30 cal crush all other calibers???

I got into airgun watching Ted video 10 plus years ago. Ted have always said, the best caliber in terms of weight, size, accuracy, buffing the wind, etc, was the .25 cal. How much he talks so highly of the .25 cal. That is why most of my guns are .25 cals. I own a few .22 too. But never 30 or 35 cal. And now I see Ted ditching the .25 cal and going toward the .30 cal. He shoot 10 shot groups at 75 yards and 100 yards and they are literally hole in hole. WoW. I have never seen a gun so accurate. He is doing group size at 100 yards as most ppl are doing at 30-50 yards. And that isn't picking the best like most ppl do. He is doing it over and over and over again with his .30 cal. And no other caliber can beat it. Not even his best .25 cal impact. So did I went with the wrong caliber .25??? Damn none of my .22 and .25 cal can do what Teds 30 cal is doing. So makes me think, is the .30 cal the ultimate beast or what? Making me want to toss my .25 cal barrel away and go get a new .30 cal.

Screenshot from his video. 100 yards
Screenshot_20220922-131959_YouTube.jpg

Here are some 75 yards and all hole in hole. Not cheery picking like most ppl do.
Screenshot_20220922-131952_YouTube.jpg

Link to his video.

Can you shoot as well as Ted?
Are chasing a thought?
What if at a later date he shoots a .35 cal. better than the .30?
Sometimes it is the shooter,not so much the caliber,that said if you are shooting long range the bigger cal. may help you.
Can you replace your .25 ca. with a 30?
I would say no,not until you can get the best you can with what you got.

@Shinyknight My guns are for killing. However, I have shot .22, .25, .30, and .357 airguns and pellets at paper 25-100 yards and at some point I’ve shot groups where most of the holes are touching. My abilities to do so consistently at long distance just aren’t there. But on the occasions that I’ve managed a good group or two I saw what the guns could do. I’m partial to .25, but I own an exceptional .30 Evol. My only real concern is killing an animal within 2 shots, preferably on the first shot.

With that said, are you a bench rest shooter, casual plinker, backyard shooter or what? What are your goals? Do you wish to achieve consistent hole-in-hole groups in order to compete or just to know that you can do it when shooting at your leisure? Do you hunt or shoot pests?

Last edited:
@Shinyknight My guns are for killing. However, I have shot .22, .25, .30, and .357 airguns and pellets at paper 25-100 yards and at some point I’ve shot groups where most of the holes are touching. My abilities to do so consistently at long distance just aren’t there. But on the occasions that I’ve managed a good group or two I saw what the guns could do. I’m partial to .25, but I own an exceptional .30 Evol. My only real concern is killing an animal within 2 shots, preferably on the first shot.

With that said, are you a bench rest shooter, casual plinker, backyard shooter or what? What are your goals? Do you wish to achieve cosnstent hole in hole groups in order to compete or just to know that you can do it when shooting at your leisure? Do you hunt or shoot pests?
I hunt rabbits, squirrels, birds etc. Most animals I hunt are scared of human. So they see you they run away or fly away. So I like to take very long shots like over 100 yards to 200 yards. I'm not a paper shooter or bench rest. I shoot groups on paper to know if my gun can hit same spot over and over. Not like hit it once or twice. I want it to be repeatable. So shooting paper for groups will tell me if its repeatable or not. So having a gun that can do half inch at 100 yards, hole in hole, then I know my gun is capable of hitting my target far away. If my gun is doing on paper groups like 1 inches to 2 inches at 100 yards, sure I might hit a bird at 100 yards, but will be it the kill zone I was aiming for. Most likely not.

I hunt rabbits, squirrels, birds etc. Most animals I hunt are scared of human. So they see you they run away or fly away. So I like to take very long shots like over 100 yards to 200 yards. I'm not a paper shooter or bench rest. I shoot groups on paper to know if my gun can hit same spot over and over. Not like hit it once or twice. I want it to be repeatable. So shooting paper for groups will tell me if its repeatable or not. So having a gun that can do half inch at 100 yards, hole in hole, then I know my gun is capable of hitting my target far away.
@Shinyknight I see things a little different, but I think I can better understand your perspective after reading the above statement. For me the first shot is the one that matters most. On paper or in the woods. “In the woods” being key concerning distance.

Your situation is entirely different. 100-200 yards? I imagine you will be shooting into unobstructed open spaces more often than not. If so, I imagine you’re going to face much more wind than I generally would unless I’m hog or coyote hunting in pastureland. Even still, these are much larger targets and I’m generally not shooting at multiple animals. So I can see your concern being different.

Last edited:
Ted shot a .25 Impact at RMAC 2022 and came in 9th, with a 210 (winner was 231, shooting .22 caliber), not .30 caliber. I don't think he shot in 2021, but in 2019 he shot a .30 Impact and came in18th. So it appears Ted has shifted to .25 Heavy for his 100Y BR comps... There are also quite a few good shooters that have shifted from .30 to .25 Heavy over the past two years...

Reactions: Oregun and mercado
I have actually seen a move to .25 and .22 from .30 cal over the last year. It's not about the caliber but about the shooter behind it IMO. As for RMAC (the place where the most FX airguns are shot), wasn't the winner shooting .22 cal? A Crown? I did see a lot of .30 cals being used in the data Utah put out at the time, but I think the winner is evidence enough that the .30 is by no means a crusher of other cals.

-Atlas

Reactions: Centercut
I have to agree with @Ezana4CE in that I have different guns that I use at distances due to my inability to hold a gun and aim and breath like when I was 20! and @AtlasAirguns I think is correct - certainly in my case. I use my .25 as well as my .30 for 100 yards plus, but the .25 (Uragan) is easier to keep on point than my .30 (Prophet Performance). I still use a bipod but need to move to a tripod (small one to replace the bipod) and I think that will help with the "shakes"! I use a .22 for under 100 yards and more free hand shooting (as little as possible) and I haven't found small game that I couldn't deliver that first shot kill that is really my main goal. Now I will say that I will use the .30 for hog hunting and larger game, but the .25 has certainly worked for the larger animals in the past. I will say that I have not shot a chipmunk with a .30 yet!

Reactions: Centercut
Ted shot a .25 Impact at RMAC 2022 and came in 9th, with a 210 (winner was 231, shooting .22 caliber), not .30 caliber. I don't think he shot in 2021, but in 2019 he shot a .30 Impact and came in18th. So it appears Ted has shifted to .25 Heavy for his 100Y BR comps... There are also quite a few good shooters that have shifted from .30 to .25 Heavy over the past two years...
I know Ted won in the bench rest years ago with his .25 cal. And I've seen his .25 cal in action. It is no where near as accurate as his 30 cal. His .30 cal is his bench mark for all new and old gun he test cause he said it is just so accurate none will come close.

Reactions: pdxFrank
I know Ted won in the bench rest years ago with his .25 cal. And I've seen his .25 cal. in action. It is no where near as accurate as his 30 cal. His .30 cal is his bench mark for all new and old gun he test cause he said it is just so accurate none will come close.
I hear that, but then please explain why Ted competed at RMAC with a .25 Heavy? Maybe in a no wind condition his .30 is better, but in swirling winds like we have at RMAC or EBR the .25 out performs the .30?
Things that make you go hmmmm... :unsure:

Accuracy is only one factor of many that influence what is best for that particular shooter, especially at 100Y BR. Perhaps the superior wind resistance of .25 Heavy compared to .30 Exact (44.75 grain) are one of those factors, or the fact that the .25 Heavy can be shot accurately at a higher speed than the .30, or any other reason...

PS., don't get me wrong. I love the .30 and am shooting the .30 Delta Wolf with JSB 50.1 grain pellets at EBR Extreme Field Target this year, but am shooting a .25 Red Wolf HP with .25 Heavy at the 100Y BR event. Shot side by side in no wind, they are similar in accuracy. But in swirling winds, the .25 Heavy is measurably better than the .30 caliber.

Last edited:
Bigger projectiles tend to have a higher BC so they drift less in the wind. For benchrest shooting I think you score what you touch - so a bigger holes gives you a better chance to touch the next higher line. Those are the only advantages I see for a larger caliber for benchrest shooting. Obviously they must not be insurmountable or top competitors would not sometimes use a 22.

I cannot see 100 yards most of the time where I hunt. 50 yards would be a really long shot. My 25s reliably make one shot kills as long as I place that shot correctly - and sometimes when my placement is not quite right too. I will be using a 177 some this year. So far it has killed with one shot too but that is just a couple squirrels. Time will tell. I think bigger diameter and deeper holes kill quicker but I see no need to go above 25 caliber for small game. Out of 20 squirrels with that caliber I only used more than one pellet twice and they were unique situations.

The drawbacks of larger calibers are ammo cost and the need for more frequent refills of air. Usually noiser too.

I don't think calibers are accurate, I think guns are. My most accurate airgun is a P35 in 22. My P35 in 25 is significantly worse at the 30 yard challenge but it kills squirrels at my distances reliably. My 25 Avenger is closest to the P35 in 22 in accuracy but I do not enjoy shooting it as much because of it's length.

I would consult some trajectory software if you think you want to take small game at 100-200 yards. You need to know the distance very well to have a chance but judging the wind can be even tougher. It doesn't take much breeze to cause a miss of a squirrels head at 100 yards.

I think bc of 25 cal 34 gr jsb pellet is really close if not higher than the bc of the 50 gr 30 cal if I remember correctly

An even more extreme example, the .20/15.89 actually has an equivalent BC to the 50 grain .30.

I suspect that's not going to fit in well with the thought of the .30 dominating all! lol

.25 MK2 is .054
.30 44.75 is .042
.30 50 is .047
A couple more from the JSB data table that gets circulated occasionally....
Highest 5 BCs.....
  1. .25 Exact King Heavy-0.062
  2. .25 Exact King Heavy Mk2- 0.054
  3. .22 Exact Jumbo Monster RDs- 0.053
  4. .22 Exact Jumbo Beast-0.05
And then a three-way tie for 5th place
  • .22 Exact Jumbo Monster-0.047
  • .20 Exact Heavy -0.047
  • .30 Exact- 0.047

Reactions: Chuck-in-Ohio
A couple more from the JSB data table that gets circulated occasionally....
Highest 5 BCs.....
  1. .25 Exact King Heavy-0.062
  2. .25 Exact King Heavy Mk2- 0.054
  3. .22 Exact Jumbo Monster RDs- 0.053
  4. .22 Exact Jumbo Beast-0.05
And then a three-way tie for 5th place
  • .22 Exact Jumbo Monster-0.047
  • .20 Exact Heavy -0.047
  • .30 Exact- 0.047
And then you move to the .30cal Hybrid Slug with a BC of .101 and then the game changes again! I almost shoot this round exclusively.

Shinyknight,
I'm the same kind of PCP user as you describe yourself, so I'll share why I often grab the .30, rather than a .25 or .22, when facing a corvid pesting situation. I find the extra power of the caliber limits greatly the short-lived, adrenaline-fueled panic escapes I'd noticed in smaller caliber body mass shots. Having a crow live long enough to make it to a neighbor's tree, then fall dead in a fenced yard, is not an option. The "shock and awe" of the .30 seems to bring the matter to a desired quicker, cleaner end. Will the .30 ever replace my .25s? Not likely, but I'm currently waiting on a U2 700mm .30 from Krales so you could say I'm impressed with it. WM