.25 JTS 33.8 gr. vs JSB King Heavy 34 gr.

I had a chance to shoot .25 Heavy at 100 yards today in very light breeze with a little drizzle coming down. I was shooting my .25 Red Wolf on Medium Power giving about 930 fps for both pellets. I had been shooting .25 King Heavy Mk1 but when I did this comparison all I had left were MK2, which are good but not as good as the Mk1 in this gun - same one I shot last year at EBR.

Here’s a cherry picked for score 5 shots at 100 yards with the Mk1 earlier in the day. Not a group. 5 shots competition style. Love those 50’s!

IMG_1463.jpeg

So then I decided on light breeze 10 shots JTS 33.8 grain and 10 shots JSB MK2 Heavy, both about 930 to 935 fps.

JTS 33.8 grain

IMG_1466.jpeg

JSB King Heavy Mk2

IMG_1465.jpeg

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to tell which one had the better performance.

.25 Daystate Red Wolf ready for EBR2023

IMG_1464.jpeg

If you’re wondering about the Saber Tactical Pro Universal Bench Monopod - just get it. 😉 You can thank me later.

Last edited:
Mike - thanks for sharing. I've been finding the JTS good to 50 yards, but a similar bigger spread at 100. Not .25, but the .30 and the .22.

I picked up a used .25 Red Wolf HP GCU2 from AoA a few weeks back based on the successes you've had with it. Haven't had a chance to stretch it out at distance yet but hope to in the next week or so. If you don't mind me asking - have you done any re-tuning on yours? I'm getting the 930-940 fps you mention with the Heavies on High, but on Medium it's closer to 850.

The ST Monopod looks nice. Bigger than I expected from the pics. Can the cradle be swapped to the other side for lefty shooters? If not - do you see any issues with just turning it around?

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Mike - thanks for sharing. I've been finding the JTS good to 50 yards, but a similar bigger spread at 100. Not .25, but the .30 and the .22.

I picked up a used .25 Red Wolf HP GCU2 from AoA a few weeks back based on the successes you've had with it. Haven't had a chance to stretch it out at distance yet but hope to in the next week or so. If you don't mind me asking - have you done any re-tuning on yours? I'm getting the 930-940 fps you mention with the Heavies on High, but on Medium it's closer to 850.

The ST Monopod looks nice. Bigger than I expected from the pics. Can the cradle be swapped to the other side for lefty shooters? If not - do you see any issues with just turning it around?
I think it could be swapped for lefties, but I’d ask ST for confirmation. I set it so elevation is with left hand fingertips and windage is heel of left hand. Once you do it for a couple cards it’ll be second nature.

My Red Wolf came tuned that way, with .25 Heavy at 945ish (and settled out at 930 to 935 fps). High power is high 900s, which I don’t use. If high gives you 940 I’d just stick with that. It’s only a label. Once you go much over 950 though you’ll get some key holing at 100 yards so stay below 950 fps.

Try both the Mk1 and MK2. Some RW like one better, some like the other. You won’t know until you try at 100 yards.

Good luck at EBR. What do you have attached to the front end of your ball head?
Thanks!
Additional weight.
1 inch brass round bar 6 inch long, 1 inch ID zinc shaft anodes (2), 1 inch ID steel shaft collars (2), 1 inch scope ring QD.
About 4 pounds total weight. It attaches to pic rail forward of the ARCA for the Tripod I’m using for BR this year.

IMG_1430.jpeg