.25 springer

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
Here goes. I’m not near as experienced as most of you. This is actually my 3rd anniversary of air gunning and been enjoying it more and more. I’m almost finished my 4 yr. project on yard, then I can give Airgunning more time. 
Help me out. I always hear how incompetent the .25 cal. springer is. I disagree. I have a HW77, 80K, 90 and 97KT all in .25. The 90 is a little too hairy for me right now but I shoot all the rest. 
I have a dislike for nutters. 
7EE22568-06C2-43B0-BC6E-2AB008D913AA.1654204489.jpeg
 This is the 77 and a gem. 5 shots 25
C911B28A-CE72-4049-9CF5-4F049693FC7D.1654204820.jpeg

The 97KT is a dream. I’ve taken a lot of nutters with this beast. 
07F9DD2A-FD9A-4A33-B55B-E98447A810DC.1654205034.jpeg
 And dirty accurate. All targets are 5 shots. 
AF3594CB-BEED-4868-BB6D-01FF37C6596E.1654205105.jpeg
 and all within a hour. 30 yds. for 97. 
And last the HW80K. This one hits a little harder. 
1DA9D108-D30F-4DFE-9E77-39401A9C49FC.1654205302.jpeg

Again 5 shots 35 yds. 
CB7CE8BB-0923-4A45-8ED5-093EFEFAC0C8.1654205376.jpeg
 I have only cleaned these guns. Never taken apart, but not for long. Have 10 Vortek Spring sets for starters, can’t wait to install. 
When I hit a nutter with any of these rifles it’s game over. I’m not interested in 100 yd. shots 20-45 yds. suits me fine. 
I could of cleaned up some better shots, this works for me. Had a 95 and 98 on order in .25 cal. but not available in Canada presently. Fisher got me all wound up when he talked about his 98. 

What’s wrong with the .25 springer? Crow 

.25 springers rule! I have an HW90 (gas ram) in .25 and has become a real favorite since I had it tamed down a bit. It was very hard to cock and didn't group well and was just to violent until the good folks at AOA took some gas from it, and now it's better than any of my HW springers (if that's possible). It's hell on gophers!!

Reactions: Bolillo
.25 springers rule! I have an HW90 (gas ram) in .25 and has become a real favorite since I had it tamed down a bit. It was very hard to cock and didn't group well and was just to violent until the good folks at AOA took some gas from it, and now it's better than any of my HW springers (if that's possible). It's hell on gophers!!

cantankerous another 5 min. I’m gonna ask you to stop talking. My 90 is like a bronking stallion. I have the kit to change the pressure and scooped a .20 HW90 at same time (thanks to Jayjay). Never shot the .20. 
You sound encouraging, can’t wait. Sounds like the tree rats have more to worry about when my 90’s surface.. Enjoy the 90 Crow 

Reactions: SANTO and Bolillo
I hunted exclusively with a CHINESE .25 cal magnum springer for a few years. At least 2 or maybe 3 years, it was the only thing I regularly even shot. XS28M tuned by Mike at flying dragon. It was a beast and easily the most accurate breakbarrel above 20 foot pounds energy I have ever even shot. And it made 26 fpe with JSB Kings.

Your really encouraging me. I've always wanted to try an HW80 in .25 cal.

Moog I know the feeling. 1 spin around the dial. You got notting to lose. Good luck. Crow 

SteveV gorgeous looking gun. Crow 

I hunted exclusively with a CHINESE .25 cal magnum springer for a few years. At least 2 or maybe 3 years, it was the only thing I regularly even shot. XS28M tuned by Mike at flying dragon. It was a beast and easily the most accurate breakbarrel above 20 foot pounds energy I have ever even shot. And it made 26 fpe with JSB Kings.

My buddy had a Chinese .25 springer maybe xisco 550. Man what a kick. Unfortunately it didn’t stand up. Crow 

My .25 Tomahawk. It wears a different scope now. Dovetails could extend back a little further on the Tommy and Longbows IMO. 725 fps with FTT's. Not sure yet with the JSB Kings.

20210815_200447.1654219556.jpg

KWK never seen one before. Wood is spectacular. Very nice looking break barrel. Crow 

My only .25's are Hatsans. A Model 95 .25 was my first rifle getting back into airguns and needing a quieter way inside village limits to remove an unwanted raccoon wandering during the day. No regrets since 2 weeks later, that 95 with an H&N Crow Magnum at a little over 20 yards and a head shot took care of things. 

The 95, along with an 87QE, 2 Edge's (one a springer, one a gas piston) and an AirTact have done just exactly what I bought them for: 30 yards or less hammers with JSB Kings or those H&N Crow Magnum pellets. I have other guns that will shoot farther, but for short range in the brush and down in the creek behind the house, they easily get things done.

Maybe someday an HW80 or HW90 in .25 but for now, the Hatty's do just fine.

My HW98 .25 out of the box (~15FPE) would cloverleaf jsb kings at 40 yards. I hated the twang and threw in a Vortek PG3, now it’s collecting dust because the groups look like an extra large peperoni pizza. I bent and deformed the factory piston sleeve when I yanked it out with a needle nose to install the vortek, so I can’t return her to stock condition until I order parts from Europe. I noticed the PG3 was on the market for only like 2 weeks then they had a close-out sale 75% off before ushering in the PG4. This is probably because the PG3 was garbage and they had to dump their stock on unsuspecting consumers instead of pulling defective products off the market and taking a loss. If it seems too good to be true, then buyer beware.

What scopes are you using on those .25’s? I’m sure that whatever stands up for you will last on my D48!

When I was shooting that gun, back then all I could really afford were leapers/utg 1” tube scopes. I may have used a Centerpoint at one time or another as well. But mostly I just used the factory open sights.

The open sights they put on an XS28M are actually a fairly nice set of sights with a fine front post. Don’t let anyone tell you that you need fiber sights, I used a cheap energizer head lamp and that lit up critters well enough to see the sights just fine. Better imo than fiber optics because they yield a fine aim point for accuracy.

My HW98 .25 out of the box (~15FPE) would cloverleaf jsb kings at 40 yards. I hated the twang and threw in a Vortek PG3, now it’s collecting dust because the groups look like an extra large peperoni pizza. I bent and deformed the factory piston sleeve when I yanked it out with a needle nose to install the vortek, so I can’t return her to stock condition until I order parts from Europe. I noticed the PG3 was on the market for only like 2 weeks then they had a close-out sale 75% off before ushering in the PG4. This is probably because the PG3 was garbage and they had to dump their stock on unsuspecting consumers instead of pulling defective products off the market and taking a loss. If it seems too good to be true, then buyer beware.
I would love a 98 .25. Had one on order N/A in Canada. Crow
Love my .25's

Kodiak

Edge

105X

Xisico XS28M
Septicdeath how do you like the 85? Crow
Yep. 25’s rool! I got a cuple uv em. Won runs about 18 fpe n’ tuther runs about 25 fpe. They is both wikkid ackurit n’ bad juju fer little critters!
Pneumaddict thought you were talking a foreign language, then caught on. Ya I love whacking the nutters with the .25’s. Crow

Took the .25 Tomahawk to our family farm Sunday. As shown in a previous post. Except it wears a Hawke 3-9x 40 Airmax now. Spent the evening with one of my brothers wacking soda cans off hand at 25 and 35 yards with JSB Kings. Aim for the ends of the cans where they're more rigid. The .25 picks the can up and throws it. Tomahawks are nice, they don't twang and vibrate. The Webley Springtamer guide works.