• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.25cal vs .30cal video

I have seen this video when it was originally published, and I appreciate his efforts, but he is wrong on many levels.

Any penetration depth past the vitals is simply wasted energy. Unless you have some special voodoo to make your prey line up single file, what does it matter! But if the projectile penetrates the vitals but does not exit the game, physics states the remaining energy from the projectile is transferred to the game. If a. 30cal projectile leaves the barrel at 100 fpe, and his the prey at 85 fpe, and it uses 45 fpe to penetrate the hide, bones and heart, 40 fpe is transferred to the game.

So what does this extra energy do? Take a look at this bodyshot on this ground hog shot at 20 yards with a 110gr NSA slug shot from the Benjamin Bulldog .357cal pushing around 170 fpe. The energy was worthless!

This next shot frfrom FX Maverick VP .30cal pushing FX Hybrid Slugs at 85 fpe at this groundhog around 50 yards away in about the same shot, just on the other side of the game, and it was pretty much dead on impact, with no slug pass through. Groundhog absorbed the remaining energy, and it was enough to anchor him!

Take a look at this video I made where we can clearly see how ammo design affects terminal performance. Shot into 16" of Ballistic Gel using .357cal ammo.

I don't disagree about the energy transfer, but the examples given just show how important shot placement is more than anything else for small diameter sub-sonic projectiles. The 1st video with the .357 hit a little high. The 2nd video didn't. But neither shot is going to be DRT 100% of the time. The only time that happens is if you hit the brain, brain step or spinal column near the brain. Even with brain shots I've seen coons do the death dance, moving over a minute and a few feet from where the shot occured.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Older videos, but interesting none the less.

A very unbiased and good explanation of the difference between 25 and 30 cal. Not to defend the 30 cal. but I use only 25 cal. because of the right balance between energy and accuracy at a given range, but since the test was done at 10 yards, and I think of how the 30 Cal performed I can't help by human nature that due to the weight of the ammo that the 30 Cal at a further distance would then generate the necessary velocity to meet or exceed "the speed and energy" of the 25 to improve or increase penetration. (hee-haw) lol I am curious if you do another part 3 video on this same subject lets not do the ten yards pork sirloin test(hope it didn't go to waste! (ha-ha.) Instead as a suggestion, a section of wild hog or deer with hyde on (maybe a head with skull intact for fairer comparison that would better reflect real world results. I don't disagree with your assessment in your part two video. But to even the playing field a little more. maybe shoot at 25 - 45yds and see if there is even a difference. What do ya think?

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
A very unbiased and good explanation of the difference between 25 and 30 cal. Not to defend the 30 cal. but I use only 25 cal. because of the right balance between energy and accuracy at a given range, but since the test was done at 10 yards, and I think of how the 30 Cal performed I can't help by human nature that due to the weight of the ammo that the 30 Cal at a further distance would then generate the necessary velocity to meet or exceed "the speed and energy" of the 25 to improve or increase penetration. (hee-haw) lol I am curious if you do another part 3 video on this same subject lets not do the ten yards pork sirloin test(hope it didn't go to waste! (ha-ha.) Instead as a suggestion, a section of wild hog or deer with hyde on (maybe a head with skull intact for fairer comparison that would better reflect real world results. I don't disagree with your assessment in your part two video. But to even the playing field a little more. maybe shoot at 25 - 45yds and see if there is even a difference. What do ya think?
These aren't my videos. You could contact Donnie at Baker Airguns to see if he's going to be doing any more.

That comparison is total bollocks.

High strung .25 compared to anemic .30

the only way a comparison of the kind is worth watching is if you shoot the .25 at the same fps as the .30

Told him when he fist came out with it but he completely ignored and hide away without awknowleging the huge shortcomings of this useless test.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I don't disagree about the energy transfer, but the examples given just show how important shot placement is more than anything else for small diameter sub-sonic projectiles. The 1st video with the .357 hit a little high. The 2nd video didn't. But neither shot is going to be DRT 100% of the time. The only time that happens is if you hit the brain, brain step or spinal column near the brain. Even with brain shots I've seen coons do the death dance, moving over a minute and a few feet from where the shot occured.

That comparison is total bollocks.

High strung .25 compared to anemic .30

the only way a comparison of the kind is worth watching is if you shoot the .25 at the same fps as the .30

Told him when he fist came out with it but he completely ignored and hide away without awknowleging the huge shortcomings of this useless test.
I also said the comparison was trash, and we agreed to disagree. 🙂