• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning .30 cal slugs with 600mm barrel

Hi guys, I'm will soon receive my Great White SCBA tank from Joe Broncato!! I am eager to start testing .30 cal nielsen slugs, but I always hear people saying you need a 700mm barrel, however I have the 600mm barrel. I hope to get input from you guys and see what you think about the difference between an extra 4 inches, I'm not trying to spend an extra $400 for and extra 4 inches of barrel lol. I hoping I can get the same results from my 600mm barrel. Can anyone guide me to what speeds you guys are shooting .30 cal nielsen slugs at? Possibly include reg pressure, hammer spring measurements, and valve measurements that way I have something to work off of. Much appreciated.

You don't need any specific barrel length to shoot slugs. Simplifying the origin if that myth - the longer the barrel, the higher the velocity for a given reg pressure + plenum volume.

You'd want more plenum volume the longer the barrel is, but it's a relatively insignificant requirement for shorter barrels, since that plenum volume is effectively filling the barrel bore chamber with pressurized air - driving the projectile. 

That's the rudimentary explanation, so I hope that makes sense!