3 Magpies down

Pretty exciting morning.
Put out some fresh popcorn and not 25 minutes later got the first one in.
Experience has always told me to hold off on breaking blind, as a dead Corvid will bring a funeral, and oh boy was that the case this morning!!!
Had a good 10 or more cackling away at the initial fallen comrade, then two more were dispatched before the rest figured out the game.
20221004_085210.jpg

*Diana 280 .177cal 12ftlbs
**Have heard Magpies are not fair game in most of the States, but here in Alberta Canada they're gtg for yearly dispatch as they're on the list.

Yeah I envy your folks that can take out magpies. Well done and great job with the springer.
It depends on how you interpret the law I guess and the exact state.

This is what MT has in the code:
87-5-201. Protection of wild birds and their nests and eggs. (1) It is unlawful for a person to hunt, capture, kill, possess, purchase, offer or expose for sale, ship, or transport any wild bird, other than a game bird, or any part of the plumage, skin, or body of the bird, irrespective of whether the bird was captured or killed within the state, or to take or destroy the nest or eggs of a wild bird, except under a certificate, falconer's license, or permit issued by the director.

(2) This section does not apply to:

(a) the hunting, trapping, or killing of house sparrows, crows, starlings, rock doves, blackbirds, magpies, and other birds the department designates or to the taking or destruction of their nests and eggs;

(b) the possession or transportation of parts or plumage of eagles used for religious purposes by a member of an Indian tribe when possessed or transported as permitted by 16 U.S.C. 668a.

This is what the feds say in the migratory bird treaty:

A federal permit is not required to control magpies when they are found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance.

That seems like a pretty open and grey statement in the federal law. Do the feds have to declare a certain zone as being to high of a population or do they leave it up to the locals? Sounds like its up to us to decide if the bird is committing depredations and for us to take action when these stipulations are present since you dont need a permit in these situations to stop the depredation or control their numbers. How would they be able to say you are lying if theres no witness to the event besides you? I have always wondered if anyone has ever been fined over shooting a magpie.

• Love
Reactions: Ramjet