• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.30 or .35 for whitetail

Brand new to air guns and I am researching PCP rifles. I traded for a Benjaman break barrel .22 for plinking, now I am looking for a hunting rifle mainly for hog but might go whitetail down the road. as I now I am looking at .30 vs .35 calibers. Am I looking at what I should be? or do I really need to step up from there? The internet is quite confusing on the subject and I don't want to go with the minimum, but I am disabled ad don't want to much either.

i have taken many whitetail and hogs here in Alabama (Z-B) with a wildcat mk2 and now a Uragan1 in .30.
neck and brain shots did very well.
with a recluse, a AEA challenger standard, a rex carbine all in .35, didnt do much more damage than a well placed .30 jsb knockout slug.
both will do the job if you do your part....... :sneaky:

Last edited:
I would suggest you go at least .35cal-9mm. if your after hogs too. A lot depends on your budget. For a medium budget I would checking out AEA .35cal. The have a wide variety from Challengers in conventional stocks or bullpups, to the HP series. If you want accuracy, power, and a decent trigger I would check out the Challenger Pro in .30 or .35 cal. They have a lot of power but heavy. The HP SF series even comes in select fire(bolt action or semi auto).

Reactions: Lead head
Like Gendoc I'd have no problem taking whitetail or hogs with a .30. Your previous threads indicate budget lies in the "starter" PCP arena; only current offering is the Gauntlet .30. JTS Airacuda .30 has announced, but not yet available. Not aware of DAR or Air Venturi offerings in .30. Your top budget limit (gun only) might help members offering suggestions. WM

As 'Worried Man' mentioned, the Umarex Gauntlet 30 is probably your budget rifle. I happen to have one and it shoots well, both pellets and slugs. But it's rather heavy. If I may ask, what is the nature of your disability? I myself have walking problems. I can walk for hours at a slow speed, stalking is no problem. But if you're going to hike a long way to your shooting area, you might want to consider something lighter.

You’re in Texas. You need .30 plus 215 FPE. I’d recommend a .357 Texan or a Hopped up Bulldog. Don’t bother with .30. It’s too small in my opinion. A .457 Texan or Bulldog would definitely get it done. I currently have a .357 Bulldog (Tuarus) that shoots 185gr at 875 fps for 315 FPE.

Last edited:
Tumbleweed,
Looks like zx10wall is correct, you'll need a big bore for legal Texas deer hunting. Pyramyd Air, PCP section, will display popular choices if you select larger bore sizes in the caliber selection box. Price range of $900, on up, might be a budget buster. Big bores are usually not "backyard friendly", gulp lots of air and use expensive ammo. Recommend used on Member Classifieds, if you elect to go this way, not uncommon for them to show up. WM

Reactions: zx10wall
Brand new to air guns and I am researching PCP rifles. I traded for a Benjaman break barrel .22 for plinking, now I am looking for a hunting rifle mainly for hog but might go whitetail down the road. as I now I am looking at .30 vs .35 calibers. Am I looking at what I should be? or do I really need to step up from there? The internet is quite confusing on the subject and I don't want to go with the minimum, but I am disabled ad don't want to much either.
If you don't mind bumping up to a .457 someone in the classifieds is selling their aea max 457, and I'm pretty sure I've also seen someone selling an aea max in 357 for somewhere between $350 and $450. I've shot the 357 and it has the power and accuracy to take down hog, deer, gator, etc.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
For me as far as deer go min .35 cal with 200 fpe. Shots with such a set up 50 yards and in. For big game such as deer something I can’t put into the chest lung area but requires a head shot is a no go for ME.
yeah, id go bigger unless the deer are small in your area and you have a stand and the shots are ~25 yds .. not saying you cant use a smaller mid range airgun on something, hell, i bet i could kill a deer with a headshot close range with a .22 airgun .. but realistically, something as large as deer would drop much more positively with a .45 or .50 .. i have a bulldog and i could get a small deer with it close range no problem, but really i feel its more suitable for bigger pest sized critters, coons, foxes etc .. .. as far as the .30-.35 argument i dont think there is one, theyre going to be in the same ballpark more or less, marginal on anything but a small deer close range ..again not saying you cant drop an elk with one with a perfect shot ..but a .45 is about twice as good id say .. your just not using that for squirreling haha .. its for one thing only ..

You’re in Texas. You need .30 plus 215 FPE. I’d recommend a .357 Texan or a Hopped up Bulldog. Don’t bother with .30. It’s too small in my opinion. A .457 Texan or Bulldog would definitely get it done. I currently have a .357 Bulldog (Tuarus) that shoots 185gr at 875 fps for 315 FPE.
Bulldog M357 is good to go. Don’t have to do much to them out of the box.

yeah, id go bigger unless the deer are small in your area and you have a stand and the shots are ~25 yds .. not saying you cant use a smaller mid range airgun on something, hell, i bet i could kill a deer with a headshot close range with a .22 airgun .. but realistically, something as large as deer would drop much more positively with a .45 or .50 .. i have a bulldog and i could get a small deer with it close range no problem, but really i feel its more suitable for bigger pest sized critters, coons, foxes etc .. .. as far as the .30-.35 argument i dont think there is one, theyre going to be in the same ballpark more or less, marginal on anything but a small deer close range ..again not saying you cant drop an elk with one with a perfect shot ..but a .45 is about twice as good id say .. your just not using that for squirreling haha .. its for one thing only ..
All depends on the .35 gun too. I have an aea big bore 9mm that does over 300 fpe. Big step away from a bulldog, Seneca or impact.