• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skout .25 Skout Epoch

@Centercut -

It is unfortunate that you are experiencing air leak issues, but I'm sure once Skout determines where the leak is coming from, it will be an easy fix.

Have you tried the soapy water method of trying to find the leak? In a pinch, I spray a little windex on and if there are leaks, small bubbles appear.

I think Skout has some amazing potential, and once their teething issues are sorted, I very much look forward to ordering one.
Thanks. It’s such a slow leak that it’s very hard to find. And now that the LP reg doesn’t work, I think I’m stumped.
I DMd with @Scotty1 and he told me when he had recurrent issues with his Skout decided to send him a lower assembly that contains the reg, valve, gauges, etc. Looks like a fairly easy job and Skout has videos on line for step by step. Here’s his photo of the gun disassembled to replace the lower assembly (the black unit on the left in the photo). So I’ll talk to Darryl next week about that. Much better than sending the gun in, and after replacement I send them my faulty lower assembly.

IMG_1612.jpeg

I do hope to get it repaired in the next week or two since I want to shoot the gun at the EFT GP event near Orlando, FL. It does shoot very smoothly off bucket and sticks and is as accurate as my .25 Red Wolf that I shot at EBR 75/100 yard BR events.

I had been shooting my .30 Delta Wolf at EFT, and came in 4th in the EFT event at EBR 2023. But there are advantages to shooting .25 compared to .30 caliber, since the .25 Heavy BC is a little better than the .30 JSB 50.1 grain, and on the closer KZs with smaller openings the smaller diameter pellet is a slight advantage.

So far I am happy with the gun and just need to work out the slow leak issue. More to follow.

No electronic solenoid is going to have 100% seal. So depending on how slow the leak is, (if you're talking a couple of hundred PSI over a day or two) it's likely leaking through the solenoid. There is an on/off bottle valve knob to prevent this. Just turn the bottle valve to off when you're done shooting and if it's a solenoid leak, it should disappear.

Has anyone tried looking for a leak using smoke, a smoke pen or similar.

Nice idea, certainly works on cars with very troublesome leaks in their vacuum / purge systems, I don't see how it could harm a pcp.

No electronic solenoid is going to have 100% seal. So depending on how slow the leak is, (if you're talking a couple of hundred PSI over a day or two) it's likely leaking through the solenoid. There is an on/off bottle valve knob to prevent this. Just turn the bottle valve to off when you're done shooting and if it's a solenoid leak, it should disappear.

Wouldn't this leak out of the barrel be very detectable with say a balloon or zip-lock bag taped around the barrel? I'd imagine @Centercut removed that possibility through his process of elimination? I don't think solenoid valves should leak 1,500 psi over night, but my thoughts could certainly be incorrect, any valve should hold air indefinitely until seal wear indicates need for attention or by some other fault. High Pressure Solenoid Valves (up to 10,000 psi) are used across many industries that rely on not leaking, their use in airguns doesn't present them with unfamiliar territory/pressure ratings.

-Matt

Last edited:
It loses all air in under 24 hours. Not acceptable. About 1500 psi overnight.

Skout is working with me to remedy that issue and the non functioning LP regulator. No worries.

Reactions: JoePolanco
Update: Skout has decided to have me send the entire gun back to the factory so Bill can go over it fully. That makes me happy. I’ll ship Friday since I am out of town on business. Darryl says the turn around is only a couple days. Still time to get it zero’d in and good dope for the Orlando EFT GP first weekend in December. I’ve shot it off bucket and sticks for about 50 shots and it sits well on the bipod and is very smooth shooting .25 cal King Heavy MK2 at 920 fps. Will be using my Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x scope.

I have a good friend that has a Skout on the way. He asked me about the threads on the three gauges on the Epoch. All three of mine are BSP (parallel) threads. He told me he asked Skout and was told they are NPT (tapered). Not sure about others, but I am 💯 percent sure mine are parallel threads. Oddly enough, they were installed like you would do NPT threads with LOTS of black sealant tape (Teflon?) and no oring or Delrin gasket at the base. Things that make you go hmmm…. 😉

I have a good friend that has a Skout on the way. He asked me about the threads on the three gauges on the Epoch. All three of mine are BSP (parallel) threads. He told me he asked Skout and was told they are NPT (tapered). Not sure about others, but I am 💯 percent sure mine are parallel threads. Oddly enough, they were installed like you would do NPT threads with LOTS of black sealant tape (Teflon?) and no oring or Delrin gasket at the base. Things that make you go hmmm…. 😉
My skout is sub 100 s/n and uses NPT threading

Hi mike, it may feel like they are parallel threads, but I can assure you they are not. BSPP and NPT theads are close enough in pitch to easily be mistaken for each other. I just checked here and a BSPP gauge will thread in, but for the first few threads it is a looser fit, and then gets tighter near the end. For the record Skout does not recommend trying to use anything BSPP on the Epoch. All gauge ports as well as fill nipple and bleeder valve ports are 1/8-27 NPT threaded.

1698254687947.png

Nice idea, certainly works on cars with very troublesome leaks in their vacuum / purge systems, I don't see how it could harm a pcp.

Wouldn't this leak out of the barrel be very detectable with say a balloon or zip-lock bag taped around the barrel? I'd imagine @Centercut removed that possibility through his process of elimination? I don't think solenoid valves should leak 1,500 psi over night, but my thoughts could certainly be incorrect, any valve should hold air indefinitely until seal wear indicates need for attention or by some other fault. High Pressure Solenoid Valves (up to 10,000 psi) are used across many industries that rely on not leaking, their use in airguns doesn't present them with unfamiliar territory/pressure ratings.

-Matt
No, it would actually be VERY difficult to detect with any traditional leak detection methods. These leaks tend to be VERY slow leaking only about 5-10 psi per hour. That rate is insufficient to blow soap bubbles or move any but the lightest monofilament.

Reactions: Centercut