• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

30 cal. FX impact’s report

I had a FX Impact, first Gen, with the .30. I added a Donny Sumo, with his adapter. It was quieter than stock, but it was still a beast. There are two noises: the air escaping from the muzzle and the impact of the pellet into a bucket filled with rubber mulch.

It was too loud for (my) back yard use. I could get away with one shot per half day, like an errant backfire from a car, but I couldn't shoot a string. 40+ grains going 850+ fps is going to make some sound out of both ends!

You could dial it back to shooting 20 FPE, but I couldn't see why I'd pay that much for a pellet when I can shoot my smaller caliber airguns all day long at full power and not disturb anyone. Moving the Impact to a .177 (and tuning a 15 ft/lb .22) gave me the opportunity to shoot frequently.

Plus, if 5-0 rolled up on a neighbors complaint, the Impact's overall look and the .30 cal chambering might have more dire results than interacting with them about a "BB gun" ?

My neighbors are laid back, but shooting, just by itself, can raise hackles if carried to excess.

One can almost silence the shot using a shroud and a bigger moderator, but the sound of the pellet "whizzing" thru the air on the way to the target, followed by the impact on the target is going to be the denominator here... You can shoot into a rubber mulch to reduce the sound of the pellet hitting the target, but I do not know yet of any reliable method to reduce the pellet flight "whizzing" sound. 

Thus far, on my all stock 25 FX Impact X 700mm shooting 34gr JSB at 890fps(60 fpe), the biggest noise is the pellet whizzing thru the air on the way to the target... what is the point of silencing the shot itself when the pellet flight thru the air is louder?

Yea...I think anything over 12 fpe starts to generate quite a bit of noise. My neighbor used to look over my fence and ask if I was using a nail gun...and that is basically the sound I relate to most pcp's at the minimum...and when there are roofers on a house nearby using a nail gun through-out the day, the sound is very apparent, much like sitting around shooting high energy pcp's...IMO.

Its not just the impact either, its the sudden release of high pressure...some people really seem to think their muzzle report is actually mouse fart quiet.

Going along with the "cover it, don't just suppress it" theories, I do run my air compressor (just a little Home Depot Pancake version) as background noise when putting out a string.

It does help add to the "story" that bystanders build in their minds when they hear a sound- "Oh,an air compressor is running, that must be a nail gun or stapler".

Better that then letting their minds slip in some other version for the "whack" of the pellet.

My wife does say, in less scientific terms, that the Doppler effect of the sound originating in one location and finishing 25 yards away diminishes the efficacy,

I say, better some cover than no cover at all!

What I’m hearing then about the .30cal impact sounding like a nail gun is a relief because I live across the tracks from the hood, compared to actual gunfire my .30cal “nail gun” won’t even be noticed! LMAO

LOL thats actually kinda funny - if it was not also pretty serious stuff.
I once lived in a area where gunfire were common enough that 5-0 did not roll up just because a couple shots would go off. 
One night the neighbor lady had a fight with her boyfriend who were screaming at each other around midnight.. after a while seems she emptied the pump-gun at him.. all quiet finally fora while.. 30 seconds later he starts up again "Damn bitch - you shot up my eldorado" - My girlfriend first words were "Damn she missed" SIGH..
police finally pulled up YET another 30 minutes later and hauled them both off so the rest of us could get some sleep. 

That said - my impact .30 is not quiet - I stuffed a big box with rubber mulch and a layer of black foam on top to quiet the impact. with this setup the paper-target is the biggest problem as the paper acts as a loudspeaker making a quite audible "smack" on impact. if I remove the paper, the pellet disappears into the foam and stops in the rubber-mulch stuff nice and quiet.

I typically shoot from the breakfast room, crack the door, and the shot noice is almost gone in the yard because most stays inside the cracked door.

Hey Dansker, 

Sounds like your from my neighborhood, lol. I’ve only called the law once and that’s because some idiot cut loose with a AK on full rock and roll, he was so close to my house I could hear the metallic clank of the gun cycling. Took about an hour for 5-0 to show up, they asked a few questions and took off, they don’t want to confront these people, their too scared! But me and my air rifle? I’d have S.W.A.T. Come down on my ass! Therefore! Kudos on shooting from your breakfast room door. I shoot primarily from my bedroom window lying in bed. My profile picture is my shooting port and if you look really close you can see my 100yd target and if that ain’t red neck I’ll kiss your ass.