25 vs 30 Panthera

Looking to buy a 700 Panthera for bench shooting 50 to 200 yards. No competition. Need your thoughts please on a 25 or 30 caliber. Slugs only. I have owned several quality pellet shooters in both calibers and always seem to default to 30 caliber. No particular reason. I understand the 25 may have an edge on BC. My local dealer has a 25 in stock but making sure I do this right the first time
Any help appreciated

Reactions: ChuckHunter
Get the 25 and shoot the 66 gr Altaros slugs in it. Way better BC than anything else out there. You want to shoot them around 890fps and they will just stack one on top of the other at 100 yards. This is how I have my 700mm 25 set up. Only thing is you will need to order the mags from Orion to shoot these long slugs. I have both the 30 and 25 in 700mm. If only for target shooting def. get the 25. Even if you don't want to use the Altaros there are lots of great slugs that will work well in this gun.

I just got the 30 with the 500mm barrel. Was hoping it would shoot both pellets and hybrids since the 500 comes with that standard superior liner. So far pellets have been ridiculously good, but hybrids shooting TERRIBLE. If I were to do over, I would probably get the 600mm and get an extra liner so that i could shoot pellets with it as well.
I chose .30 over .25 because my home state requires a minimum of .30 cal airguns to hunt "big game", which includes my intended target of turkey.
.30 ammo ain't cheap and the tins go FAST when the guns shoots so darn good. Rather impressive accuracy and consistency with .30 cal Hades running 902fps. Reg at 135bar and getting 1 1/2 mags with 250bar fill, 2 mags with 300 bar fill.

panthera labradar hades.jpg
panthera grouping.jpg

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never does .
Well guess who canceled the 30 cal order and picked up a 25 /700 locally. Even got to the range yesterday afternoon to get a few shots in. Only had 1 box of 25 grain FX Hybrids but they showed promise. Was amazed at the power with a few clicks of the power wheel. And pellets don't care for high velocities. Have a nice selection of slugs arriving today from PA and Amazon and 2 different weights from Neilsons next week. Will post more results later. So far I believe the 25 was the best choice.
Appreciate you guys.

I too was in the fence between .25 or .30 and decided to go with the .25 but in 600mm. Shoots pellets great at 900fps at only 100bar and griffin bt slugs and avs slugs great at 135bar.
The versatility and power at lower settings is ideal. I like the feel and weight distribution which makes holding and maneuverability simplistic.

Reading with interest! I'm curious about the larger calibers.

I have a Royale 500 (.25) that I bought for longer range and larger (raccoon, porcupine) sized pests. It's a great airgun, really like it but don't use it much because of the cost of the ammo and that my .22 Impact MK2 is tuned to about the same energy with Monster Redesigns.

I opted for a .22/700 Panthera for bench shooting at "extended" range (read: 75 to 125 yards) and I'll work within the capabilities of that caliber. My reasoning is that I'm not into competitions; I already stock a variety of .22 pallets and slugs and don't need .25/.30 level power or range. For my environment the .25/.30 level of power and range is actually a disadvantage.

Very happy with my purchase. It's shooting well and I'm getting 2 mags of 30 gr H&N at 130 bar on a 250 bar fill.

I'll still read all I can find on the .25/.30 calibers though :)

Cheers!

I installed the Huma double bottle adapter and added a 700cc bottle to the front of my 500mm 30 today. Really like the Huma kit. It isn't just a bottle adapter. It adds a block/cover that is really robust. The block also has a substantially deeper recession for the valve pin over the factory block.
I have been determined to get hybrids to shoot well and after re-installing the 8mm hammer weight, turning up the reg to 170 I have got it shooting them very good now. Lab radar data showed out of 20 shots, my avg speed is 974 fps. Extreme spread was 8.34 and the standard deviation was only 2.27. Grouping very well at 50, but I'll really put it to the test over the weekend. 94lbs of energy at the muzzle, still carrying 75lbs of energy at 50 yards! Should be devastating on a turkey's head this spring.
I'm going to say it. The Panthera is MUCH easier to tune than my Impacts in my experience so far. It just settles in much faster it seems. Super consistent, shot to shot.
It is much noticeably a heavier rifle with the dual bottles but the shot count, as expected, is drastically better. Confident that if I top it all the way to 300 bar, I could get 3 mags = 39 shots. Please excuse my disaster of a workbench below.

panthera db1.jpg
panthera hammer hybrids.jpg

panthera tune hybrids.jpg
huma db kit.jpg

Reactions: Cloudrider
Lordy! My sub-12 (710fps with a 10.34gr 0.177” pellet) FX Crown with a 480cc bottle will do a tin of 500 pellets before needing a top up! That is 230 bar down to 60 (reg pressure) as the Crown is a little erratic on fps between 250 and 230 bar.

It’s not much good for turkey shooting though… 😀
You're not comparing apples to oranges, I think you are comparing a chipmunk to a silverback gorilla. Lol. Not a thing wrong with sub-12! I do marvel at the crazy shot counts and accuracy. And I will say, this 30 Panthera EATS air. Air efficiency is most definitely not the Panthera's forté. However, power, accuracy and shot consistency is. Getting this kind of power with standard deviations of 2 or less fps.

And, my friend, before we get pounced on by the FX haters, we hereby state that there are lots of other rifles that shoot just as good or better. But the name of this thread is 25 vs 30 Panthera. ;)

Reactions: Nords
Get the 25 and shoot the 66 gr Altaros slugs in it. Way better BC than anything else out there. You want to shoot them around 890fps and they will just stack one on top of the other at 100 yards. This is how I have my 700mm 25 set up. Only thing is you will need to order the mags from Orion to shoot these long slugs. I have both the 30 and 25 in 700mm. If only for target shooting def. get the 25. Even if you don't want to use the Altaros there are lots of great slugs that will work well in this gun.
What is your regular pressure set at?