• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.257 or .308 for predator hunting

Good mornimg all ! So I was hoping to get some opinions. I am wanting to get myself a new predator hunting air rifle and am undecided on which caliber. I have done quite a bit of research and I can't make up my mind. I have.a Recluse 357 and an airforce escape ul with a condor hi flow bottle. I am thinking an airforce Texan in either .257 or .308. What are your thoughts and or options on the two calibers and any cast ammo choices you have had success with. It will be primarily used for predator hunting both day and night and in open field and in the woods. One other things. Am I better off to by another rifle or convert my escape. I have tried sourcing barrels fir the escape but I haven't been able to find any in stock. Thank you for your opinions. 

Given the choice of .257 or .308 I would go with the .308 as it has more projectile choices available and is versitile in use for different sized game. Here, caliber is dependant on the law. At night is different from the day for coyote. For daytime hunting I will use the .357 with NSA 142 HP-BT because they fly good at long range and retain good energy to pass through with their weight and shape. For night, I have a .25 Impact setup for fairly close, careful shot placement. I would rather have a .257 for the higher slug weight and BC for night use, but have not put one together yet. 

257 hands down. 308texan is notorious and worst of texan calibers it just isnt accurate. Powerwise they use same valve etc 308/257 only difference is barrel and powerwise they make almost same with exception 257 shooting much more flat and will also carry energy much better on long distances. Nsa have good working hp bullets for texan. Cant go wrong with 85gr bt hp. 

Bullfrog seemed to figure out the accuracy with his AF .308 and it looks accurate with pellets or 99 grain NSA slugs. I don’t think you can shoot larger .308 slugs accurately. 

That being said, the .257 with 85 grain slugs hits like a hammer and shoots flat. Plenty of power with either for predators. I cast my own slugs for it from 65 to 85 grains. Lots of good .257 molds out there or you can go with NSA. Nick’s stuff is always great in what it’s designed for.

As far as I know there is no texan carbine..in .257 only the long rifle.. for hunting with a light platform I would better go wit a conversion in your scape, with 27" of .257 barrel and a Doug valve you will be doing great speed up to 960 fps with 85g .. there is a few more parts involved so is a compromise, because the buid will take you to a texan price but without the weight..I have the carbine in 308 n later purchase the 34" barrel but even as a carbine there is a noticeable weight difference between the texan and my talon ss buid .. the build with a light 4x14 scope is more fun to carry around, than the texan..a .257 hollow point will be devastating in any predator..

I have the Texan 257 and it is simply the most accurate Texan or any air rifle I own. Powerful, flat shooting with the right slug, and gets it done every time. 
I have the 257, 357, and 457. All of them great but if I want to smash gophers at 300 yards, it is the Texan 257!
IMG-0772.1610638129.jpg

This is all great info guys I do really appreciate it. I guess I really had no idea of the cost of doing a conversion. I'll have to continue to weigh my options. Seems as if it is going to cost almost $1000 or so to do a conversion I might as well buy the Texan. Is the long barrel Texan awkward to carry during hunting situations? I will be mounting an ATN 4k pro on it. I just mounted it on my Recluse single tube(it is heavy). I'll be sighting that in tomorrow hopefully.