• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.30 Caliber Flat Nose Slug

Out of genuine interest, I would like to know why (or for what application) you would choose a truncated cone slug over a hollow pointed slug?
@HN Sport I'd use that sort of slug for hunting. Unless a hollow point slug is expanding inside of an animal, I prefer a round nose pellet, a semi-wadcutter slug or wadcutter slug (flat meplat). The idea is that it will make a wider wound channel than a round nose slug, I think It would make a wider wound channel than a hollow point that does not expand inside of the animal. I've shot a deer with a hollow point airgun slug that did not appear to expand much until it broke through a rib bone. There wasn't much tissue left on the other side of that rib before exiting the animal (a complete pass through), but the deer didn't leave a blood trail. Several airgun hunters I've read posts of have had similar experiences. It is very helpful for hunters to be able to shoot an animal and know that their shot will make the animal bleed to death within a reasonable amount of time. In the process we'd like the wound to leave a visible trail of blood leading to the place that the animal falls or lays down and succumbs to its wound so that we can recover the animal. Considering this, a larger wound channel is more desirable as opposed to a small hole with little to no blood leaking from it.

Also, when shooting paper targets, flat nosed projectiles seem to punch cleaner holes in paper so that it is easier to examine targets after practicing (think of wadcutter pellets and semi-wadcutter firearm bullets). Maybe this is useful in competition shooting events as well. This is my take. I don't know what the person who asked about them is seeking.

@HN Sport I'd use that sort of slug for hunting. Unless a hollow point slug is expanding inside of an animal, I prefer a round nose pellet, a semi-wadcutter slug or wadcutter slug (flat meplat). The idea is that it will make a wider wound channel than a round nose slug, I think It would make a wider wound channel than a hollow point that does not expand inside of the animal. I've shot a deer with a hollow point airgun slug that did not appear to expand much until it broke through a rib bone. There wasn't much tissue left on the other side of that rib before exiting the animal (a complete pass through), but the deer didn't leave a blood trail. Several airgun hunters I've read posts of have had similar experiences. It is very helpful for hunters to be able to shoot an animal and know that their shot will make the animal bleed to death within a reasonable amount of time. In the process we'd like the wound to leave a visible trail of blood leading to the place that the animal falls or lays down and succumbs to its wound so that we can recover the animal. Considering this, a larger wound channel is more desirable as opposed to a small hole with little to no blood leaking from it.

Also, when shooting paper targets, flat nosed projectiles seem to punch cleaner holes in paper so that it is easier to examine targets after practicing (think of wadcutter pellets and semi-wadcutter firearm bullets). Maybe this is useful in competition shooting events as well. This is my take. I don't know what the person who asked about them is seeking.
Perfectly said, when you look at the slug offerings at one of the major online outlets (pyramid) under .30 slugs almost all of them are HP outside of a few of the much heavier, longer slugs.

Reactions: Flash_The_Floof
Hollow points are mostly there to balance the slug..
Interesting, I always assumed having more weight up front and less in the rear would be inherently more stable. Thank you
@Bernie7 I'm no ballistatician and I've learned a decent amount on these forums. I don't know what @cosmic 's basis for this statement is. Maybe he can elaborate further on that point for clarification. However, I have read that with some airgun slug designs, the hollow point cavity is used for a certain balance or weight distribution for the projectile's stability. I don't know much more about it beyond that point. If we're talking stability I'd think a balanced solid slug is more desirable. To support my idea, look at the boattail slug. I haven't taken them to extremely long distances, but they are said to be one of the better slugs for long distance shooting. I have shot some hollow points with ballistic tips (.357 Nosler Ballistic tip Extreme slugs 145 grain) from a stock .357 Bulldog. They start dropping horrible beyond 65-70 yards. They were advertised as slugs made for this gun. I'd like to compare their trajectory to a boattail. I don't think I've shot them side by side to make that comparison. My understanding of the general purpose of a hollow point is to create a larger wound channel and to terminate within the target and to transfer the maximum amount of energy from the projectile to the target. This is a summary my basic understanding. I'll leave the rest to people in the know with more experience. If you're interested, I suggest that you read up on the topic for more details so that you can draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: Bernie7
Hi !

Yes , I can make .30 slugs with flat tip and dish base , see photos .

Jesfranco

30 a.jpg

Out of genuine interest, I would like to know why (or for what application) you would choose a truncated cone slug over a hollow pointed slug? I'm trying to perform a shot in which I am looking for maximum penetration to go through a soft target and not break apart. I'd like the bullet to carry as much energy with it after going through the target.

Out of genuine interest, I would like to know why (or for what application) you would choose a truncated cone slug over a hollow pointed slug?
I'm trying to perform a shot in which I am looking for maximum penetration to go through a soft target and not break apart. I'd like the bullet to carry as much energy with it after going through the target.