.25 Slug Test

FX Impact M3 .25cal 700mm standard superior, barrel tuner, fat boy moderator. 

Tune for those curious: regs: 150/130, micro 4.5, macro 16, valve all the way open. 

I was hoping with the M3 I could see what others were shooting for slugs and they would work well in my gun. Turns out it just doesn't work and you have to spend your time and money on getting the gun to shoot like you want. At least if you want decent, repeatable accuracy. Most know this but it's always worth repeating. Especially since it seems more of us newbies are getting into higher end pcps. 

I tried nsa 29.5 gr, hybrids, nsa 33.5, nsa 38.5 (I know heavy liner is recommended for them but just wanted to experiment), h&n .250 32 and 34.

First tested everything at 30 yards. 

Everyone seems to like hybrids but they have sucked out of both my wildcat mk3 compact and impact m3. Price and lack of performance (for me) makes them a terrible choice.

The best we're nsa 33.5, 38.5, and h&n 34. The nsa's showed potential (38.5s out of the standard superior liner suprisingly could have some potential) but the h&n 34 was beautiful at 30 yards. The h&n 32 gr was not good. Once I figured out what had potential I tuned up the gun a little more using jsb 34gr pellets so I didn't waste slugs just tuning and got them shooting at 944. Same story on the nsa's, they showed potential but didnt tighten up. H&n 34 still looked great. May add more speed later. 

The next day I shot the h&n at 100 yards and was very happy with the results considering the conditions. I don't shoot at this distance much and I don't claim to be a impressive shot so this group was a pleasant surprise. Take away the flyer that was either me or wind shift and that's insane for a shooter like me! With some practice and maybe some tweaking this could be a insane combo! 

20220304_085930.1646451630.jpg
20220304_085848.1646451631.jpg

I'm sure many of you can do better than this but I was super happy with these results and a feeling of accomplishment came over me. I finally found slug lead that my barrel liked and had enough skill and effort to make 4 shots go under an inch at 100 yards. Very satisfied. 

What I took away from this: your own research is the only data that matters. You can watch and read about what others are doing for ideas but you HAVE to test everything yourself. Assume nothing. I never really saw any vids that told me .25cal h&n 34 slugs were viable. Had to test for myself. 

Impact is very hold sensitive so try to hold the gun with same pressure at all touch points like shoulder, cheek and grip.

Would you explain your statement a bit, qball? 😊 – 'Cause... I left the springer universe because of THAT: hold-sensitiveness....

(1) What makes the Impact so very much hold sensitive, even though it is a PCP?

(2) What makes the Impact that much more hold sensitive than say an R5M, a HW100, a Veteran, Uragan, or any other bullpup (at a similar tune and barrel length)?

Not looking for an argument, my friend, just trying to understand what you actually meant by the statement. It'll help me get over my brain cramps that I'm getting as I try to wrap my mind around the idea that a gun costing so much more money than my best PCP is so much harder to shoot.... 

And I've been flirting with temptation.... looking at higher priced PCPs lately (yeah, AGN is a terrible influence on my spending behavior) – but I'd hate to shell out that much more dough for a gun that's that much harder to shoot.... 😉 

Matthias

Every gun is hold sensitive.. even a Barret 50cal

It’s possible your rifle may like all of those slugs… you just didn’t find where your setup was happy with them.

Today I decided to switch from pellets to slugs in my .25 700mm m3. Rifle was a TACKDRIVER with the JSB 25g at 940fps.

I dialed the rifle in at 940fps with 32g dish back slugs I swaged.. and the groups were TERRIBLE. Fist sized groups at 100y. Wouldn’t trust the rifle to pest with. But after a hour of fiddling, the rifle was shooting sub MOA at 100y at 975fps. And by far the biggest thing that tightened up the groups was adding 35fps. They were happier going a bit faster. Groups may tighten up or get bigger with more speed. Will take more testing to find that out.

There is no magic combination.. there is no magic number (be it reg, hammer, or FPS)… you have to spend time slinging the slug down range with a variety of settings and conditions to find that “sweet spot”.

Every gun is hold sensitive.. even a Barret 50cal

It’s possible your rifle may like all of those slugs… you just didn’t find where your setup was happy with them.

Today I decided to switch from pellets to slugs in my .25 700mm m3. Rifle was a TACKDRIVER with the JSB 25g at 940fps.

I dialed the rifle in at 940fps with 32g dish back slugs I swaged.. and the groups were TERRIBLE. Fist sized groups at 100y. Wouldn’t trust the rifle to pest with. But after a hour of fiddling, the rifle was shooting sub MOA at 100y at 975fps. And by far the biggest thing that tightened up the groups was adding 35fps. They were happier going a bit faster. Groups may tighten up or get bigger with more speed. Will take more testing to find that out.

There is no magic combination.. there is no magic number (be it reg, hammer, or FPS)… you have to spend time slinging the slug down range with a variety of settings and conditions to find that “sweet spot”.
You're on the right track. There is no magic combination for all rifles. One thing does apply to all slugs, they LOVE to go FAST. All of my slug pushers are at or above 960 fps. The funny thing is that the faster they go, the tighter the group. No everyone has the same results, proper fitment and speed does make a world of difference.

You're on the right track. There is no magic combination for all rifles. One thing does apply to all slugs, they LOVE to go FAST. All of my slug pushers are at or above 960 fps. The funny thing is that the faster they go, the tighter the group. No everyone has the same results, proper fitment and speed does make a world of difference.

Don’t say that lol. You’ll have me sending these things down range at 1075fps and barely getting a magazine out of the tank 😂. I’ll have to buy another just so I have a rifle with shot count

Don’t say that lol. You’ll have me sending these things down range at 1075fps and barely getting a magazine out of the tank 😂. I’ll have to buy another just so I have a rifle with shot count
I can still get 36+ full power shots at over 960 fps with a 44 grain slug by the use of a free floating hammer and some lucky tuning.

This is such helpful info, just mostly wanted to say thank you guys for sharing. I was wondering how much the hold affects things so to hear opinions on it from experienced airgunners is super helpful.

I've got my M3 Impact pretty dialed in but sometimes my groups will open up with no real wind change, but I hadn't been paying that close is attention to my hold. I'm guessing that's my issue...

Matthias --=--
It is my understanding that the top strap on the Impacts is the weak link (that's why the latest new top rail is popular now). That is why hold affects the outcome. I have tried not touching the cheek piece with little luck, I have tried a stiff hold, which flexes the entire gun as seen through the scope. It seems to need a 'medium' hold with much consistency to shoot well. At least that is my experience anyway.
mike

Last winter project I made my Impact high power to dedicate for slug shooting at 100 meters only. This year season (which means my snow melted in late April) I shoot about 4-5K slugs with the MK2, about half of these number were for endless tuning.
My place is in between Great Lakes, hot and humid 30+C and averaging above 85% humidity, and each of this changes messing up the tunes greatly.
And in 2-3 weeks usually getting a first snow in mid Oct and looks like I am heading towards -30C and 85% humidity.
My experience shooting slugs was fun, but honestly - tiring. Too finicky too sensitive. Once I reach winter again I will convert the MK2 back to pellets again, more user friendly for 100 meters.
And I don't hunt btw, rings scoring only...just to explain my views.