• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.30 Maverick getting cranked up!

Been doing some mods to my .30 Maverick with 700mm heavy liner in my quest for 150 FPE. I'm starting to get closer and closer. Current mods are Huma dual transfer port, Huma pin probe, Huma 57mm spring, 26 gram tungsten hammer, 300 bar bottle, Huma high pressure regulator up front with the rear one currently bypassed. Reg pressure around 200 bar but will know for sure when my digital gauge gets here. My next mod for power will be completely deleting the bag regulator and installing another plenum piece for around a 160cc plenum. No plans for internal work yet but we will see. Shooting 68 grains ZAN slugs over 970 FPS without much fine tuning. Definitely think some 70+ grain slugs will be ideal for max power.

Screenshot_20221214-155941~2.png

Any chance you have been shooting groups as you go along? Any pictures?
Thanks,
John
Not a ton of groups as of yet. Havent really tried to get great groups. However first time shooting the 72 grain Griffin slugs this morning I did this... 35 yards just picking a spot out of the 2x12 to shoot at.

PXL_20221217_160710135.jpg

Those are some impressive numbers that you have gotten out of your Maverick. I'm curious as to what is the longest length of slug (and it's weight) that will fit inside the Maverick's magazine
The 68 grains Zan slugs fit in the stock magazine. However I don't think much else will fit. All the other larger slugs I use a single shot loader.. I would really like to see a gravity fed slug loader for the longer slugs. I think it could be done by someone with good 3d printing skills.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I may have actually misspoken. I just ordered that piece and the technician said it will move the bottle forward slightly but not alot.
I don't have one to measure but it looks like the bottle would have to go forward six inches to gain 71cc if added to what's there. If the new tube is replacing the rear section it looks like the bottle will only move forward about an inch but it doesn't look like it would make 160cc that way.
You're doing very well though. I'm slowly working my way up on the vulcan 3 getting 135fpe around 170 bar with a 70gn avs at 932. The control board for the electronic lead screw on my lathe failed but I've got a new one on the way so I can continue making parts to experiment with. I've been putting the lathe repair off for months now but it's time to stop procrastinating and get to work.

Last edited:
I don't have one to measure but it looks like the bottle would have to go forward six inches to gain 71cc if added to what's there. If the new tube is replacing the rear section it looks like the bottle will only move forward about an inch but it doesn't look like it would make 160cc that way.
You're doing very well though. I'm slowly working my way up on the vulcan 3 getting 135fpe around 170 bar with a 70gn avs at 932. The control board for the electronic lead screw on my lathe failed but I've got a new one on the way so I can continue making parts to experiment with. I've been putting the lathe repair off for months now but it's time to stop procrastinating and get to work.
Yes the technician at FX said it shouldn't go out no more than an inch or less which would be fine with me. Wish I had a and knew how to use a lathe.. I would have too many projects for it.

Yes the technician at FX said it shouldn't go out no more than an inch or less which would be fine with me. Wish I had a and knew how to use a lathe.. I would have too many projects for it.
No one knows until they learn. Buy yourself a lathe and get started, there's lots of good youtube channels to learn from like Joe Pie. Keep learning and keep your mind active, you'll age better. I have a Grizzly G0602 lathe but I wish now I had purchased a gunsmithing lathe for easier work on barrels. I have a Grizzly G0704 mill.

How long are the 78 grain boat tail slugs from Griffin ?
I need to go measure them.. they are long enough that they don't even fit into my single loader. I have to remove that too and then literally put it in by hand. I have some good ideas for a gravity fed magazine that would be able to feed the longest of slugs but would need the help of someone with the skills on a 3d printer or something.