.30 caliber for squirrels? Why and why not?

I think it would be a mistake,get a .22 for now,be happy and maybe get a .30 down the road..the simple reason is shot placement....and practicing ;in other words you can get a lot more "easy" practice with a .22...like more shots per fill,etc.

Now if you just like blasting things the .30 would fill That bill very nicely...and would be "fun".

I am still studying air guns. Have been since September '19.

Still trying to decide on my first airgun purchase. I am thinking why not a .30 caliber pcp for squirrels which is my main pest right now, although there are possum, raccoon, coyote I am certain to have problems with eventually. I just moved to northeast Al. on the cumberland mountain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where are you located in Alabama?

I am in Chelsea Alabama -- halfway between Birmingham and Childersburg -- on US Highway 280.

You can test my .177s, .22s, .25s and .30 cal.

I am in the Hytop area on Cumberland Mountain and it is wild up here. I live right on the edge of the wilderness and I have seen bobcat, giant black puma looking cat, red fox, deer, coyote, raccoons and squirrels. Coons and squirrels seem to continuously run across my roof. I would like to eventually take one of all these deer I see around here for my freezer. Seems like the way to go around here. I have read several articles about what is the best all purpose caliber air rifle, and noticed a few air rifles with interchangeable barrels which is a really cool thing these days. I have seen several Wildcat's and Boss's for sale since I started looking at the classified's only a week ago. I have always been a pretty good shot as a kid. I've owned a couple of .177 crosman pellet guns in my younger days. The critters around here are bold. Been looking at squirrel dumpling receipes! Thankyou for all the feedback. I greatly appreciate it and will be giving more feedback soon. Being certain to delliver head shots to squirrels makes lots of sense.

I am in the Hytop area on Cumberland Mountain and it is wild up here. I live right on the edge of the wilderness and I have seen bobcat, giant black puma looking cat, red fox, deer, coyote, raccoons and squirrels. Coons and squirrels seem to continuously run across my roof. I would like to eventually take one of all these deer I see around here for my freezer. Seems like the way to go around here. I have read several articles about what is the best all purpose caliber air rifle, and noticed a few air rifles with interchangeable barrels which is a really cool thing these days. I have seen several Wildcat's and Boss's for sale since I started looking at the classified's only a week ago. I have always been a pretty good shot as a kid. I've owned a couple of .177 crosman pellet guns in my younger days. The critters around here are bold. Been looking at squirrel dumpling receipes! Thankyou for all the feedback. I greatly appreciate it and will be giving more feedback soon. Being certain to delliver head shots to squirrels makes lots of sense.

It is different when you live in a civilized spot. In London they use. 117 with a top of 12 foot pounds. 

You live in the wild!!!... Go for a. 30 ... Find a good one: Uragan- Wolverine HP R... You need power on your hands when needed!!!

Thank you 2manyairgunz for the invite, and everyone else who has contributed to my expanding knowledge base. I am a novice, but have looked at every air rifle for sale on the well known various vendors sites and studied intentively, and even looked at a few exploded blueprints of a few pistols and rifles. Can't wait to tinker with my own rig. I remember my first pellet gun back in the eighties. The leshy 2 is super interesting and I that is one I haven't explored yet, though am in the process. Wow. Eduard. Great ideas. I have a Remington .306 that's been in the family since the early eighties that I would go with my dad deer hunting with as a teenager in the early 80's. I absolutely like the idea of being a bit more stealthy and not using a powder burner shells, etc, on pests. That is a great idea Chipell. I've been looking hard at the fx dreamline variants in .25 and .30. I understand most importantly the necessity paying close attention to background with all calibers especially the larger ones. I almost got a sig asp20 several months ago but I kept looking!!! I am glad I did. Nothing against sig or break barrels. Just think I'd be happier with a pcp though I had doubts initially. It is also a great idea to shoot some of what I am interested in before I buy. But, I may just go ahead and dive in and roll from there. Length of pull is something I have been checking on several online. I have long arms.

That's what I have been thinking davidsng. Thank you all so much for the valuable feedback fellas. All good stuff. I might get me a night vision scope to take out a few of these giant rats too that been eating my corn I put out to start some deer heading more this direction next season. The idea of a lightweight bullpup is appealing since I like to walk. 

That's what I have been thinking davidsng. Thank you all so much for the valuable feedback fellas. All good stuff. I might get me a night vision scope to take out a few of these giant rats too that been eating my corn I put out to start some deer heading more this direction next season. The idea of a lightweight bullpup is appealing since I like to walk.

There are fantastic deals to be had "out there" on refurbed ATN X-sight Pro 4k in both 3-14 and 5-20. I think the 3-14 is 499 directly from ATN.

Here are some of the pluses and minuses to me using 30 cal.

+ More energy and thwack on target + wider projectile to tear flesh = possibly more success on larger varmints. Probably the best pick for hunting as #1 priority.

- More expensive per projectile - usually more air used - usually louder - harder cocking depending on rifle - lower capacity mags compared to smaller calibers = not the best caliber for general use and if hunting isn't #1 priority. 

But if one planned on buying one gun and that was it, (yeah right, when does that ever happen, lol), then shooting a 30 cal is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of smaller caliber airguns for various applications. 

Thankyou steve123. Pretty much nails it, along with the input from everyone else. Just haven't decided between .25 and .30. Right now I say I will probably only buy one air rifle, but like you said, who can buy just one, and I have the fever already. Makes great sense to own a .22 and a .30 both. Turning the power down on a .30 and head shooting squirrels with a high powered scope makes good sense and I've seen it done on hunting videos. Power up some for coons etc. Experiment with pellets and slugs. Plus I'd be learning trajectory patterns while learning the in's and out's of a good scope. As a kid , we always just used iron sights with our old crosman's. I've seen several really nice .25's for sale around. I may end up owning at least all four calibers after I start shooting again and living in the country where I've moved. I see how each caliber has their respective functions.

My ma has been liking to come over with nicely filled bird feeders and see what all new wild birds she can attract and view. Squirrels are wearing it out as the feeders aren't squirrel proof. I see it as much better squirrel dumplings. Every squirrel for a few square miles has feasted. My pitbull has snagged two on their way up a tree trunk. He's become quite stealthy. 👹 🐾 😁 Have a couple troublesome coons. I hear they can rip a dog up pretty good.