• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.25 Hades for racoon problem,yes or no

Brain shots are my first choice .aim small,miss small.i'am wondering about lung/heart shots?at say 30yds if a rib/bone is hit,will it penetrate enough? I have shot in some duct seal , it's like a clay.at 30yds my sight in distance.no over penetration in 1 1/2 " thick target of duck seal puddy. all were retained in the target.
No, it won't. .25 cal Hades on a raccoon are side of head, between the eye and ear only shots.

Reactions: K9Air
Brain shots are my first choice .aim small,miss small.i'am wondering about lung/heart shots?at say 30yds if a rib/bone is hit,will it penetrate enough? I have shot in some duct seal , it's like a clay.at 30yds my sight in distance.no over penetration in 1 1/2 " thick target of duck seal puddy. all were retained in the target.
You won't recover them all with body shots. I'd wager you won't recover most with body shots if you're not standing at the base of a tree.

Here's a couple of examples...

Hades .25 out of my Vulcan 3.

Distance was approx 30yds.

Apologies for my scope cam not being centered. I whacked it off center and didn't want to fuss with it.

First video, quartering away shot that did pass through rib, lung, and left portion of the heart. Exited through its chest shoulder area. He dropped outside of this concrete wall. It's hard to watch, for me anyways. I won't do vital shots on coons after this one.

The second video, clean brain shot. With a follow-up heart shot. 2 clean shots in my opinion on this one. He expired just over the same concrete wall.

Trash Panda are tough. I've found a side ear shot to be the fastest path to an ethical kill. Severs the brain stem shutting the whole system down.

Both were collected, inspected, cleaned and cooked. Yes, coon can be eaten and it's pretty tasty! (Related to the bear family) 😃 I wouldn't say that for the ones found in the city. But the country ones are corn fed.

K9

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackICE
Here's a couple of examples...

Hades .25 out of my Vulcan 3.

Distance was approx 30yds.

Apologies for my scope cam not being centered. I whacked it off center and didn't want to fuss with it.

First video, quartering away shot that did pass through rib, lung, and left portion of the heart. Exited through its chest shoulder area. He dropped outside of this concrete wall. It's hard to watch, for me anyways. I won't do vital shots on coons after this one.

The second video, clean brain shot. With a follow-up heart shot. 2 clean shots in my opinion on this one. He expired just over the same concrete wall.

Trash Panda are tough. I've found a side ear shot to be the fastest path to an ethical kill. Severs the brain stem shutting the whole system down.

Both were collected, inspected, cleaned and cooked. Yes, coon can be eaten and it's pretty tasty! (Related to the bear family) 😃 I wouldn't say that for the ones found in the city. But the country ones are corn fed.

K9

IMO the 1st shot of the 2nd raccoon point of aim was just above the right eye. Given the tilt of its head the pellet probably missed the brain, but damaged some large blood vessels so it was lethal from the fast blood lost seen pouring out of its mouth. I all the cases I have seen when the brain is hit the coon immediately drops to the ground motionless for 0.5 to 2 seconds. Then it does the death dance for 30 seconds up to 1.5 minutes, with only the body behind the front shoulders making muscular movement.

The shot on the 1st raccoon was also good and ethical. Can't call hitting one side if the lungs and heart a bad shot. Only downsides is that the coon most likely will walk off some distances. I'm surprised that the Hades had that much penetration. What was the muzzle velocity?

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Coons are very tough. Like many wild animals they have a tremendous will to live. I've taken many racoon in both 22 and 25 caliber, always going for the headshot. I've had 2 different coons take a direct frontal headshot and get away. Both times I was using an airgun with 50fpe+ and was inside 40 yards. Was using JSB domes in both cases. The 2 that got away is why I moved up to 25 caliber from 22, but still have to be precise to get an ethical kill.

I'm also curious on the velocity of the hades out of the Vulcan 3?

IMO the 1st shot of the 2nd raccoon point of aim was just above the right eye. Given the tilt of its head the pellet probably missed the brain, but damaged some large blood vessels so it was lethal from the fast blood lost seen pouring out of its mouth. I all the cases I have seen when the brain is hit the coon immediately drops to the ground motionless for 0.5 to 2 seconds. Then it does the death dance for 30 seconds up to 1.5 minutes, with only the body behind the front shoulders making muscular movement.

The shot on the 1st raccoon was also good and ethical. Can't call hitting one side if the lungs and heart a bad shot. Only downsides is that the coon most likely will walk off some distances. I'm surprised that the Hades had that much penetration. What was the muzzle velocity?
True True.. Muzzle velocity... Couldn't really tell ya what it was pushing then. It was still set from Tony @Talon Tunes. I'm going to guess in the 925 fps range. Since then, I've tuned it for NSA 38.5 at 980 fps. Currently it pushes the Hades @ 1065 fps. They're screaming! And still perform with laser accuracy out to 75yds.

I have taken a woodchuck at 30 yrds with a .22 Hades to the head at 32 ftlbs. I wouldn’t take a body shot. The benefit of hades is energy dump and no pass through.

View attachment 113902

A body shot with a 22 Hades at that power will still kill it, but it might be able to run back under the shed first.

A raccoon has more flappy skin around the frame and guts so I could see one living to die another day if you only got a fur shot.

Anyway JSB Hades .25 at 950 fps or so is more than capable of handling these issues, as you seem to have already discovered.

Are you still happy with the Hades? What have you found the optimal FPS to be for you? I shoot them right around 900 and have had pretty good accuracy at 50yrds.

Max out the power on the Hades. It's hard to determine a speed limit but they don't mind going fast. Whatever slight accuracy you may lose is worth the extra power. They aren't field & target pellets anyway. But they still shoot better than 90% of ammo out there and most guns seem to like them OK. Point of impact is usually very similar to the equal weight domed JSBs so going back and forth isn't a PITA.

got this pup and moma laster year 18 gr fx at 900fps drt
IMG_9293.JPG

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Have been using the JSB'S 33.95 MK2 pellets.I know that they will punch through.collateral damage beyond the target.pass through shots can go in any direction after hitting a bone.my buddy took a coyote with a .30 cal,pass through lungs,hit the ground,then a windshield of a tractor .cracked the glass.if the.25 Hades will perform,i 'll use,if not then Domes will work.
(...) .my buddy took a coyote with a .30 cal,pass through lungs,hit the ground,then a windshield of a tractor .cracked the glass, and form the windshield to his mother in law..... A tragedy !.....

I've taken a trash Panda or two when the stars lined up just right giving me very good shot placement via a humble Prod. Then there is the 350mm barreled classic in 25 caliber, which is great for a single dance partner. But sometimes it happens to be date night or perhaps they bring the family along? Well then my 350mm barreled Leshiy 2 takes the floor shooting 25 caliber K&N hunters at 775 fps through a three stack mod-40. This dirt napping 27 lbs. Panda was stalked for two weeks in our avocado grove prior to finally having it's dance card pulled. Via a one am thirty yard frontal heart-lung shot that blew his butt out. :coffee::coffee:
Trash Panda Dirt Nap.jpg

Are you saying you knocked the poop of its butt, or the pellet went in the front of the chest and exited out the butt? The former I can believe the later isn't given it was only a .25 at 775 fps at the muzzle target at 30 yards.

Now I can answer my own question. Just saw the poop knocked out of a coon at 28 yards after getting a 890 fps at .25 JSB MK2 heavy above the right eye. A bio-hazard in more than one way!

Last edited: