• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Technologies .30 caliber guns

@Bhuntin am not a proponent of the .30 caliber. I also hunt. I don’t typically shoot animals at long range, so BC isn’t a big concern for me. I can do what needs doing with a .25 or .357. I’ve shot a .25 at 100 yards and was satisfied with its performance compared the .30. What I found more convincing is when I took some beavers with a .25. I thought about using a .30 caliber on that hunt, but I had a critical bolt that backs out of that gun that I didn’t want to risk losing in the dark so it stayed home. I also get more pellets per tin in .25 as opposed to .30. I get more shots per fill from my .25 as opposed to .30 caliber. So for practical reasons I’m not a big fan of the .30. If I need something larger then I jump to .357. The increase in energy produced between a .30 and .357 is more substantial than the difference between a .25 and .30 caliber. In conclusion, if you’re set upon buying a .30 caliber truck gun, I’m probably not the best person to ask. However, I will say that I’ve contemplated trying a .30 Vulcan or an Uragan, just not enough to rush out and buy one. I can’t say from experience that either are good truck guns, but I think I’d like the Vulcan over the Uragan for a truck gun from what I’ve read.

To answer your question, the Evol is a tough .30 and I have one. For me it’s just not a truck gun. It costs too much for me to knock around and scratch up in the truck. It’s long and I’d rather have a .357 Bulldog in my truck because it can punch a larger hole, I can get a good 5 shots from a single charge (or up to 10 shots depending upon which model and projectile I shoot), it’s also tough and reliable, and I’ve taken larger animals with it. So considering what I paid for both platforms, the Bulldog is a better bang for my buck. I’ve broken parts on the Bulldog and they were cheap and easy to replace. I’ve had an issue with minor parts on the .30 Evol and they were not as easy to replace or remedy.
Thanks for that response it helps maybe a .25 would be the way to go for those reasons I’m new to air gun hunting so I think you need a .30 to be as strong as a .22 fire arm but maybe I’m mistaken on that my .457 Texan is my deer gun which so far so good and a .20 gauge swa air shot gun Terry Tate builds is a great all around and turkey gun just thinking of a varmant /coyote gun to leave in truck or side by side appreciate info

@Bhuntin No problem. If a coyote is around livestock and presents an immediate threat I’m shooting what I have on-hand. I don’t care if that’s a slingshot. I’ll tell you like I recently told another member asking for advice on ballistics, I am not the guy to ask about that. What I can tell you is what has worked for me for my purposes. We can talk hunting with airguns, but the science and numbers components to airgunning are where I’m limited in knowledge. I don’t methodically push those boundaries. I am confident in my understating of what works for me within my comfort zone.

Last edited:
I will chime in with @Ezana4CE and say many times it's what you have in hand when the shooting opportunity presents itself. It's a matter of knowing your skill level for the type of shot that you can make to achieve an ethical kill. I have more .25 caliber guns than anything else as it works great for small game and I have more confidence with the larger game if the opportunity arises. I have a Vulcan 3 700 in .30 but with the moderator and scope, it's not a walking hunting choice for me. I take the PHC .25 out walking as it is easier to maneuver around for me as well as my EVOL .22. YMMV!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezana4CE
I will chime in with @Ezana4CE and say many times it's what you have in hand when the shooting opportunity presents itself. It's a matter of knowing your skill level for the type of shot that you can make to achieve an ethical kill. I have more .25 caliber guns than anything else as it works great for small game and I have more confidence with the larger game if the opportunity arises. I have a Vulcan 3 700 in .30 but with the moderator and scope, it's not a walking hunting choice for me. I take the PHC .25 out work walking as it is easier to maneuver around for me as well as my EVOL .22. YMMV!
Thanks to both of you input helps

my uragan-1 in .30 has been an excellent hunting machine ever since Mr. Wall put his hands on it 3 years ago. i've taken many whitetail and Hogs with it using KO slugs @ 105fpe.
always super accurate for brain and neck shots.
i've had the fx guns and there very nice and i still have a few smaller calibers but in .30, nothing compares in my type of hunting situations.

Reactions: Chard and mercado