• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

26 foot lbs

I think so by far ....shot placement is as always the key and keep in mind that many a hare have been humanly harvested with 12 foot lbs guns on the other side of the pond ...accuracy is way more important then power to me anyways, having said that I like having the extra power in the event I mess up my range a little or life just happened and the target moves unexpectedly at the wrong time ....more things in your favor the better I think!
Jonathan

I grew up in the UK and had several springer air rifles.

The UK has a 12 ft/lbs limit rule as I'm sure you know but I'll bet that all my teenage rifles were probably less than 10 ft/lbs (I had no chrono back then to find out).

In any case we all shot rabbits, squirrels, pidgeons etc etc etc..... no problem at all!

Power is very a overrated thing here in the USA (I now live here) - you really don't need 30 ft/lbs or anything like it to take small game animals and birds.

High power just sucks your tank empty faster and reduces your shot count (and makes for bigger safety issues like where the pellet goes after it has gone through the pigeon).

Robert

I would concur; hunted successfully for years with a Bowkett Titan .177 pistol developing 12 ft-lbs. Bagged a lot of gray squirrels and rabbits out to 50 yards or so. There are numerous videos on YouTube of Keith Warren and others using Gamo springers on small pigs and getting complete penetration on head shots, so you have more than enough power. Accuracy is your limiting factor, so I would recommend that whatever distance you can consistently hit a 1" circle using field shooting positions is your limitation.

For my backyard squirrels - I keep on gradually decreasing the power (using the combination of power adjuster on FX Indy and lighter pellets). Started with .22 JSB 18.13s generating 32 FPE, then switched to JSB 15.9s and medium power (17 FPE), now 'graduated' to JSB 13.4s at lowest power setting. Its only around 10.5 FPE at the muzzle. Same effectiveness, as long as shot placement is good. In fact, I feel it is still somewhat of an over-kill for head shots on EGSs at 20 yards. Now ordered some lead free 12.xx gr and 9.xx gr H&Ns, which will put me under 10FPE at the muzzle, but if accurate at 25 yards - will be more than enough for a clean job, I'm sure. 

Never hunted a rabbit, but as others have said and demonstrated - they are easily taken with sub 12 FPE rifles out to 50 yards.

Have fun!

"air_bastard"I grew up in the UK and had several springer air rifles.

The UK has a 12 ft/lbs limit rule as I'm sure you know but I'll bet that all my teenage rifles were probably less than 10 ft/lbs (I had no chrono back then to find out).

In any case we all shot rabbits, squirrels, pidgeons etc etc etc..... no problem at all!

Power is very a overrated thing here in the USA (I now live here) - you really don't need 30 ft/lbs or anything like it to take small game animals and birds.

High power just sucks your tank empty faster and reduces your shot count (and makes for bigger safety issues like where the pellet goes after it has gone through the pigeon).

Robert

Yes 12 ft/lb is plenty if your shot is perfect. I ran an RWS 34 (14.3 gr. 665 fps) in 22 for years and killed an estimated 600+ fox squirrels. Those guys are tough and can shrug off a poorly placed shot only to wander off and die a slow death to infection. For this reason I passed on many shots that I no longer have to. Also raccoons are a common pest and 12 ft lb is just not enough. I run a 25 Marauder near 40 ft lbs and love it. I have some wiggle room with shot placement and can smack coons as well. In air guns I respectfully disagree and feel the extra power is nice to have. Im not a power junkie. I deer hunt with a 7.62x39mm Ruger Mini 30 and its all I need. No belted magnums for me.
DAN

Good point, Dan.

I need to clarify: I use bare minimum power only in my backyard, where all ranges are known and shooting conditions are nearly perfect (nice rest, wind protection, etc). I would not do this if I were out there hunting and the chances of making mistakes were higher. I'd switch to higher power output and heavier pellets, for sure.

This said, the main reason I'd do this would NOT be about increase in the raw "killing power". As you said, the "power pill" is no cure for a badly placed shot. The primary reason I'd go for faster and heavier pellet for small game in the wild would be to get a flatter trajectory less affected by wind, which means more accuracy, and that's more important than FPS of a pellet as it travels through squirrel's brain :)

Greg, the power pill is a cure for a less than perfect shot, there are a lot of videos on you tube to prove it. I believe TED has also mentioned one of the factors he has stepped up from .22 to .25 was because more FPE is more forgiving. Now with that said i still shoot .22 and practice, practice, practice. I believe in shot placement as i'm sure we all do, and not shooting outside our comfort zone. But weather, bad ranging, slight trigger pull, rush shot, etc can all be compensated SOME with FPE.

"hellzbellz"I recently got a gamo big cat
950 fps with 14.3 grain CPHP

Is it more then enough juice for rabbits
Here in canada

Just curious, did you chrono your gun and you are getting 950fps with CPHP ? Gamo's advertising says 950fps with lead free pellets and 750fps with lead.

If you are actually getting around 950fps with CPHP pellets, that would be awesome, especially from a $~150.00 retail gun ;- )

You have peaked my interest !

wll

"Ginuwine1969"Greg, the power pill is a cure for a less than perfect shot, there are a lot of videos on you tube to prove it. I believe TED has also mentioned one of the factors he has stepped up from .22 to .25 was because more FPE is more forgiving. Now with that said i still shoot .22 and practice, practice, practice. I believe in shot placement as i'm sure we all do, and not shooting outside our comfort zone. But weather, bad ranging, slight trigger pull, rush shot, etc can all be compensated SOME with FPE.
Agreed!