• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.25 slugs which barrel to chooce?

.25 slugs which barrel to chooce with different airguns? I have tried many differend slugs on my edgun .25 cal with huma with different speeds and normal 600mm barrel and i think i try fx hybrids before order new unchoked barrel! Why new fx superior slug barrels have twist 1/23 isnt that very slow rise on the twist if you watch other manufactures? Other companys tighten the twist when shooting "bullets/slugs" ismore like 16 and under? in "normal" airguns have 16-17.7 twist about? Yes i know more lenght to the bullet or slugs needs more tight twist is that maybe why fx uses that twist because airgun slugs are mostly very short? Do anyone know what they have chance the manufacture proses new superior slug liner to the previous one?

Does hn or jsb have released new 25/30 slugs and if dont when they promise to do so?

I still have my best groups with mk2 25 cal pellets with calm weather 50-120m and i think 99% shooters still have their best groups with these pellets!

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: What is the science behind that why is it so hard to beat good pellets "mk2 jsb" against slugs? 

Many says that 36.2 nielsen in .25cal impact or other 25 cals slugs get good or better grouping at 50-150m versus mk2 25 cal but i havent seen any video of that? 

Like many of you think is it you should swag or cast? Is it really the difference in accurary if you swage or cast the slugs???? How do the powder guys and the bullets manufacturers make their bullets? Does the same science apply when you shoot so much faster the bullets compared to slugs? Does that speed make the difference with natural laws that the same science dont apply same ways to the so much difference in speed of the projectile or is it only the "magic" to find right twist with the right projectile with the right all other things to get the slugs grouping as well as the powder guys?

If you take microscopic photos inside the so call same barrels you would see lots of differences in microscopic level and i think that when you have good luck with the barrel you get lucky and get so called natural straight barrel which many gun smith says its only happens about 1/10 barrel! But i dont know try to figure out 15 years and read all the best books and reviews and still dont know or dont have clue what makes the best barrel? Have anyone tried same barrels what the worlds best long range shooters use in powder guns in airguns with different twist?

Long enough text! Please give your opinion what you think is the secret to get slugs as accurate as best pellets in calm weather?

I've been chasing the slug dragon for a while.

My first real success was with the new Superior STX and some NSA .249 29gr slugs in my dreamline. Nothing else I tried (slug liner A, NSA slugs of 4 or 5 weights, H&N slugs, fx slugs, .22, .25, marauder, LW barrel, mutant CZ barrel).

I cannot comment on what particular ingredient makes these so good. Before, my best accuracy was with MKII pellets, in any barrel. Now the NSAs are right up there, one hole groups at 25 yards (forgive me for not owning a larger plot of land).

I will give you what I have found and some of my opinions based on my experiences. I shoot .25 slugs out of unchoked TJ 1:22 airgun barrels. The key is a tight fitting slug and a leade cut to accommodate that slug. Most mass produced slugs are too small because they are designed for pellet guns trying to be slug guns. If your gun is capable, you can slam the back of a cup or dish base slug hard enough with air to get a good seal and get some accuracy with a undersized slug. That’s why you hear guys saying they have to push slugs harder and faster. If everything is right, it shouldn’t matter how fast you push a bullet to get accuracy. I just prefer a slug that fits the barrel. Powder guns are a whole different matter. A .25cal gun will never be shooting a 30-40gr bullet. A .25 powder burning rifle will be shooting a 100+gr bullet 3,000fps so trying to get that barrel to work on a putt putt airgun is hardly worth the trouble. Real guns get a good seal with the projectile because of the extreme heat and blast of the powder charge. Dirty air in front of any projectile, air or powder is a negative thing.

.25 slugs which barrel to chooce with different airguns? I have tried many differend slugs on my edgun .25 cal with huma with different speeds and normal 600mm barrel and i think i try fx hybrids before order new unchoked barrel! Why new fx superior slug barrels have twist 1/23 isnt that very slow rise on the twist if you watch other manufactures? Other companys tighten the twist when shooting "bullets/slugs" ismore like 16 and under? in "normal" airguns have 16-17.7 twist about? Yes i know more lenght to the bullet or slugs needs more tight twist is that maybe why fx uses that twist because airgun slugs are mostly very short? Do anyone know what they have chance the manufacture proses new superior slug liner to the previous one?

Shooting slugs accurately from a barrel made for them is really only a matter of picking the right slug for your barrel and tuning the gun to shoot them. Most people will not take the time and effort to do it properly. It took me many hours, in several days, and several hundred slugs to get it right with my Impact 700 slug barrel. When I change slugs or the tune of my gun, which I do constantly, I have to do it all over again although I am better at it now so it does not take long.

Fx simply uses a barrel and choke diameter as well as a twist rate that werqs for the specific projectiles it was intended to werq with.

Even in the same caliber slugs vary widely in length, weight and in diameter. So many choices is just one reason it is so hard to get the right slug for a non slug barrel.

Like many of you think is it you should swag or cast? Is it really the difference in accuracy if you swage or cast the slugs???? How do the powder guys and the bullets manufacturers make their bullets? Does the same science apply when you shoot so much faster the bullets compared to slugs? Does that speed make the difference with natural laws that the same science dont apply same ways to the so much difference in speed of the projectile or is it only the "magic" to find right twist with the right projectile with the right all other things to get the slugs grouping as well as the powder guys?

Swaging is usually better than cast as there are less defects made in the process and the lead can be softer which is a plus for airguns.

One needs to find the right speed for the projectile with the specific barrels twist rate it is all relevant.

I still have my best groups with mk2 25 cal pellets with calm weather 50-120m and i think 99% shooters still have their best groups with these pellets!

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: What is the science behind that why is it so hard to beat good pellets "mk2 jsb" against slugs? 

Trying to shoot slugs from a choked barrel made for pellets is an entirely different matter. Finding the right slug can be very difficult as sometimes there just isn't one. But with as many new to the market slugs as are being produced these days and FX adding to their Hybrid slug line up the chances get better every few weeks that the proper slug can be found. It can get expensive wading through the many available slugs a tin at a time though for sure.

Many says that 36.2 nielsen in .25cal impact or other 25 cals slugs get good or better grouping at 50-150m versus mk2 25 cal but i haven't seen any video of that?

There are loads of slug tests on YouTube which may or may not influence one's choice. Most of us won't bother to take the time to do a YouTube video. So you have to trust the written word of (many) which I have found to be accurate for the most part. 

I have found the NSA 33.5 and 36.2 slugs shoot smaller groups more consistently than any pellet at 100 yards in my FX Impact slug barrel. The slug barrel shoots the pellets every bit as good as the stock STX barrel did. On a good day I can shoot some 1 inch groups at 100 yards with the JSB 33.95 pellets with an occasional smaller group but most are in the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 in ch arena. I can shoot mostly 1/2 inch groups with some 1 inch groups with the 33.5 and 36.2 NSA slugs.

Reactions: MEC17670
I couldn't agree with Vetmx and Biohazardman any more. The mistake 99% of slug shooters make is they try to tune the slug to the gun. So they spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on slugs, never get them to perform the way they thing they should (like their pellets, or like Matt or Gerard get slugs to shoot from their rifles), so they conclude that the slugs suck, or the rifle is flawed. This is the key to getting your gun to shoot slugs accurately...... You have to tune the gun to the slug, not tune the slug to the gun! 

If you're using a FX with a 600mm barrel in .25 caliber, then get a sample pack of slugs from various manufacturers and run them through the paces. You're going to need a chronograph and patience as you go through the power settings on your rifle to find the sweet spot. Gerard made a GREAT video about tuning his .22 Impact. He tuned the gun to the slug. He used 1 slug, and went through different power settings on his rifle until he saw the groups get tight. He made sure he tracked the velocities, and you can see that a difference of 20fps can be the difference of +MOA and sub MOA groups. In order to be a successful slug shooter, you need a gun that is flexible in it's power settings. Hammer strike, length of stroke on the valve, regulator setting, plenum size..... ALL super important. I've had to learn the hard way. Unfortuantely my gun is a bit more laborious to tune than a FX. So when I find the resonant frequency (sweet spot) where rifle and slug parallel instead of intersect, I keep it there. 

Thank everyone for answers! I try but my own experiences when i have try few more slugs with my edgun with huma regulator! I have regular barrel with choke but there few slugs that i havent tryied yet! We have use polish paste 3 different stifness and cannot say is that helping or not i think its provent accuracy! But its always one hole with good weather 50-65m and 105m good weather 8/10 i hit used shotgun shells! best shooting is 15/15 shotgun shell hitting in 105m in a row!

But thanks for answers!

If we had answers to all this it won’t be any fun.

plenty of guys shoot slugs pretty well out of choked barrel. You have to size slug for barrel.

the FX lower twist rate surprises me but it works for many. I’ve seen videos where guys increase accuracy shooting slugs slower 850 and doing better then 1000 FPS go figure. I’m excited to try out the FX hybrids just waiting on them to ship