.25 Marauder Shroud Torque and Accuracy

Great information. My shroud is pretty darn tight and the gun seems to throw too many fliers. Stock at this point. I will try this and see how it works. Excellent video. Thanks for sharing this information.

Ajshoots mentions the barrel band. I also think that could be an issue. Need to send this gun to a professional and have those bugs worked out.

The barrel band?
I have bought three different barrel bands for my 25 marauder, You sight that puppy in and it will shoot right with my crickets,
You store it, You bump it , you lean it on something and your POI is off, Start over and sight it back in,
My crickets you pick them up and shoot your target every time
I hardly ever shoot the marauder any more , But its had to sell a gun that shoots this good ,
Maybe a bullpup kit for it or a new frame kit,
Still would be way cheaper than a Vulcan, Maybe a War kit, A super tune , Just not sure.
And its only money, LOL
Mike

bill_dd97, I will admit that I never had a POI problem with a stock band on any marauder and I have owned well over a dozen of them. The only reason I like the WAR band is I like the shroud to be rigidly held for piece of mind more than anything else. Never liked the movement that a stock barrel band allows. It has just been personal preference for me to run the shroud tight to the breech to keep out water or dirt. I also have a tendency to tear my marauders apart alot. By running the shroud full tight to the breech and using the WAR band, when I reassemble, POI is usually very close and only takes a few shots to rezero the scope. If the rear shroud mount, rear surface of the shroud and breech face were all square and true, these guns wouldn't be so finicky in regards to how loose or tight the shroud is.

Something that I have noticed is that if I move the barrel band fore or aft slightly I change my POI. Actually I have found better consistency once I began playing with the location of the barrel band. After storage I rarely have to reset anything as the rifles maintain what I had when I finished my last shooting session.
When I built the Disco Double with the BNM Shroud, Lloyd Sikes mentioned to me that I may have to move the barrel bands around to get the maximum accuracy and consistency from the rifle. I used that information when I started modifying my Marauders and found that these rifles were touchy as to the tightness and location of the barrel band. Now I am talking about slight forward or aft movement of the bands and maintaining a floating barrel with the Shroud. All in all of the 4 Marauders in various calibers and modification levels the rifles all perform very well once you get them dialed in using the favored pellets.
A note of caution is that leaning the shroud against a hard surface with a loose band will cause the shroud to move or touch the barrel. This is a guaranteed change in POI. So I handle them by the stock or the scope. Also before your initial hunt of target practice just check the shroud alignment with the air tube and go have fun.
I hand tighten the Shrouds to the breach block...not too tight...but stable. I agree with AJ on how true the mating surfaces between the breach block and shroud should be to get tight groups but try the band location as well over several groupings it may improve your accuracy.

jfraizer30,

Building Marauders is a hobby that I enjoy as much or more than shooting them and hunting with them. Crosman is only a few states away, so shipping is fast, parts are cheap, and support is the best I have ever seen. I also like supporting a USA company. I have owned many other brands and models. AA, AF, BSA, Daystate, and Kalibrgun as well as others. Not claiming that anything was or is wrong with any of those, but none of those other brands have the parts and support availability that the Marauder offers. Due to the large aftermarket and tons of available stock parts, modding and building Marauders into what you want is pretty easy. I build a Marauder into what I want. I build them and sell them for another opportunity to go out to my gun shop and build another gun. I guess it is like a guy who restores nothing but old mustangs. I got tons of parts and all the tools to work on Marauders and simply it is what I want to do. Spending lots of time and anywhere from $800-$1400 on a Marauder might be silly to others, but it is what I want to do.