Skout .25 Skout Epoch

I have to post again about this same topic. Kind of a follow up. I shot the gun yesterday in very windy conditions. I had a full SCBA tank, so I filled the Skout to 4000 psi, and looked at the HP reg pressure - 1815 psi. I shot the gun down to 2100 psi, and HP reg pressure was 1833 psi. That’s only about 1 bar. Very good performance, and the shot string averaged 958 fps with .25 Heavy pellets.

One thing I did notice in windy conditions with lots of swirls and up/down drafts is that the Skout handles those better than my .25 Red Wolf with the same pellets. It could be that with the 1:28 twist in the Skout it lessens vertical jump compared to the 1:17.7 twist in the RW. In any case, it was easier to shoot good groups and scores in that wind with the Skout.
In little to no wind conditions I think the RW may be slightly more accurate, but yesterday in windy swirly conditions that wasn’t the case.

I rescind my statement that the Skout is only good for Benchrest and not good for EFT and/or PRS type events. Now that the HP reg is functioning properly the ES and SD are comparable to my Red Wolf - the Skout Epoch has my recommendation for all types of competition shooting with pellets.

I have to post again about this same topic. Kind of a follow up. I shot the gun yesterday in very windy conditions. I had a full SCBA tank, so I filled the Skout to 4000 psi, and looked at the HP reg pressure - 1815 psi. I shot the gun down to 2100 psi, and HP reg pressure was 1833 psi. That’s only about 1 bar. Very good performance, and the shot string averaged 958 fps with .25 Heavy pellets.

One thing I did notice in windy conditions with lots of swirls and up/down drafts is that the Skout handles those better than my .25 Red Wolf with the same pellets. It could be that with the 1:28 twist in the Skout it lessens vertical jump compared to the 1:17.7 twist in the RW. In any case, it was easier to shoot good groups and scores in that wind with the Skout.
In little to no wind conditions I think the RW may be slightly more accurate, but yesterday in windy swirly conditions that wasn’t the case.

I rescind my statement that the Skout is only good for Benchrest and not good for EFT and/or PRS type events. Now that the HP reg is functioning properly the ES and SD are comparable to my Red Wolf - the Skout Epoch has my recommendation for all types of competition shooting with pellets.
Regular Heavies, not MKII’s?

I really want one, no i dont, yes i do, no i dont, i was just about to purchase a epoch thinking it was exactly what i was looking for when the author of this thread discoverd a few teething issues/problems, I still want one but Geeze it all seems like A pain in the arse that i,m thinking a fair chunk of wonga for a fair chunk of hassle…..

I really want one, no i dont, yes i do, no i dont, i was just about to purchase a epoch thinking it was exactly what i was looking for when the author of this thread discoverd a few teething issues/problems, I still want one but Geeze it all seems like A pain in the arse that i,m thinking a fair chunk of wonga for a fair chunk of hassle…..
Skout has been great about addressing and correcting issues. I’d say by now most issues are updated in the latest production runs. My last wish is to have something that holds the cocking arm back when cocking like a magnet or ball detent. That’s a big deal for PRS but not for most other things

My last wish is to have something that holds the cocking arm back when cocking like a magnet or ball detent. That’s a big deal for PRS but not for most other things
Showed you "How Too" on that one ... It is not that difficult to do the simple modification ;)

z.jpg

Reactions: Centercut
Yes, gotcha. That was another hint to Skout to institute an improvement to the Epoch. Do I need a bottoming drill for that?
I just spot drilled at @ .220" and using a 1/4" ( .250" ) 4 flute end mill by hand, made the hole @ .120" deep creating a corner/shoulder to hold the depth of magnet which was CA glued into place. Assembled the magnets don't touch, but pass over one another very close.

Sounds like you’re looking for a gun that’ll never have problems or require adjustments. Perfect out of the box, with not one thing to do to it but mount a scope and feed it pellets. They are out there, but just know one adjustment on anything changes how it came from the factory and you risk the domino effect.

It’s the methodical approach that dictates wether it’s a hassle or not

IMHO, if you want a quality gun that is out of the box no adjustment, mount scope and shoot no hassle, look at the Daystate Huntsman Revere or Daystate Wolverine. The Huntsman for .177 or low power .22, the Wolverine for higher power .22 or .25 caliber. Can’t go wrong with either one.

Sounds like you’re looking for a gun that’ll never have problems or require adjustments. Perfect out of the box, with not one thing to do to it but mount a scope and feed it pellets. They are out there, but just know one adjustment on anything changes how it came from the factory and you risk the domino effect.

It’s the methodical approach that dictates wether it’s a hassle or not
No sorry it doesn’t but if i had bought one at the same time as mike for circa 2500€ and i had it fail and then had to return it to skout and then straight away had other issues i would be pissed, I appreciate skout are jumping on the issues and i,m not trying to kick them down as i pretty much will own one, Also i have no problem with tinkering and tuning as i have a few guns in my collection all modified by myself but for me out of the box i would want better,

I did some trial and error this past week with the Gold Skout. I had been close to 960 fps but slowed it down a bit to the low 940s. Better consistency and down range accuracy. It likes the .25 Heavy Daystate Rangemaster pellets the best.
HP right around 1800 psi, LP at 170 ish. Dwell at 25 microseconds.

IMG_1821.jpeg

I did some trial and error this past week with the Gold Skout. I had been close to 960 fps but slowed it down a bit to the low 940s. Better consistency and down range accuracy. It likes the .25 Heavy Daystate Rangemaster pellets the best.
HP right around 1800 psi, LP at 170 ish. Dwell at 25 microseconds.

View attachment 422035
I went out this weekend for a little while shooting too. I tried going to to 960 again because you had good success, but mine doesn’t seem to like it that fast. I thought 930ish was ok with a good spread. Mine still seems to be much better at 910-915. I need to see if I can find a way to tighten the spread up some, but that is where my accuracy is.

I also removed the Whisper parts, and went back to the factory moderator. It is most consistent like that. Factory was also better than with another moderator I tried too.

I went out this weekend for a little while shooting too. I tried going to to 960 again because you had good success, but mine doesn’t seem to like it that fast. I thought 930ish was ok with a good spread. Mine still seems to be much better at 910-915. I need to see if I can find a way to tighten the spread up some, but that is where my accuracy is.

I also removed the Whisper parts, and went back to the factory moderator. It is most consistent like that. Factory was also better than with another moderator I tried too.
Good to know. I still need to try much lower like 860 to 880 fps to see how it does at that speed. I normally do that but everyone that has competed with the .25 was saying 960 ish so I started there.
I noticed at 940 ish my groups tightened up compared to 960+ and actually shot a 230 ish EBR card is swirly winds.

Reactions: Smok3y
Good to know. I still need to try much lower like 860 to 880 fps to see how it does at that speed. I normally do that but everyone that has competed with the .25 was saying 960 ish so I started there.
I noticed at 940 ish my groups tightened up compared to 960+ and actually shot a 230 ish EBR card is swirly winds.
Good point… didn’t even try that low. I don’t think I have had any good groups over 930.

I should probably throw some cards up at 100, to test how it is holding the wind at 100. I usually only group at 50, and then shoot spinners at various ranges from 35-100. It was hitting the smaller spinners pretty well (with light wind). I think the largest spinner I had was 2.5” at 100 yards. I picked up some new spinners for EFT practice, so I post something up soon on those too.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
Hey Guys, couple questions if you don't mind.

When/where is the next EFT event?
Are you removing the rail and resting bottle in bipod saddle?
What is the best shooting sticks to use?

Thanks
I’ll leave that to CC (or others) to answer as he will be able to give you good guidance on all those. I have only ever shot at the bench with mine, and shot regular FT with other rifles, so the idea of EFT is intriguing. I am only about to start playing around with EFT style shooting.

I think CC said earlier that he removed his rail (at least temporarily) for some EFT shooting. I am not going to remove mine yet… I just have a Primos trigger stick, but I remember seeing CC say something once about using a different style that was a U shape instead of V shape. It sounded like a good idea.

Last edited: