.25 RTI Prophet Performance - I purchased a couple of the Priest 2 barrel kits

( mods - I'm not sure if this is discussion or tuning & tweaking - move it if you see fit )

. . . honestly - I shoot my .22 and .177 Taipan's more than any of my other guns - I hardly ever shoot this one in .25 - it's just way 'bigger' than what I need. ( I'm mostly doing pesting at a couple of local farms and back yard target / plinking )

So AOA did a video on the Prophet and in it they demonstrated how easy it is to change calibers. I just re-watched the part pertaining to the barrel change - maybe they used 'Prophet" barrel kits? They don't have prophet barrel kits listed on their web site or at least I didn't see them when I looked and purchased - all they list are the Priest 2 kits. My experience leaves me wondering if they actually DID change calibers - more on this later*

.177 & .22 - observations so far:
Both are about 3.5" shorter than the OEM .25 barrel. I don't know if that's a "Priest thing" vs. a "Prophet Thing"? Maybe the "native" Prophet barrels are shorter too in the smaller calibers? Anyone know? So right off the bat one will lose a little velocity and it might be a tad noisier

* Both have the priest air stripper or spacer as some call it - apparently RTI changed the diameter of the shroud between the priest and prophet models. This is an irritant as you CANNOT get the priest barrels to seat with that stripper on - you'll have to take the OEM one off and use it. In my case - the one that was on the .25 barrel. RTI Arms Shop has the prophet strippers - I may order two of them. Grrrrr . . . . AOA never mentioned this little gotchya in the video.

Anyway - I put the .22 barrel in yesterday after I got home from work and as expected 18g jsb pellets were super easy to tune and get very consistent accuracy with out in my back yard at 36 yards. I turned the reg down to 115'ish and then dialed the hammer spring until I got them flying at 893'ish - and they were going real well. Then daylight went away. I lost a lot of time due to the damned air stripper size difference - took me a while to figure that one out.

So today when I got home I decided to test some slugs with it and so far - it looks quite promising. Pics below - again - these are just quick and I haven't yet tested real long or attempted to fine tune but . . . so far it looks pretty good. I shot some 27g H&N .218's through it that I was able to get up to 900fps after ratcheting the reg up to around 165-170. They shot pretty good and (actually) grouped reasonably well @36 yds. Not hole on hole and not quite touching either - but they weren't far from touching either. I also have some 27.5g NSA's in .216 - ~slightly~ heavier (lol) but apparently enough to make a noticeable difference in speed - they averaged 863 over 10 shots. BUT - they grouped at 36 and 54 in my back yard exceptionally well. I think there is promise here.

Some of you are by now wondering why he went from .218 to .216. ( lol -- yeah ) I have plenty of H&N .217's that my Taipan Long LOVES in 23g but . . . I'm thinking this RTI has more native "grunt" than the Vet and I'm hoping to shoot something a little heavier with it. I still have some .216 JSB KO's in a tin - maybe 30 or 40 of them - I'm going to give those a go tomorrow. Pics below are from those .216 27.5 NSA's @863. First one just shows both of my distances - I "zeroed" it at the 36 yard tree stump and then move the board back to the other tree at 54 yards. Again - for down and dirty, quick testing after get home from work trying to stay ahead of sunset . . . I'm actually kind of pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping to take it out to a local range this weekend where I can test it @100 + yards.

rti_22cal_.216NSA_27.5g-1.1628125828.jpg

rti_22cal_.216NSA_27.5g-2.1628125848.jpg

Good info jd.

RTI site shows Prophet barrels as 

24" except .177 @ 20", 

Would love to hear how the 20" .177 CZ handles heavy slugs, as an idea bouncing around in my head is to buy a .25 and a .177 kit, and hope RTI get round to putting out their baffle kit ( to fill the extra 4" of shroud )

A 30" .177 high powered, quite ( reasonably quite ) slug shooter, sounds the ticket.

Again, thank you for the info.

@harrymoreland - agreed on baffles for the shrouds. I looked and indeed there appears to be 4.5 - 5" worth of space where some m-rod / taipan type baffles could be put in place - guessing that would indeed make it a bit quieter. With smaller caliber ( .177 ) and/or lower power setting on .22 - one might not even need an aftermarket moderator. I've got a Donny on it @present and that does significantly knock the noise down. I don't run moderators on either of my taipans - they are both amazingly quiet.

I did a little more testing with it yesterday after work - it does look like it's a " .216 " barrel as it seems to prefer those over .217 or .218's. I have JSB KO's flying with "pigeon moa" @54 yards @907'ish fps right now. "pigeon moa" - 10 shots over my chrony - 907 was the average. Shots all grouped about the same size as my thumb. I'd like to get that down to my thumbnail - not the whole digit. ( lol ) I'm confident that I can true it up / tighten it up over the weekend by slightly increasing / decreasing the speed. The barrel was also filthy too as I had been testing various ammo's looking for whatever it looks like it might like. I gave it a good thorough cleaning after I was done yesterday so come this weekend when I start sending more of those KO's through it - it'll be with a clean barrel. That alone may tighten it up some.