.30 cal Delta Wolf tunes?

Has anyone started a tune chart for both grains of jsb pellets for optima accuracy? i just shot my .30 Delta Wolf today for first time at 50 yards. Only about 50 pellets (50 grain) at both 

920 fps and 890 fps. The 890 fps grouped much better. It really wasn't even close. I will send some pics soon, I used the Spuhr QDP-4046 mount. It is 34mm high. It's perfect. 

I’m trying to figure out what good the factory tunes are if the regulator is not set high enough to achieve the speed they are set at. You can set the speed at say 935fps with a 50.15 gr pellet, but with the reg set at 160 bar, I doubt you will actually achieve anywhere near it. 

I really wish the factory tunes displayed the hammer spring dwell and voltage for the last shot fired. You could pick the closest factory tune, read the two settings, go in and make an advanced set and tweak those two settings up and down to see what worked best. It would at least provide a starting point. Tuning an electric gun is different than a non electric gun, and there is no information on where to start.

Don't use WARP except maybe briefly and really, only slugs would benefit .

For the 30 I'm testing , I have two tunes you could try. Reg - 140-, dwell - 2850, volts - 76. We named it 3044 for 44 gn pellets at 880 to 890. You could lower the reg to 135 and still be fine but if you want to use 50 gn .... 3050 = reg 140, dwell 3300, volts 79. On this one, es of less than 10 at 890 and around 40 shots. This will be close but not necessarily exact for each rifle.

AoA is shipping the rifles with basic tunes for the common pellets in each caliber with the naming strategy above ... caliber/pellet weight.

It WOULD be nice to be able to see the factory baselines but they are set up with the idea of covering ALL pellet weights within a caliber , so the reg pressures are generally too high. The pc app and personal device bluetooth app will offer visibility to that and a lot of other stuff, but not sure when it will become available.

Write down the current settings and don't be shy about experimenting. Don't use max voltage except maybe briefly but other than PHYSICAL damage, you're not going to mess it up by playing with it. Once you get the hang of creating a new set, you can make changes pretty quickly in Advanced Mode and the results will show immediately. In Factory Mode , it may take a few shots to tune where you want. Jared does a good job of taking through the process in the AoA Delta Wolf vid, but there is one error he makes you should know. You CAN save as an existing name and it will overwrite the old one. This is how I modify my sets in small increments to achieve the velocity I'm after. As a generality , most pellets shoot best below 900, but of course , there are plenty of exceptions. 

I can take a screen shot somehow, of the Factory tune table and it will show the factory start points for each velocity. The problem still remains about the reg pressure so you still wouldn't be able to copy and paste.

Hope this helps. There are previous discussions that may add to the understanding .

Bob

Mark, can you be a little more specific please.

The only factory tunes i have are 3044 and warp. My reg came set at 171

I am going to shoot the 50 grain pellets because I have 10 tins left from my safari. (it shot those better than the 44 grain)

Has 860 been a good speed for the 50 grain? Should I turn reg down and use the 3044 tune?

3050 looks like the tune for 50 Grain ,not 3044 tune. Per Bob's recommend. Try inputting his #'s and if looking good then you can adjust the reg.

Forget advanced tuning of the gun for the moment, just use factory settings and set the speed to 860!

I think it depends on your distance. At 50 yards that’s probably OK, but not at 100. I was shooting yesterday factory setting with .25 JSB Kings at 855 FPS and got a 31 FPS ES over ten shots, even after shooting five to let the gun settle out. The vertical differential is about an inch at 100 just due to the speed fluctuation. I hope DS is working on the feedback from the Chrony and how it ties into the GCU to provide an acceptable ES in factory mode....

On a separate topic, have any DW owners had issues with the Chrony not displaying speed? Mine stopped showing speed, I cleaned the “window” inside the shroud, and it started working again, but only for about 40 shots. Any ideas before I send it back?

Spray1Mark means to use Factory Mode set to 860 vs the Advanced Mode setting I suggested. You could lower the time and voltage to get down to 860 on the Advanced Mode but the REAL improvement is the lowering of the reg setting. Gives much more consistent shot strings. 860 should give good accuracy... even at 100, I just seem to be in a "go directly to 890" mode, for simplicity. Again, reg setting is important for best consistency .

CC... you WILL need to clean the plastic tube that protects the chrono occasionally but 40 shots seems too soon. Are you lubing? Anything that will spray out of the barrel will make it necessary to clean more often. The Factory mode has rarely allowed an es of more than 20 and less is typical in all our tests. In Advanced Mode with the reg set properly, es is almost always single digit. You didn't mention what reg set you used.

DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE BOTTLE AND EMPTY THE PLENUM to lower the reg setting. I set mine to a low shot setting and dry fire to get below the pressure i want to get down to.

Bob

Yes, gotcha. Thanks. Reg set at 150 bar. Only because when I set it the temp outside is cool, and then when I go shooting in the heat it lowers to the low 140s, even got to 138 in AZ at the last EFT. My ES in Advanced is under 10 FPS. Normally shoot .25 Heavy at 890. Factory mode ES at 20 minimum. I was trying Kings yesterday when I got the 31 ES. Twice. Set at 855 with Factory settings for 25.4 grain.

Spray1Mark means to use Factory Mode set to 860 vs the Advanced Mode setting I suggested. You could lower the time and voltage to get down to 860 on the Advanced Mode but the REAL improvement is the lowering of the reg setting. Gives much more consistent shot strings. 860 should give good accuracy... even at 100, I just seem to be in a "go directly to 890" mode, for simplicity. Again, reg setting is important for best consistency .

CC... you WILL need to clean the plastic tube that protects the chrono occasionally but 40 shots seems too soon. Are you lubing? Anything that will spray out of the barrel will make it necessary to clean more often. The Factory mode has rarely allowed an es of more than 20 and less is typical in all our tests. In Advanced Mode with the reg set properly, es is almost always single digit. You didn't mention what reg set you used.

DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE BOTTLE AND EMPTY THE PLENUM to lower the reg setting. I set mine to a low shot setting and dry fire to get below the pressure i want to get down to.

Bob

Are you saying you dry fire the gun to get well below where you want to set the reg to, then lower the reg in lieu of removing the bottle?

I too am trying to tune for the 50.15 pellet. I am currently using the factory 3050 setting, with the speed set at 875. My reg setting fluctuates between 158 bar and 165 bar. It shoots ok, but I think it can do better.

Should I try Bobs settings in advanced mode with my reg where it is and then try lowering it? I am fearful of removing the bottle and dry firing, (to degas to lower the reg) because the last time I tried removing the bottle on a gun from the factory, the bottle was on so tight that the dowty seal was torn, and I had to wait a week for a replacement.

On another note, does anyone know the min/max settings for the regulator, hammer dwell, and voltage?

Bob is correct, I wasn't actually discounting "tuning" as such, just set the speed lower first and shoot it.

Personally I have never seen .30's shoot well at more than 860-880 FPS and don't forget we shoot 100 yards indoors, so I am simply talking the performance of the gun, not your ability to read wind etc. etc. as mine is rubbish!

Bob

Thanks. Not sure what my issue is. I cleaned the gun and plastic tube “window” today prior to shooting. After 3 magazines it stopped showing speed again. Could be an electrical connection? Will remove barrel and reinstall checking the three connectors that go from shroud to breech.

Edit: I just experimented with the gun it USED TO display speed when used with a moderator. I removed the STO mod and the speed came back with shots Tried another mod DonnyFL Tatsu and Ronin, ZerodB, and a different STO. All of them adversely affected the chrono. Not sure what the issue could be but it’s definitely too loud to shoot without a moderator... ;(

Also, I think I’m not the only one that experiences severe reg pressure swings with temperature. It’s odd that of all the Huma regs I’ve had, this is the only one that has done that. Is it my gun or is it a class issue? Seems maybe the vent path for the reg isn’t “venting”? Hopefully Huma can figure that out and provide a solution.

And just so it doesn’t look like all I do is complain, or don’t like the Delta. I call mine White Fang, and it’s positives FAR outweigh its negatives. If I didn’t like it I would have sold it already. FYI, here’s a ten shot group Friday with .25 Heavy (who knows Mk1 or Mk2, mine look the same to me). This group was from a tin labeled Mk2 but they look EXACTLY like my tins of Mk1 and my FX Heavy. Pellets at approx 890 FPS (I think, couldn’t tell). Anyway, 9 ring is 1.2 inches. 102 yards. Fairly windy left to right approx 9 mph. 

339C1E79-B081-4D66-A3A8-63E8CDFBD802.1618098597.jpeg

Man... lot of questions.

@cmatera... it would likely take a LOT of dry firing to get below desired set point, depending on the current fill. Removing the bottle is best and then dry fire to lower the RESIDUAL pressure. I put mine in as gentle of tune as I have so as not overhit the valve as the pressure drops. The point of lowering the reg pressure is to make the tune more on the knee where it is less sensitive to small pressure changes. Hopefully you received more than 1 dowty seal. I've yet to blow one but unscrew it as suddenly as possible. They put an oring in the bottle now, as well as the dowty. Works a bit easier on the new ones. There may be an oring groove in the bottle for that purpose in the older ones. 

The reg min is 90 bar and max is 190 bar... according to Huma.

The voltage min has been different on a couple, but mine is 66 v and max is 88 v. Best not to use max except briefly, per our latest briefing.

The dwell min is 1500 and max is 4000, if memory serves me correctly.

CC... it sounds like the connector at the base of the shroud is misaligned. Mods have no bearing on it except maybe the weight on the end. You might pull the shroud off and loosen the connector block grub screws, then loosen barrel locking screw slightly and set the barrel flange flush with the front of the magazine port, then lock it down. Then do your best to center the connector into it's pocket and hold well as you lock it down. Reinstall the shroud and see if thats better.

I've reached out to Huma about the regs and have had little assistance. Might not hurt for anyone with perceived issues to reach out to them. I've been through it carefully and see no design flaws. The rifle itself nor the tank should have any bearing on the way they perform. Mine has at least 10 k through it in all calibers, possibly double that... I don't count. It currently moves a few bar from full to empty but my tunes make that unimportant. Es over the charge at 145 bar with King Heavies is single digit, including the first shot. Hopefully we can find the reason. In thinking about it, I wonder if the large range of pressure is the base cause. More to test, I guess.

Bob

This is good info. Thank you all, especially Bob. I've been asking for this information from Daystate for over a year. Daystate-if you sell an electric gun and tout its ease of tuning, provide some info on HOW TO DO IT. You can do this from anywhere in the world even during a pandemic. With the info Bob has provided, I now have an idea of the min/max for the reg, hammer dwell, and voltage. Now if Daystate would provide us a recommended min/max range for the reg, hammer dwell, and voltage for .177, .22, .25 and .30, we could all tune away.

My first Delta Wolf had the air bottle bubba'd on so tight the dowty seal got destroyed just unscrewing the bottle. AoA sent me 2. I used one (which solved the problem), and gave one to Wilber, who had the same problem. I also ordered some 12mmx19mm dowty seals from a company named Belmetric in MA, of course the Daystate ones are only 18mm OD. I will call AoA tomorrow and hopefully get a couple on the way before removing the bottle on my current gun. I will then lower the reg to 140 and have already set the speed to 860 in the 3050 factory tune, and give it a go. Like CC I am perplexed at the variance in the reg reading variance by temperature. Maybe it was always there, but not noticeable on an analog gauge vs the electronic readout. 

I also look forward to Bob's reply on how to remove the shroud/clean the chronograph window because although I don't have the issue now, I am almost certain to be dealing with it in the future.