.25 ZAN 44 gr HP BT slugs

Got some Zan HP boattail slugs in .25 caliber 44 grain. Have to shoot with SST in my Impact. Also got the .25 cal 46 grain Round Nose boattail but they are too long even for SST.

I usually shoot the NSA 43.5 grain at about 890 FPS and the 44 gr Zan HP BT shoot at the same speed. I get about 0.105 BC with the NSAs. With these new Zan boattails I’m getting between 0.135 and 0.140. Impressive.

Accuracy seems to be very close between the two, but as of now I’ll give the nod to the NSAs. Below is a typical 100 yard group with the new Zans in light winds left to right.

D6C7E431-D127-4722-ABBC-ED6562F919FD.1636316364.jpeg

Next two are cherry picked five shot groups at 100 yards. Same wind. Bottom group is 1/2 MOA.
50CD29B8-660F-4636-ABAB-89587EBE2118.1636316527.jpeg
4449821E-987B-4260-B01A-71FC88AAC025.1636316529.jpeg

213DA930-26D4-46A0-85AF-9665A1C4B2C1.1636317769.jpeg

Thanks. Yeah, the bottom one is the best of the day. The 9 ring s 1.2 inches so you can see that group is about 1/2 MOA. The top 5 shot group is about 1 MOA. But those were the two best. The normal group with the NSA 43.5 is about like the top 8 shot group. The Zans are very good just don’t seem quite as consistent in my gun 

Any idea how they do at 50 on a BR target? Hoping folks find their setups and see some slug shooters in N50 sportsman class, at least, this season.

Mike

Not sure, all I did was shoot about 5 to confirm my zero at 50 before I moved back to 100. I think the .25 NSA 43.5 would probably be better since at least in my gun they are slightly more accurate. If they have an N50 at Open Grove in December I’ll try and make it and shoot the slugs in one of the matches. Hopefully Gabe will come also. 

Yes, very good. I was looking at the boattail slugs since they have a MUCH greater BC than the current slugs (like the 37 grain ZAN or 36 grain NSA). Obviously if just as accurate as your current slugs, these would drift MUCH less in the wind and provide greater accuracy and precision, plus make it easier to get hits in windy conditions. Just compare your current slugs with about a 0.100 BC to slugs with a 0.140 BC in Strelok Pro at the same speed with a 10 mph cross wind and you can see the obvious superiority of the significantly higher BC...

...I was looking at the boattail slugs.........

I was delaying my order for several days and just noticed tonight for a first time some new 46 grain "round nose" slugs very similar to Altaros CNC cut slugs. These must have been added to the shelf recently? I ordered couple boxes of 44 and 46 grain to try cutting winds in my Canadian - almost winter weather.

From my OP

Got some Zan HP boattail slugs in .25 caliber 44 grain. Have to shoot with SST in my Impact. Also got the .25 cal 46 grain Round Nose boattail but they are too long even for SST.

@bighun So not sure which gun you intend to use with those 46 grain Round Nose BT, but it isn’t going to be an Impact. 

I measured my original FX SST (I got it with my Impact MK2PP early 2020) and the length can fit 12.5 mm, the 46 gr ZAN is 12.2 mm. The 44 gr boat tail shall fit the eaglevision mag.

I could be wrong, will see when arrived, the heaviest slugs I have right now are 41 gr and those fit the EV loose.

Edit:

I just re-think the single shot tray, yes you are right, the housing total width can fit the 46 gr but not a slider ....I will figure that out when the time comes. I cannot single load directly into port because I shall wear glasses to see what I have in my fingers, and that I want to avoid as much possible.

I see several options (without having the slugs in my hands yet).

1. Manually - single load directly into the brass port with some like these tweezers...

2. Cut a ball nose groove into the brass port R side (from shooters view) only maybe 0.5 mm deep and same depth ball groove into SST.

3. Make a new SST.

I need to figure something how to cut the elements, my only hope with heavies possible projectiles. I cannot always just wait for ideal conditions at my range, windy at my place year around some days more and some lill less, and the worst part not windy enough to go kite or windsurfing but more that enough to mess with the mind.