• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.30 FX Maverick maxed out

Since owning my .30 maverick, I have went down the road to more power and have successfully found it along with some problems. First off I would like to mention I have reached 157 FPE briefly which I believe may be near the absolute limit without a longer barrel (current 700mm) or valve/port work. Current mods are 300 bar bottle, Huma high pressure regulator set to max (200 bar), Huma dual transfer port, pin probe, Huma 57mm spring, 27 grams tungsten hammer, and additional plenum extension to make it about 150cc. For reference I have found that the additional plenum will add a small amount of power but it may not be a worthwhile gain without internal work to the gun. It seems at this level, max energy will come using slugs weighing 75-85 grains. In my quest I have found the Achilles heel to the maverick is indeed the cocking rod as others have found. After bending the stock one I attempted to make a replacement from O1 tool steel, which I did. However it bent almost immediately as it needs to be hardened (duh). So I made a 3rd rod that I heated to glowing red, quenched in oil, and then tempered for an hour at 400 degrees. This i believe is what the maverick should come with! With success also came failure as now my cocking rod was too hard for the grub screws to bite into and would cause it to slide. It seems I have solved this by using a very small rotary diamond wheel and putting notches into the cocking rod where the grub screws go. After 50 or so shots now it has not slipped. The next point of failure with undoubtedly be the alignment tube that the rod slides into on the front scope mount. I broke the original one and do believe with many many shots that it may happen again. I will be looking into having one made from stainless for increased rigidity. Hopefully any of this information can be beneficial for those who want to go down the same path. I also challenge FX as well for some small design tweaks to the cocking assembly.

I admire your efforts to find the extreme ragged edge of what the Maverick can produce.
I agree that the grub screws that lock the cocking rod to the lever are a weak design. It has been an issue since the gun was first introduced and to my knowledge continues to be an issue. Shame on FX for not fixing this.
I do not understand pushing the gun to it’s ragged edge of performance by adding components that boost the power far beyond the design and performance parameters the fact

I admire your efforts to find the extreme ragged edge of what the Maverick can produce.
I agree that the grub screws that lock the cocking rod to the lever are a weak design. It has been an issue since the gun was first introduced and to my knowledge continues to be an issue. Shame on FX for not fixing this.
I do not understand pushing the gun to it’s ragged edge of performance by adding components that boost the power far beyond the design and performance parameters the fact
It's just fun to do. I like to see what it truly is capable of.