• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

3 estate sale springers. Which should I buy? Weihrauch HW98, Feinwerkbau Sport 124, or...

This is my first post here. I grew up in the 1970s shooting a Crossman 760 Powermaster pumper and absolutely wore that thing out. Decades later I'm shooting a cheap a** Umarex Fusion II CO2 rifle for pest control. And when I ran across these 3 beauties at an estate sale a few blocks from home this afternoon, I got the fever for a springer. The sale was closing up and ushering us out, so I snapped a few rushed photos. They're open again tomorrow morning and I think I'd like to pick up one or two of these. All are in the $200 - $225 range.

The top one looks like a Weihrauch HW98. Is that a 'Deluxe'?

Middle one looks like a Weihrauch HW50.

Bottom one looks like a Feinwerkbau Sport 124, early 1980s vintage.

Any advisories, observations, suggestions, declarations, and humiliations would be appreciated.

IMG_7900.JPG
IMG_7901.JPG
IMG_7902.JPG
IMG_7892.JPG
IMG_7893.JPG
IMG_7894.JPG
IMG_7897.JPG
IMG_7899.JPG

Seriously, buy all 3, try them, and sell the ones you don't want here for a small, or even no profit. You can't go wrong with any of them. The 98 is the most powerful and holds beatifully. The 50 is just a superb lazy afternoon plinker. The 124's only take 18lbs to cock and have a very smooth shot cycle. You should try them all and keep the one that fits you.

DualMagMike makes a good point about the seals. That 124's serial number puts it at late 1981 -early 1982 build. The screws look like they have never been touched. It is very unlikely that the piston seal is still good and if I bought that gun I wouldn't fire it without taking it apart first and checking it. The other guns may be in the same boat too. Not a deal breaker at all though, all of these guns need work eventually, and these guns look very lightly used to begin with. And to answer your original question more precisely, If it were me, and I could only get one of these, I would absolutely get the 98.

Last edited:
Can these be dry fired without damaging them, esp. the FWB? And would I be able to tell if one needed seals that way?
No dont dry fire. They can claim you just damaged it and gig you for full asking price.. Look thing is know the value of the guns used in good working order then assume they need a tune . Figure 80$ for parts each . Spring seals moly breech seals. Base stuff. Give yourself a top dollar limit . Maybe start say 100$ a gun ( 300 total deal) and see if they bite cash in hand .

Then dicker from there. Maybe someone here can give you a baseline max price as is and try it.

if you cant get all 3 then do one , but it's knowing what it's worth + any repairs cause it's a "as is" deal. Let them know about the risk of having to do the tune jobs to help bargain in your favor .

Reactions: beerthief