.25 R5M long initial impressions

Well it’s been a while since I got the rifle and had the time to take it to the field for review but today was the day! I spent the week trying to dial in 34s to 905fps. Ordered a Huma. I had to up the regulator a couple of times. After all it came out to 130bar on reg and the Hammer spring tension worked up to the 905 mark. 

Then I zeroed at 25 yards and to see how they flew. Pellet on pellet, so far so good. Let’s go find some ground squirrels! 

Our first foray was in a neighbor’s backyard out to a pasture. Didn’t have my Deadshot tripod, just a shooting stick. The ranges were too far but I got lucky with one and sent him rolling down the hill. I thought they’d oblige and be closer, but it was cooler than most days and with the wind they like to keep hunkered. Time to move to a new spot. Not before I stop at the car and get my tripod. 

Popped a few out of a tree and this thing is a sledge hammer! While it carries nicely I didn’t get to shoot it offhand, which I rarely do anyway. It settles nicely into the tripod. Being a bullpup design some have problems fitting into the cradle. Not this one. It points nicely in the tripod. My previous R3 was a little top heavy in the cradle. This one seems to sit a little lower. 

The forward cocking levers are simply awesome! Either side works great. Mag holders are great too. Trigger was ok and manageable. I’ve been spoiled with my Steyr and a reduced sear spring trigger. Ergonomics are top notch. Everything feels right and right where it’s supposed to be. 

Accuracy? What can I say? When I placed it in a tripod, it hit everything I aimed it at. Sure I missed a few on the shooting sticks, but I attribute that to the ranges presented by the squirrels were too far for the sticks. Too wobbly for that far out. But in the tripod, I actually thought it was going to be harder hitting small animals at 72 yards. 

Overall the thing is built like a tank. I’ve heard that description before I had one in my hands but that is exactly how it feels like. My Steyr is elegant. I’ve had the R3 and that was robust. But this is other level T34 tank stuff. But it’s not unwieldy, fact is it carries well and points naturally, and it’s flat base sits well on a bag or in a tripod.

First impression is that it’s really great, and the built like a tank stuff leads me to believe it will be reliable too. I like it.

Reactions: Peskådot671
BlackIce the tins are Edguns repackaged JSB’s, which I believe are Mark 2’s. But I did finish off some Mk 1’s in the early chrono-ing. Pescadot, I bought the Huma before even messing with the Edgun reg, in hindsight I might have played with it a bit beforehand to see what the chrony speeds were like and if I was left with a decent shot count. 

PING PING PING!!!

Also I’d like to add that the ping I’ve complained about has miraculously vanished. I do not know if it’s the sweet spot or the fact I'm moving 34s over 900fps. Like I said I’m using the 34’s left over and when I was shooting it at the settings it came to me with, it was pooping them out at around 840 with a loud ping I complained about. But it’s gone now, I’m glad to report.