N/A .25 PCP for iguanas

You are fortunate enough to live in Florida where several airgun suppliers are based. Southern precision air weapons (spaw), Palm Beach airguns, Talon tunes, and probably some others. I'd go with Talon Tunes, probably more selection. For 1000 dollars you can definitely expect a decent airgun/ scope combo, but I would also look into getting a compressor. Take advantage of living in Florida, and talk to someone local first.

I'm curious why you want a .25 for inside 20 yds? A .22 would be a good choice. Do you have to be careful with neighbors?
You should check out Jessica and her rig.

Or you could just get an avenge-x .25 with a .22 barrel..great iguana set up and for a couple extra bucks you have a quality .22 and .25.

New to the forum and air guns. I live in the center of south Florida iguana country and went shooting with a friend and was hooked. Looking for suggestions on a .25 PCP and optics specifically for iguanas at 20 yards. I’d like to be under $1000 all in if anyone can provide suggestions. Thanks in advance
Do you prefer traditional or bullpop design? I do a corner move on Florida. And i've taken the corners with everything from .177 at 13fpe all the way to .35 at 100fpe. As long as your accurate it doesn't matter what you use. When I say accurate I mean consistently half moa to moa out to 50yds.

Given that you're only shooting out to 20 yd. You do just fine with a notos in .22 under $300, you could get a benjamin maruader in whatever caliber you want, I believe they are around $500-$600. For under $1000 either of those will get you the gun, ammo, scope and a compressor or pump to get the ball rolling.

I'm curious why you want a .25 for inside 20 yds? A .22 would be a good choice. Do you have to be careful with neighbors?
You should check out Jessica and her rig.

I will be taking a lot of shots from a boat, much harder to get a kill shot that way so I’d prefer to have a little more stopping power. Also, yes a lot of it is in residential areas on foot or from a boat.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
Do you prefer traditional or bullpop design? I do a corner move on Florida. And i've taken the corners with everything from .177 at 13fpe all the way to .35 at 100fpe. As long as your accurate it doesn't matter what you use. When I say accurate I mean consistently half moa to moa out to 50yds.

Given that you're only shooting out to 20 yd. You do just fine with a notos in .22 under $300, you could get a benjamin maruader in whatever caliber you want, I believe they are around $500-$600. For under $1000 either of those will get you the gun, ammo, scope and a compressor or pump to get the ball rolling.
I would say I’m a pretty decent shot, but from a boat it gets much more difficult. I’m comfortable with traditional rifles as well as bullpup but a bullpup feels a little better off a boat.

I would say I’m a pretty decent shot, but from a boat it gets much more difficult. I’m comfortable with traditional rifles as well as bullpup but a bullpup feels a little better off a boat.
Okay, I would recommend the Dar Gen 3. Currently it's on sale at pyramyd air for $299 instead of $360. The Gen 3 are superb, they shoot really well and have amazing magazines and are smooth. For the money, it's hard to beat.

Btw I am not recommending this as a bullpup.

Last edited:
Reactions: MDI
One thing to add to the equation is shot count per fill.
I know when we go on day hunts the Last thing i want to deal with is a gun that only gets 25-30 shots per fill, which leads to lugging some form of extra air around.

I know this is out of budget for you, but my favorite hunting rig is my Huben K1 in .22
Set the regulator to 150. and set the power wheel at 22-24, add the 25.4gr or even better the new 28.55gr and you have a stone cold killer semi auto that gets 50 shots on a fill.
You can pick one up used at a decent price if you look...
For glass
I use the Hawke 4-12x40 AO scope with the 30/30 reticle, great clear glass, wide FOV, light weight, and cheap ....Look at overstockoptics for a deal...Hawke part # 14140, look it up on his site, click on it, then click the X button to get out of the screen, a pop up will come up on screen asking you to make an offer, throw one out there and he will respond within an hour in most cases... I have bought some high end scopes Very cheap from him...

Reactions: Flpanhandler
One thing to add to the equation is shot count per fill.
I know when we go on day hunts the Last thing i want to deal with is a gun that only gets 25-30 shots per fill, which leads to lugging some form of extra air around.

I know this is out of budget for you, but my favorite hunting rig is my Huben K1 in .22
Set the regulator to 150. and set the power wheel at 22-24, add the 25.4gr or even better the new 28.55gr and you have a stone cold killer semi auto that gets 50 shots on a fill.
You can pick one up used at a decent price if you look...
For glass
I use the Hawke 4-12x40 AO scope with the 30/30 reticle, great clear glass, wide FOV, light weight, and cheap ....Look at overstockoptics for a deal...Hawke part # 14140, look it up on his site, click on it, then click the X button to get out of the screen, a pop up will come up on screen asking you to make an offer, throw one out there and he will respond within an hour in most cases... I have bought some high end scopes Very cheap from him...
You're missing an important factor here, his bugdet is about $1k for everything. A used huben will cost you anywhere from $1300-$1600 not including everything else.

In terms of bullpup, if you were done for a .22 I would suggest an akela, it get you 55shots on a fill you can get 35fpe out of it. When I had mine for the 1.5yrs I owned it I shot 15.89gr AA pellets at 940fps and whatever I aimed it would get smacked exactly where I aimed. Obviously at longer distances I had to hold over but I've yet to shoot a more accurate .22 pellet gun. But that's just MY experience. You could definitely go for an avenger bullpup, I can't speak on any experience with them though.

You're missing an important factor here, his bugdet is about $1k for everything. A used huben will cost you anywhere from $1300-$1600 not including everything else.
I mentioned being above his budget in the 2nd paragraph of my post ....
You can buy a used Huben for 1000.00 if you work at it, I have bought 2 for friends of mine that shot my new one. That Hawke scope i mentioned can be bought for $100.00, a set of UTG mounts are less than $ 30.00

My point to the OP is maybe save a little more up and by a Quality, reliable gun, that actually has US support, parts and service, that is shooting 52fpe and higher in .22
If he is patient, he can find such a rig ...

Last edited:
I would recommend a used Brocock Bantam or Compatto. The are a semi bullpup and deadly accurate and very reliable. You can find them for around $600 used and in good shape and also a good size for boat use. I would recommend a red dot over a scope for 20yards or under.
Another good choice would be a Huben GK1 pistol with a folding stock. A carbine setup would be very handy in a boat or on foot. With a nice red dot it would be perfect for out to 20 yards. With a scope out to at least 50yards. More than enough power and accuracy. It comes in .22 or .25cal. It is also semi auto!

Last edited:
Reactions: L.Leon
Spyguy's Condor on the classifieds - $400.
Rwsmike's .25 barrel, 18" on the classifieds - $110. Ask if he has the SS endcap.
Any optic will work for 20 yards, something with hash marks for closer shots, so not just a dot or +. The optic will sit over 3" above the barrel line. - under $100.
Total ~$600.
Set up with a paintball CO2 tank the gun will put out at least 18 ft#, plenty for iguanas, with >500 shots per 20oz tank. Florida has great CO2 weather, just don't leave it baking in the sun. Or paint it all a light color. You can leave Spyguy's 14" moderator on for silent shots, or remove for a shorter carbine.
Yes, it is a single shot gun, but iguanas don't move much so follow up shots can be slow.
And the gun is aluminum and plastic so if you drop it in the canal, just fish it out and keep on shooting!
Plus you'll have the .22 barrel that came with Spyguy's gun, and at 24", it too will put out close to 18ft# on CO2.
Just my opinion.

airgunmike56 nailed it. I would save a little more money and get a used Maverick or Wildcat BT. A compact 500mm in either 22Cal or 25Cal will have enough power and accuracy and durability to enjoy for many years. An Arken EPL4 or something similar and a decent compressor. Really youd be looking at closer to $2500 out the door, but well worth it in the long run. Aside from that, listen to JaceSpace1369; he is one of our experienced resident forum lizard enders.

I will throw in my usual Gamo Urban/Coyote option since, I think that might be enough for iguana hunting on the cheap. With something like the Gamo having a smaller air reservoir and lower pressure, you can get away with a decent hand pump. That can save you lots of dough. Rifle, hand pump, and scope you can be in the $700 range easy. But the truth is almost everyone ends up spending a lot more on their 2nd, 3rd, or 37th pcp. So its cheaper to get a top shelf rifle right away.

I would recommend a used Brocock Bantam or Compatto. The are a semi bullpup and deadly accurate and very reliable. You can find them for around $600 used and in good shape and also a good size for boat use. I would recommend a red dot over a scope for 20yards or under.
Another good choice would be a Huben GK1 pistol with a folding stock. A carbine setup would be very handy in a boat or on foot. With a nice red dot it would be perfect for out to 20 yards. With a scope out to at least 50yards. More than enough power and accuracy. It comes in .22 or .25cal. It is also semi auto!
I would love to find one for $600 used. Where are you finding them for that price?

Reactions: L.Leon