25cal Louisiana outlaw

Martin

Jan 23, 2019
La.
I’ve been living in the great state of Louisiana for 63 of my 63 years of living, you would think by now I wouldn’t underestimate this states unmatched ability of stupid. I guess in retrospect that made what I did just just that “stupid”. I giving no thought to “stupid” bought a dream of a FX MKll 25cal, topped it off with the scope of my dreams “Nightforce SHV” spent hours tweaking and practicing with said gun. Here comes the good part! Went to the bayou the other day and saw a wildlife and fisheries agent whom of which after discussing local hunting laws informed me that it was illegal to hunt small game in this great state with anything larger than a 22cal. anything. ?!#~£^>!!! WHAT? I guess my 25cal FX was overkill. Please someone enlighten me as what they are thinking and what channels to take on addressing this “bad law”. Oh! And yup...gonna fork out $400.00 for the 22cal barrel. Screw’um!

I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I live in Louisiana also and just ordered a .25 Wildcat. 

I was aware of this law, but I assumed it applied to firearms since it states breech load rifles. Breech loading rifles are defined as firearms and airguns are not defined as firearms in Louisiana. 

The Regulation under prohibited activities states: Hunting or take of squirrel or rabbit with a breech-loaded rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber, any centerfire rifle, or a muzzleloading firearm larger than .36 caliber

Definition- A breechloader[1][2] describes a firearm in which the cartridge or shell is inserted or loaded into a chamber integral to the rear portion of a barrel.

Sounds like a gray area. I guess it comes down to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries interpretation of the regulation. 

Let us know what opinion LDWF has to say about it. 

I’ve texted my state rep. “Mike Johnson” twice... no response yet, called Wildlife&fisheries home office in Baton Rouge twice, they patched me in to the regional office “in Minden” that had Initially informed me of their version of the reg. They were busy so I left them my number... never called back. I guess they aren’t concerned with one mans issue. What I or should I say we need is more people pushing buttons and making phone calls. But that’s one mans opinion. ✌️

Hey saftyman, 

I texted Tommy Tuma at [email protected] and this is his response....

Thank you for your email. I will forward it to the LWFC and our executive staff for their review. 

I have been reviewing Air rifle rules and restrictions nationwide. I believe part of the reason that some states have been reluctant is due to being unfamiliar with air guns. I know as I have researched them that they are almost like electronics, they are changing and becoming more efficient every day. The other reason is we have been trying to work with the manufacturers to participate in the Wildlife Restoration program, which is an excise tax on the manufacturers pay that is apportioned to the states for wildlife management purposes.

Let me talk with my administration about their desires on this subject.

Check out his website and text him if you would. He’s a pretty good fella and I believe will address his administration with an educated desire to change the air gun laws in our state.

I read the regulations for squirrel hunting in NJ. It states that for air guns the season does not start until Nov 9th.( if I read it right ) Calibers .177 and .22 only. Nothing after that. No specific type of air gun. No end date to the season for air guns, as it is specifically specified for firearms. Ohio has nothing on their DNR sight. No min/max calibers,or type or ammo. Just states (air rifle ) under allowable hunting equipment used.