.25 slug liner

Well I put my original smooth twist barrel back in today . the pellet liner nor the slug liner even come close to what it shoots . I'm talking dime size 75 y

And on good days quarter size 100y groups over and over .tonite I was hitting a pellet tin at 159y .4,out of 5 shots . so,I think my smooth twist x and a slug liner.are headed for the classifieds ..... : ) 

I do want to,mention the barracuda hunters preform very well shooting upper 900s maybe even low 1000s out to 75y but kinda open up some at 100y.when shooting in the slug liner .

Well I'm sure it won't be as good as a slug could be on windy days but I think this is how I'm keeping it set up,. I'm going to shoot some 160 yd groups on paper and will post results . I think my gun just don't have the power to make slugs work but I don't want to loose shot count so I'm sticking with what I have .

Not sure why I can't get any real accuracy out of the x barrels ? I tried alot of things but neither the pellet liner or the slug was very impressive.

Maybe I'm just old school smooth twist : )

Jfrench, I’m curious, what reg set-up are u using? I have the gen 1 Impact with factory reg and am achieving 890-910 FPS with King Heavy MKII 34gn. What did you say u were shooting 34 gen JSB at?

Not sure about the barracuda weight but up to 1000 FPS? Man that’s Hookin it!

I think I might hold off on spending any more $ on the Impact. I’m not convinced the gen 1 will work well for shooting slugs. I could add a Huma reg but without extra hammer weight it would probably not be able to take advantage of higher pressures the reg could offer. At the least it would require the 700 mm barrel as well.

Seems more logical to just put the money towards something like a Crown ....if I want to pursue a slug gun. 

Now you’ve got me wanting to put my original smooth twist barrel back on just to see how it compares. The ST shoots faster because I had Ernest enlarge the TP a few years back. I also think that the A Liner puts more drag on the pellet.

If I did anything else, I’d consider getting the TP enlarged for the A Liner as well. Shouldn’t be too much $ for that to gain a little more speed. Will probably order the brass end pre-enlarged from FX and put it on myself.......then call it a day. 

My 2 cents

@chuck you are right the impact does not have an extra weight, the hammer weights around 19 grams and that is enough for the normal use (up to 150 bar of reg pressure), an extra 6.5 gram hammer weight with a 1.5mm head as pre spring load is enough to open the valve fully @ 200 bar, but for that you also need another Regulator (hi pressure Huma i think is the only option), since over 150 bar on stock impact reg (no the new amp) is a no by manual.

@drumsnguns this might help https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-impact-mods-for-more-fpe/

Any Impact should/will shoot slugs well as long you have the right liner and the right power, slugs need speed in order to perform accurate, the hammer weight is a very cheap piece and also very easy to make. I have the X and Shooting the Mk2 34gn @ 945fps, with a 5.8VS, ports elongated (important, elongated not enlarged) and a hammer w, with a 2mm head and a delrin bumper instad of a PUR90 oring (C3 part) @ 145 - 150 bar in a 700mm 0.25 barrel

Well I'm sure it won't be as good as a slug could be on windy days but I think this is how I'm keeping it set up,. I'm going to shoot some 160 yd groups on paper and will post results . I think my gun just don't have the power to make slugs work but I don't want to loose shot count so I'm sticking with what I have .

Not sure why I can't get any real accuracy out of the x barrels ? I tried alot of things but neither the pellet liner or the slug was very impressive.

Maybe I'm just old school smooth twist : )

Some barrels just aren't as good of shooters as others. However There is also probably something to be said for a well seasoned barrel vs. minty fresh new ones perhaps? Hard to say. ;) 

Jfrench, I’m curious, what reg set-up are u using? I have the gen 1 Impact with factory reg and am achieving 890-910 FPS with King Heavy MKII 34gn. What did you say u were shooting 34 gen JSB at?

Not sure about the barracuda weight but up to 1000 FPS? Man that’s Hookin it!

I think I might hold off on spending any more $ on the Impact. I’m not convinced the gen 1 will work well for shooting slugs. I could add a Huma reg but without extra hammer weight it would probably not be able to take advantage of higher pressures the reg could offer. At the least it would require the 700 mm barrel as well.

Seems more logical to just put the money towards something like a Crown ....if I want to pursue a slug gun. 

Now you’ve got me wanting to put my original smooth twist barrel back on just to see how it compares. The ST shoots faster because I had Ernest enlarge the TP a few years back. I also think that the A Liner puts more drag on the pellet.

If I did anything else, I’d consider getting the TP enlarged for the A Liner as well. Shouldn’t be too much $ for that to gain a little more speed. Will probably order the brass end pre-enlarged from FX and put it on myself.......then call it a day.

I have the original reg , not to be set past 150 bar. But I'm,shooting king heavys @ 890 and reg Set to 140. I can get more but this seems the sweet spot .

with the xliner I had everything maxed to get that speed . shot count is important to me so I'm realy not interested in the higher regs .

Plus I'm very confedent I can kill anything that lands within 100 yds of me with my setup now . those barracudas hunters are 27 gn and really smack hard when they connect . I did kill a couple birds with them while playing with the liner and talk about a pop ! Very loud and destructive .,..l May mess with it more later one but lots of black birds and starlings to shoot now that warm weather coming on .

Jfrench. I also swapped back out to the original ST barrel last evening and also got better groups with JSB MKII 34gn.

One thing I noticed that with the ST barrel, my first shot was 7.25” higher than my STX Liner’s POI. Had to dial my scope way down. It was 20 minutes to sundown so no chrony numbers yet.

But the ST had the TP port enlarged by Ernest a few years back so was no doubt shooting significantly faster. In any case here are numbers. 

ST vs STX at 50 y

STX average of four 5 shot groups: 0.672”

ST group set 1: ave of four 5 shot groups: 0.656”

ST group set 2: ave of five 5 shot groups: 0.514”

All pellets washed, lubed but unsorted unweighted 

Hate to think I might have spent 250 bucks for nothing. More test comparisons needed at longer distances where the STX Liner A might shine.

Perplexed!

This is just FYI stuff..…

KP/NC

Jfrench. I also swapped back out to the original ST barrel last evening and also got better groups with JSB MKII 34gn.

One thing I noticed that with the ST barrel, my first shot was 7.25” higher than my STX Liner’s POI. Had to dial my scope way down. It was 20 minutes to sundown so no chrony numbers yet.

But the ST had the TP port enlarged by Ernest a few years back so was no doubt shooting significantly faster. In any case here are numbers. 

ST vs STX at 50 y

STX average of four 5 shot groups: 0.672”

ST group set 1: ave of four 5 shot groups: 0.656”

ST group set 2: ave of five 5 shot groups: 0.514”

All pellets washed, lubed but unsorted unweighted 

Hate to think I might have spent 250 bucks for nothing. More test comparisons needed at longer distances where the STX Liner A might shine.

Perplexed!

This is just FYI stuff..…

KP/NC

LOL .Never for nothing , look how much fun were having !!!! I was shooting my 159yd target yesterday and hitting pretty consistent with st. Couldn't do that with my liner thow ? I'll try to get some video or at least some group pics 

I think you replied to a seven month old post it is old news. ;^) But in all honesty I have a.25 700 slug liner in my Impact that will shoot sub MOA @ 100 yards with several of the NSA and VK slugs. I have not put it on paper yet but at 200 yards I can hit several Spray paint cans in a row before wind conditions change and I have to start over. Several others have posted here that they are shooting the same slugs in .22, .25 and the .30 @ MOA or less at 100 and 200 yards. So, I would guess that most of the problems with these slugs would lie with the shooter and his tune.