• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30 Cal JSB Pellet Sort again

I'm getting ready for a 100 yard match this weekend, so I figured I had better sort a batch of Pellets by weight. What a surprise compared to what I did a couple of years ago. There's quite a distribution and I saved the largest number of like weights, but I did get some outliers from 43.5 gr to 45.7 gr. That's a 5 percent spread which I'm sure would result in hitting the target where I didn't want it to. I used a small Frankford Arsenal scale that only measured to 0.1 grain increments.

2023 2021
30 cal pellet sort June 2023.jpg
JSB 44.75 weight distribution 2021.jpg

Good news~There is a new pellet in town. JTS Airguns was giving away free samples of their new .30 cal Dead Center pellets at RMAC. They take pride in their QC and the pellets are very clean and strictly sorted. I was very impressed. Will be testing them for sure. I was talking to one of their engineers and he said the center of gravity of the pellets have been shifted aft to help stabilize flight at higher speeds…hmmm

Good news~There is a new pellet in town. JTS Airguns was giving away free samples of their new .30 cal Dead Center pellets at RMAC. They take pride in their QC and the pellets are very clean and strictly sorted. I was very impressed. Will be testing them for sure. I was talking to one of their engineers and he said the center of gravity of the pellets have been shifted aft to help stabilize flight at higher speeds…hmmm
These pellets, especially the .30 cal were a big hit at RMAC. I haven’t seen his whole line in stores, only 2 sizes shown?

Have you tried the Zan 56gr pellets. They are weighted, sized, washed, lubed and have a high BC
I was practicing along with Adam Migel who uses the Zans. They look good, but I'm shooting an older FX Mk2 and I would have to re-tune the whole gun to shoot pellets that heavy. Mine shoots the 44.75 gr JSBs at 905 which seems to be a sweet spot. Would the Zans shoot ok in the 1:40 twist barrel?

I was practicing along with Adam Migel who uses the Zans. They look good, but I'm shooting an older FX Mk2 and I would have to re-tune the whole gun to shoot pellets that heavy. Mine shoots the 44.75 gr JSBs at 905 which seems to be a sweet spot. Would the Zans shoot ok in the 1:40 twist barrel?

jps I have the same barrel in the Wildcat .30, the 1:40 600mm. Been using the Javelin 56gr 910fps and 68gr 822fps. Both shoot 1 hole at 30 yards.

Reactions: jps2486
I'm getting ready for a 100 yard match this weekend, so I figured I had better sort a batch of Pellets by weight. What a surprise compared to what I did a couple of years ago. There's quite a distribution and I saved the largest number of like weights, but I did get some outliers from 43.5 gr to 45.7 gr. That's a 5 percent spread which I'm sure would result in hitting the target where I didn't want it to. I used a small Frankford Arsenal scale that only measured to 0.1 grain increments.

2023 2021
View attachment 366516View attachment 366517
Hey JSP,
I also weigh my JSB pellets and have noticed similar results:cautious:.

However, I try to keep this differential down to 1% of pellet weight or less.
JMO, but in your case that's .4475 grains -> hence I think you could consolidate group weights more before noticing a POI issue:).

Reactions: jps2486