• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skout .25 Skout Epoch

Here is a 25” .22 barrel
IMG_9052.jpeg
IMG_9051.jpeg

A word of caution if you order a DonnyFL adaptor to use the 1/2-20 adaptor on Skout for your own moderator. Not all Adaptors will fit. They could have been made so that they would fit all Skout by making the cavity 1/4 inch deeper at the most, but they didn't. So, with SOME Skout Epoch the barrel nut sticks out a tad too far for the adaptor to seat on the lip of the "cone" section. See photos below.
I informed DonnyFL and was told to get a different brass barrel nut that is shorter. The reply didn't sound like the DonnyFL service that I have been used to over the years... :( The response said something about version 1 OK and version 2 not OK, and then Skout going back to version 1 brass barrel retainer nut. Or, they could have just made the cavity a bit deeper and satisfied all versions...

Skout donny 1.jpg

skout donny 2.jpg

A word of caution if you order a DonnyFL adaptor to use the 1/2-20 adaptor on Skout for your own moderator. Not all Adaptors will fit. They could have been made so that they would fit all Skout by making the cavity 1/4 inch deeper at the most, but they didn't. So, with SOME Skout Epoch the barrel nut sticks out a tad too far for the adaptor to seat on the lip of the "cone" section. See photos below.
I informed DonnyFL and was told to get a different brass barrel nut that is shorter. The reply didn't sound like the DonnyFL service that I have been used to over the years... :( The response said something about version 1 OK and version 2 not OK, and then Skout going back to version 1 brass barrel retainer nut. Or, they could have just made the cavity a bit deeper and satisfied all versions...

View attachment 404680
View attachment 404681
Thanks for keeping us updated on all your findings Mike.

Because of this thread and others lately about the customer service they have shown, and me wanting to try a different brand, I ordered a Skout yesterday.

I figured I “might” want to try another moderator, so almost ordered the DFL adapter, but thought I would try out the rifle first. Glad I didn’t jump in there yet.

Can you tell me the size of your retainer nut, so if I decide to go this route, I will know if his adapter will fit the rifle I have on the way?

Thank you sir.

Thanks for keeping us updated on all your findings Mike.

Because of this thread and others lately about the customer service they have shown, and me wanting to try a different brand, I ordered a Skout yesterday.

I figured I “might” want to try another moderator, so almost ordered the DFL adapter, but thought I would try out the rifle first. Glad I didn’t jump in there yet.

Can you tell me the size of your retainer nut, so if I decide to go this route, I will know if his adapter will fit the rifle I have on the way?

Thank you sir.
Look closely at my photo. You can see two threads showing after installing the liner and snugging up the lock nut. If there is less than two threads showing, you'll be able to use the adaptor no problem. You can always use the adaptor by using the extension for the factory moderator, but it will make the assembly about 2 inches longer.
So, from the cone, it should be cone-adaptor-moderator. If the brass barrel nut is slightly too long to allow the adaptor to seat on the lip of the cone assembly, you can use the extension from the factory mod so that its cone-extension-adaptor-mod.
I prefer to keep the assembly as short as possible but no matter how your gun is you can make the adaptor work. Also, if you order a 35-inch barrel vice the 25-inch barrel the factory mod will be quiet enough...

View attachment 404680
View attachment 404681
Unfortunately this is the case with the DonnyFL adapter. Although if you are looking to quiet down the Epoch, keep an eye out for a new post from us next week!

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is the case with the DonnyFL adapter. Although if you are looking to quiet down the Epoch, keep an eye out for a new post from us next week!
Ohhhh you love teasing us don't you? Especially this time of year.

I do hope that the amazing service and support reflects the character and commitment of all those involved. That it's a foundation that Skout is built upon and that it continues long into the future. It's these reasons along with the aesthetics that it will likely be my next airgun purchase.

SMOKEY3Y- you’re gonna really like that new Skout. I’ve been back n forth discussing this platform with 7 other fellow Skout owners and all have nothing but good to say about this gun. I’ve owned mine right at 3 weeks now and each day as I go thru it and study the 60 page owners manual(available online), I appreciate the engineering that went into this thing, and I still haven’t even shot mine!! CENTERCUT told me( he had his on hand three weeks before I got mine)that the Skout Epoch magazine was the best mag he’s ever held/owned/used. Now that I’ve held one, I have to agree.

As soon as I spend time with it behind the bench, I already know there’s going to be more to appreciate, based on what my fellow Skout owners have shared with me.

with what little I myself have learned about it, my advice to you is to set aside all you know about basic functions of a pcp. It’s not a “un box and start shooting” type of pcp we’ve gotten accustomed to. So by setting past experiences aside you won’t be prone to find fault, like the stupid one that first came about when the gun was first released- “oh, that voice talking is so annoying…”, or “OMG this thing has so many safety features!”(actually that’s a great thing!)

This Skout is very unique in its own way. When I cocked the gun it caught me off guard- no feeling of spring compression!! Wow! The trigger, another Wow!
Yes it will take some getting used to, but I’m excited. I truly feel nothing but good is to come once I’m ready to play with it.

Good luck with yours, and please post pics of that baby once you get it, on this thread!

Shot the gun yesterday until the battery died. Started at 60% charge. I’d say I shot about 300 rounds.
I was trying to see which pellet is best at 100Y, between JSB MK2 Heavy and JTS 33.8 grain. Results are inconclusive. Both shot very well in swirly 10mph conditions. Both liked going fast, 965 fps maybe more. The JTS POI was about an inch higher than the MK2 JSB.
One thing I’ve noticed shooting from full fill. SD is good but ES for a full fill could be better. I go from 965 fps ish with 3600 psi down to 945 fps ish at 2000 psi. That's with reg starting at 1870 and ending at 1760. That's about a 7 bar drop, not as bad as it sounds in psi.
The gun unlike conventional hammer/knock open valve systems is very plenum pressure sensitive. So this full fill drop of 20 fps is about as good as it’s going to get with the current regulator. Perhaps this is why @stoti added an inline bottle regulator to his Epoch.
It’s not bad at 100Y, about 1/2 inch POI drop.
Oh, and here’s 15 shots at 100Y with the JTS 33.8 at about 960 fps

IMG_1653.jpeg

Last edited:
If operating at plateau, a drop from 1870 psi to 1760 psi should equate to about 20 fps difference using napkin math with 34 gr in 25 cal. If tuned below plateau then one should see a slight rise or less variation, but with this valve being solenoid actuated, it's dwell is timed more consistently regardless of pressure compared to conventional valves which makes sense as to why it would drop more than a conventional valve as pressure drops.

-Matt

Reactions: Centercut
I installed the digital gauges that Scott @Scotchmo sent me, they read in psi and have 1/8 NPT threads. Thanks Scott!!!
The analog factory gauges were replaced and re-taped at the factory before it was sent back to me (it was at Skout a couple weeks ago for LP reg failure and significant “slow” leak) but it still had a 500 to 800 psi overnight drop. After installing the digital gauges the slow leak stopped. ZERO. I think those 50 cent gauges that Skout uses are potentially faulty as far as 100 percent holding pressure.
Here’s two photos of what it looks like for bottle pressure and plenum pressure. I left the LP pressure gauge as is. Normally set to about 180 psi.

IMG_1665.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

SMOKEY3Y- you’re gonna really like that new Skout. I’ve been back n forth discussing this platform with 7 other fellow Skout owners and all have nothing but good to say about this gun. I’ve owned mine right at 3 weeks now and each day as I go thru it and study the 60 page owners manual(available online), I appreciate the engineering that went into this thing, and I still haven’t even shot mine!! CENTERCUT told me( he had his on hand three weeks before I got mine)that the Skout Epoch magazine was the best mag he’s ever held/owned/used. Now that I’ve held one, I have to agree.

As soon as I spend time with it behind the bench, I already know there’s going to be more to appreciate, based on what my fellow Skout owners have shared with me.

with what little I myself have learned about it, my advice to you is to set aside all you know about basic functions of a pcp. It’s not a “un box and start shooting” type of pcp we’ve gotten accustomed to. So by setting past experiences aside you won’t be prone to find fault, like the stupid one that first came about when the gun was first released- “oh, that voice talking is so annoying…”, or “OMG this thing has so many safety features!”(actually that’s a great thing!)

This Skout is very unique in its own way. When I cocked the gun it caught me off guard- no feeling of spring compression!! Wow! The trigger, another Wow!
Yes it will take some getting used to, but I’m excited. I truly feel nothing but good is to come once I’m ready to play with it.

Good luck with yours, and please post pics of that baby once you get it, on this thread!
In the spirit of continuing our Skout megathread, I thought I would chip in with a small update and thoughts after unboxing my new Skout 25.

1. This thing is a beast! I didn’t weigh it, but it is easily the heaviest rifle I have owned without a scope. That is a good thing to me, because I always add weight anyway. I still might add some weight (why not) to the MLOK rails, and of course a 3+lb scope.
  2. I went with .25, because I wanted something different and have only briefly owned a 25. I also have the 25” barrel. It came with all 3 of the original liner inserts from before they changed. Says it was tuned for 920 with 25gr pellets, so I already see I will need to do some tuning later for 34gr.
  3. I do have the extended bipod rail. I wish all the manufacturers would include these, but all the major ones don’t.
  4. I was surprised with a DonnyFL adapter that I wasn’t expecting. It does screw all the way in, so score!
  5. It didn’t include the new barrel lock, as the dealer forgot to include it with the older stock rifle, but Skout responded to my query for a free one really quickly and is sending me one.
  6. This case is heavy duty. I never use the cases, so we will see if this is a good thing or something they could have saved on. The tool case appears to be made by the same company that makes them for Eagle Vision. I like these and use my Eagle Vision ones for other things. I also like the nice set of Allen keys.
  7. I do have a new enough version that includes the on/off switch on the bottle, so that is good. So many dials everywhere!
I looked through the included manual, but I look through the online version as well. Very detailed with real pictures.

Biggest problem I have is no spare scope! Looks like I’ll be taking my Falcon off my FT rig until I can pick one up. Also picked up a Ghost off a friend, so I have some work cut out for me trying 2 completely new platforms to me.

IMG_6280.jpeg

I greatly appreciate this input from you! I will make sure to review this list with the team! A few things to note for you and others who may not already be aware -
3- there is a hunt mode on the current model Epoch that silences the rifle completely so animals are not alerted. You can also turn the volume completely off in the settings which will keep it completely off in all shooting modes.
12 - the current trigger on the Epoch is adjustable in pre-travel, post-travel, Trigger weight (magnetic return), and Trigger point (where the trigger actuates the switch to fire.
A hunter's perspective:
  1. I was certainly considering the Epoch, but was thrown off my the weight, so I'm glad to hear you are putting a new model on a diet.
  2. Another thing that stopped me cold was no sling mount points, as I can't imagine doing much woods walking carrying such a heavy airgun! I would greatly appreciate either MagPul or M-Lok mounts build into the butt stock.
  3. Your biggest competition at your price point is the Western Airguns Sidewinder, and it has semi-auto capability. Full auto is a novelty for hunters, but there is definitely a place for the quick follow ups provided by a semi-auto.
Very interested in what you have in store.

On Sunday at EBR, in the raffle after the awards ceremony, I won a .25 Skout Epoch in Gold (they call it Champagne).

So this week I’ve shot it over the chrony with MK2 Heavy, and it shoots approx 920 fps. The only issue is that it has a slow leak somewhere, I’ll have to call Skout about that, it goes from 3000 psi to 1500 psi overnight. Other than that everything functions as designed. I replaced the stock moderator with an STO Falx high flow because it is much quieter and can’t have loud where I shoot normally.

I took it to my range this morning to break it in and sight in the scope. I shot a mag at 50 yards, them moved to 100. Shot two more mags (25 shots per mag) and the gun accuracy improved with each mag. This is ten shots after about 75 shots through the gun at 100 yards light breeze.

View attachment 396823

View attachment 396821

So then I decided to set the gun up like I would at a match, front tripod and rear ST rest. This ten shot group 100Y light breeze is after about 150 shots break in. And a pic of the gun set up for competition.

View attachment 396826

View attachment 396827

So far I am happy with the gun and just need to work out the slow leak issue. More to follow.
Wow that gold and black looks sick!

In the spirit of continuing our Skout megathread, I thought I would chip in with a small update and thoughts after unboxing my new Skout 25.

1. This thing is a beast! I didn’t weigh it, but it is easily the heaviest rifle I have owned without a scope. That is a good thing to me, because I always add weight anyway. I still might add some weight (why not) to the MLOK rails, and of course a 3+lb scope.
  2. I went with .25, because I wanted something different and have only briefly owned a 25. I also have the 25” barrel. It came with all 3 of the original liner inserts from before they changed. Says it was tuned for 920 with 25gr pellets, so I already see I will need to do some tuning later for 34gr.
  3. I do have the extended bipod rail. I wish all the manufacturers would include these, but all the major ones don’t.
  4. I was surprised with a DonnyFL adapter that I wasn’t expecting. It does screw all the way in, so score!
  5. It didn’t include the new barrel lock, as the dealer forgot to include it with the older stock rifle, but Skout responded to my query for a free one really quickly and is sending me one.
  6. This case is heavy duty. I never use the cases, so we will see if this is a good thing or something they could have saved on. The tool case appears to be made by the same company that makes them for Eagle Vision. I like these and use my Eagle Vision ones for other things. I also like the nice set of Allen keys.
  7. I do have a new enough version that includes the on/off switch on the bottle, so that is good. So many dials everywhere!
I looked through the included manual, but I look through the online version as well. Very detailed with real pictures.

Biggest problem I have is no spare scope! Looks like I’ll be taking my Falcon off my FT rig until I can pick one up. Also picked up a Ghost off a friend, so I have some work cut out for me trying 2 completely new platforms to me.

View attachment 406336
Congratulations!