Skout .25 Skout Epoch

Hi Luke,
Your charts above have two columns, LP and HP. Do your rifles have two regulators and does the chart reflect the pressures for each regulator to yield the velocity outputs listed in the far right column?
Too elaborate further ..

The LP reg is strictly controlling the pressure for the solenoid valve that controls the spool valve opening.
The HP reg strictly controls the pressure within plenum for each shot.
Generally as one increases or decreases HP setting the LP setting follows along also going up or down & in most situations / settings.
The LP does not need to be changed once set for the most part.
* Only found if changing the electronic dwell substantially from #23 default may further LP changes yield any desirable difference.

Too elaborate further ..

The LP reg is strictly controlling the pressure for the solenoid valve that controls the spool valve opening.
The HP reg strictly controls the pressure within plenum for each shot.
Generally as one increases or decreases HP setting the LP setting follows along also going up or down & in most situations / settings.
The LP does not need to be changed once set for the most part.
* Only found if changing the electronic dwell substantially from #23 default may further LP changes yield any desirable difference.
Scott, I understand the plenum pressure and its relation to power and operations. But the LP valve seems like if it operated properly, the pressure of that reducer should work across various HP settings. What is the benefit to changing the LP reg pressure? On the Skout that I have, a .25 caliber 25-inch barrel, the HP is at 1600psi and the LP is at 190psi. That results in about 920 fps with 34 grain King Heavy Mk2, and very good accuracy.

As far as the very slow leak, I'm still trying to track that down. We thought the probability was a gauge (there are 3), so I removed all three gauges and resealed with an "X" ring vice the black teflon tape wrap from the factory. Skout is sending me a new stop valve that goes between the bottle and breech, since the one I have doesn't seal the HP air in the bottle from the breech completely when shut. I wanted to report that this very slow leak in no way affects the operation of the gun. I'll shoot it again at 100 yards this weekend, and try the .25 Heavy Mk2, the .25 Heavy Mk1 and the JTS 34 grain. We'll see which one shoots the best from the Skout. I'm going to leave the pellet speed at 920 fps for now...

Scott, I understand the plenum pressure and its relation to power and operations. But the LP valve seems like if it operated properly, the pressure of that reducer should work across various HP settings. What is the benefit to changing the LP reg pressure? On the Skout that I have, a .25 caliber 25-inch barrel, the HP is at 1600psi and the LP is at 190psi. That results in about 920 fps with 34 grain King Heavy Mk2, and very good accuracy.
In a spool valve ... it is JUST pressure differential on the sealed piston end of the valve that creates the spool to shift from closed to open. Higher the LP is set, more abrupt or violent the spool moves and a tad longer it takes for the bleed hole in poppet head to get the piston to get closed. At 1600 on HP, would think you needing no more than @ 130/140 on LP.

If its working well .. then there it is & stay with it ;)

Reactions: Centercut
Here is some information regarding the speeds and power you can expect from the 25" barrel on the gun. You can achieve higher outputs from the long barrel. Right now we only have pellet barrels available. The stock guns come with the standard valve installed, but we do offer the higher power valve as an accessory item! If you have any questions let me know!

View attachment 397834
Do you by any chance have recommended HP/LP and dwell settings for 35" barrel in .25 cal?
I'm still trying to get the 35" barrels to shoot with good accuracy.
groups fall apart after 60 meters whatever I do.
I've shot with various pellets, speeds from 850 to 1050, played with dwell from 18 - 23 always with the same results, groups falling apart after 60 meters.
I know I can shoot better since I can do it with my other air rifles.

Do you by any chance have recommended HP/LP and dwell settings for 35" barrel in .25 cal?
I'm still trying to get the 35" barrels to shoot with good accuracy.
groups fall apart after 60 meters whatever I do.
I've shot with various pellets, speeds from 850 to 1050, played with dwell from 18 - 23 always with the same results, groups falling apart after 60 meters.
I know I can shoot better since I can do it with my other air rifles.
yes, I recommend trying dwell settings from 25-32 shooting around 930-950 fps. LP should be around 150psi, and I recommend shooting the JSB 33.95 gr MKII pellets. do you have a 35" kit with 3 liners or 1 liner?

yes, I recommend trying dwell settings from 25-32 shooting around 930-950 fps. LP should be around 150psi, and I recommend shooting the JSB 33.95 gr MKII pellets. do you have a 35" kit with 3 liners or 1 liner?
I have 3 liners kit.
To get LP to around 150 PSI I'll have to adjust it separately from HP because if I crank HP so far high that LP get to 150 PSI it will shoot well over 1100 FPS. I have no problem in cranking LP up separately, I was just under impression that it shouldn't be done since adjusting HP moves LP along with itself.

Factory settings was HP 1700 PSI, LP 170 PSI but that was with 25" barrels. In the meantime I bought 35" barrel kit and to shoot 930 FPS, HP needs to be lowered to about 1450 PSI, which in return lowers LP to around 130 PSI.

Last edited:
Perhaps the high power valve might help you out ?,
but thinking about it at the speeds you mention your getting what is the point of the high power valve ?, Is it for shooting super heavy pellets/slugs ?,
I really like this thread as i,m learning from it,
Also following on from my earlier post if & when i upgrade from a pellet barrel to a slug barrel can i do this just with the slug liner ?
Thanks

I have 3 liners kit.
To get LP to around 150 PSI I'll have to adjust it separately from HP because if I crank HP so far high that LP get to 150 PSI it will shoot well over 1100 FPS. I have no problem in cranking LP up separately, I was just under impression that it shouldn't be done since adjusting HP moves LP along with itself.

Factory settings was HP 1700 PSI, LP 170 PSI but that was with 25" barrels. In the meantime I bought 35" barrel kit and to shoot 930 FPS, HP needs to be lowered to about 1450 PSI, which in return lowers LP to around 130 PSI.
Yes, you can turn the LP up separately, it will just help give you a more consistent shot when it is at 150PSI or above. Are you using the What size liner are you using currently?

Perhaps the high power valve might help you out ?,
but thinking about it at the speeds you mention your getting what is the point of the high power valve ?, Is it for shooting super heavy pellets/slugs ?,
I really like this thread as i,m learning from it,
Also following on from my earlier post if & when i upgrade from a pellet barrel to a slug barrel can i do this just with the slug liner ?
Thanks
It will just be the slug liner, and probably a new probe.

I have 3 liners kit.

What pellets are you shooting?

Some very small minor improvements
Supply the rifle with
Better easier to read gauges
A small section of Picatinni rail on the buttstock
Some kind of provision for a regular bipod , I am waiting for my arca rail atm
A ball detent with the breach open

A collar of delrin or similar that is an interference fit for the liner inside the outer barrel
Dust cover on the filler

Oh and a slug liner .
I know I keep saying this but the Epoch is like no other top end pcp rifle I have ever had

To list a few
Many Theoben Rapids, all gone
Redwolf , gone
Six impacts all gone
Deltawolf gone

Still got a Raw HM1000x lovely but long and struggling to make enough power

The Epoch is just awesome

Haven’t been able to find the slow leak. I resealed all the gauges, and resealed the foster fitting check valve and internal oring. Still has slow leak about 1500 psi per day.

I took it shooting today, and the accuracy from the previous week was still there. I wrapped the STO moderator with gold that matches the gun. Looks great.

IMG_1610.jpeg

So after about 200 shots, the gun started a hiss under the gun coming from around the HP reg. I had to stop for the day.
I watched the Skout videos and removed HP reg valve body and replaced the external orings. Reassembled. Looked good, adjusted for 1600 psi which is the setting it came with.

Unfortunately, now the LP reg doesn’t work at all and won’t give any pressure. (It was at 190 psi since I got the gun). Zero pressure from LP reg, I even removed the LP gauge and no air comes out. So now I’m not sure what my next step is. Oh, and the slow leak still exists.
Probably time for a trip back to PA…. 😞

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: MAUMAU and Revoman
Honestly I'd dump the gun under water with everything that doesn't hold air removed, just to find the slow leak and then rapidly dry it off and fix...I don't have time to go chasing a leak with guesses...I bet these guns are great when in working order but when not, ugh, headache central. GL

-Matt
I might do that with some guns. The Skout is an electronic gun, so consider that.

I might do that with some guns. The Skout is an electronic gun, so consider that.

I said I'd remove all things that don't hold air, which should include electronics?

Besides, if they gun allows water to ingress into the electronics that seems pretty flawed, we're not dumping this thing under 10 meters of water, just a quick dump in a puddle...

-Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotchmo
Hmmmmm, a €3000 gun that’s loosing air and having problems already gotta say its put a dent in my enthusiasm
as if i could get a reply from SKOUT ESPAÑA which i have tried but been ignored to see if they have stock i was about to part with some wonga and get my hands on one, Also Francisco (epoch spain) if you read this will you be able to repair and service the Epoch ?,

@Centercut -

It is unfortunate that you are experiencing air leak issues, but I'm sure once Skout determines where the leak is coming from, it will be an easy fix.

Have you tried the soapy water method of trying to find the leak? In a pinch, I spray a little windex on and if there are leaks, small bubbles appear.

I think Skout has some amazing potential, and once their teething issues are sorted, I very much look forward to ordering one.