• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

25 shot groups at 100 with FX 25.4

I hesitate to report velocity because then people get the idea that it's somehow a magical speed. These pellets are extremely tolerant to a very wide range of speed from 875-1025. They will produce outstanding accuracy anywhere in there if you have the system all correct. If someone's gun does great with these at 930...it's likely because that's where the best system tune happens to be. It's a guarantee that it could do just as well at a different speed with the proper adjustments.

That said...I usually set my guns for customers on the high side because I'm tired of hearing that they think the gun needs to go faster. If someone gets beat by someone else going faster...that must be the reason. If someone gets beat by someone shooting slower...they won't want to go slower. It's a guarantee. Nobody ever wants to go slower.

Mike

“Nobody ever wants to go slower.”

Except me. Lol 😆

I’m a firm believer in going slower with a very balanced tune, especially for my short distance precision bench target shooting. Let me explain.

Ed (EPG) just did a huge tune and tear down on my HW100 .22 caliber carbine, in an attempt to getting it to shoot either / both the 15.89 and 18.1 pellets. I had the reg set at 157 BAR and it was shooting the 18.1 at 840-850 FPS. My accuracy was sporadic at 30-40 yards and I was having trouble with achieving good scores with the 30 and 40y Masters cards.

He consulted with a knowledgeable HW100 UK Tuning tech, who told us that the .22 caliber tested much better at short distances at around 22-23 FPE vs. the 28 FPE tune I was used too. They ( UK Tuning) had good results with both the 15.89 and 18.1 at lower velocities. I won’t go into all the specific items which were fixed /addressed, but suffice it to say there was a lot of testing and trial and error to get it shooting very well.

As it turns out, the gun is shooting the 15.89 very accurately at 800-810 FPS. Even more surprising to me, it also is shooting the 18.1 at 745-760 FPS range. Scott Schneider reminded me about ‘slower can be better’ when he worked on my Daystate Regal XL .22 a few years ago, when he tested for optimum accuracy.

Sometimes faster is needed, but not always.

Great shooting as always coming from you. I shoot the FX13.4 in my sub 20 field target gun. Don't weigh or sort. Right from the tin. I like the consistency of this brand. Not the big weight difference from pellet to pellet. Just don't understand if JSB is manufacturing for FX ' why there is such a weight change in the regular JSBs. Can't wait for my new HPX. Will definitely try out the FX redesigned. Guess the barrel is responsible for the weight of the gun then. Are the FX 25.4s labeled as redesigned or just plain?

Will I need that tuner on mine, Mike????

Last edited:
Reactions: thomasair
Great shooting as always coming from you. I shoot the FX13.4 in my sub 20 field target gun. Don't weigh or sort. Right from the tin. I like the consistency of this brand. Not the big weight difference from pellet to pellet. Just don't understand if JSB is manufacturing for FX ' why there is such a weight change in the regular JSBs. Can't wait for my new HPX. Will definitely try out the FX redesigned. Guess the barrel is responsible for the weight of the gun then. Are the FX 25.4s labeled as redesigned or just plain?

Will I need that tuner on mine, Mike????
I'll get in touch with you pretty soon by phone and we can talk about the changes.

Mike

Reactions: Linda_McGee
I hesitate to report velocity because then people get the idea that it's somehow a magical speed. These pellets are extremely tolerant to a very wide range of speed from 875-1025. They will produce outstanding accuracy anywhere in there if you have the system all correct. If someone's gun does great with these at 930...it's likely because that's where the best system tune happens to be. It's a guarantee that it could do just as well at a different speed with the proper adjustments.

That said...I usually set my guns for customers on the high side because I'm tired of hearing that they think the gun needs to go faster. If someone gets beat by someone else going faster...that must be the reason. If someone gets beat by someone shooting slower...they won't want to go slower. It's a guarantee. Nobody ever wants to go slower.

Mike
Good tip! Thank you for your sincerity!

We don't get much snow here. If we do, it's usually only on the ground for a day or two. This area is considered high desert.

We are into wind season. 😀

Mike
20 years ago I would shot maybe 2 matches a summer with poor conditions. The last 5 years I am lucky to shoot 1 or 2 matches a year with good conditions. I am phrasing good conditions as 5mph or less with few or no switches.

The practical purpose it serves for me is that I go though drastically less targets. I can do a 25 shot group 35 times on every target. Plus it's easy to measure a single group and rather time consuming to measure 25 singles.

Yes, a single shot per bull would yield slightly better results because once the hole gets so big you can't tell where things are going and therefore can't correct for it.

Mike