• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX .25 FX Maverick Compact vs VP w/300cc bottle

Which one would you get?

• FX Maverick Compact

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • FX Maverick VP+300cc Bottle

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
Looking for opinions on this. I'm overanalyzing this but it's a big purchase so I just want to get it right.

I'm mostly hunting small-medium game at less than 50 yards. Cottontail, possums & coons.

The compact would be slightly more discrete and lighter in my back yard, it is 3.25 in shorter and .9 lbs lighter but it's $200 more.

The VP is $200 less which would allow me to buy a 300cc bottle later ($250) to take off .5 lbs and have two bottles to use, so it would seem to be more versatile. 32" is still a really short gun imo.

I would fit a moderator to either gun so they're both going to get longer fwiw.

Looking for opinions on this. I'm overanalyzing this but it's a big purchase so I just want to get it right.

I'm mostly hunting small-medium game at less than 50 yards. Cottontail, possums & coons.

The compact would be slightly more discrete and lighter in my back yard, it is 3.25 in shorter and .9 lbs lighter but it's $200 more.

The VP is $200 less which would allow me to buy a 300cc bottle later ($250) to take off .5 lbs and have two bottles to use, so it would seem to be more versatile. 32" is still a really short gun imo.

I would fit a moderator to either gun so they're both going to get longer fwiw.
I think you will find that the 600mm barrel on the VP will give your gun much more versatility when it come to different projectiles and power especially in .25. I think you will find that when you are ready for a carbon fiber bottle you will be able to find one here for much less than a new one so I think your thoughts one that are spot on.

I think you will find that the 600mm barrel on the VP will give your gun much more versatility when it come to different projectiles and power especially in .25. I think you will find that when you are ready for a carbon fiber bottle you will be able to find one here for much less than a new one so I think your thoughts one that are spot on.

I agree, I think this is the way to go!

Are you hunting off a bench or bipod or walking? I find myself using my Wildcat BT (which is exactly the same internally) much more than my maverick simply because it is better when off the bench. As to your post, I would have to agree that the VP and get small bottle later (and can get the 300 bar).
Walking, leaning on fences or trees. No bipod, I have some but I just use them for sighting in and tuning. What do you mean 300 bar? I thought it was max 230 or so.

i am biased. I have the Compact in 25. My favorite even though I have a Panthera in 25 and an M3 in 22. Just something about the size and power of the Maverick that makes a perfect combination for the way I use and air gun most of the time.
Even with the short barrel and 300cc tank I can get 3 magazines and a handful of shots out of a fill Shooting 25.4 pellets @ 885 fps.
Saving $200 knowing you are going to spend $250 to upgrade the bottle doesn’t make sense to me.
FX should offer a 600mm Maverick with a 480 CF bottle from the factory. Keep the VP but offer the CF bottle version as well.

Walking, leaning on fences or trees. No bipod, I have some but I just use them for sighting in and tuning. What do you mean 300 bar? I thought it was max 230 or so.
Max is 250 BUT you can put on a 310 bar bottle and the gun will handle it fine. I have a Maverick .22 Compact and a Maverick .25 VP
i am biased. I have the Compact in 25. My favorite even though I have a Panthera in 25 and an M3 in 22. Just something about the size and power of the Maverick that makes a perfect combination for the way I use and air gun most of the time.
Even with the short barrel and 300cc tank I can get 3 magazines and a handful of shots out of a fill Shooting 25.4 pellets @ 885 fps.
Saving $200 knowing you are going to spend $250 to upgrade the bottle doesn’t make sense to me.
FX should offer a 600mm Maverick with a 480 CF bottle from the factory. Keep the VP but offer the CF bottle version as well.
Actually it makes even less sense, you swap out the bottle and you need a moderator BUT it's the only way to get the 600mm barrel. Unless you buy a Sniper or a Compact and swap out the barrel but THEN you may need to swap out the bottle. So, get ready for a convoluted mess, I bought a .25 VP and a larger bottle, I got a pre-broken .25 sniper but turned it into a .22 Compact. Swapped the bottles around so both are larger, Sniper bottle on the .25 VP and the larger bottle from the VP to the Compact, had to get creative on the Compact Mod for clearance.

Pic of of the .22 Compact, no longer f'd up by a previous owner

IMG_1722.jpeg

Max is 250 BUT you can put on a 310 bar bottle and the gun will handle it fine. I have a Maverick .22 Compact and a Maverick .25 VP

Actually it makes even less sense, you swap out the bottle and you need a moderator BUT it's the only way to get the 600mm barrel. Unless you buy a Sniper or a Compact and swap out the barrel but THEN you may need to swap out the bottle. So, get ready for a convoluted mess, I bought a .25 VP and a larger bottle, I got a pre-broken .25 sniper but turned it into a .22 Compact. Swapped the bottles around so both are larger, Sniper bottle on the .25 VP and the larger bottle from the VP to the Compact, had to get creative on the Compact Mod for clearance.

Pic of of the .22 Compact, no longer f'd up by a previous owner

View attachment 376824
Do you have a side by side picture? I’m curious how the length compares, even though I already know what 4” looks like 😂

This is my .30 Maverick set up as a compact With 500mm barrel and 300cc bottle. At a 150 reg pressure and stock hammer and spring it is shooting 84 FPE with 44.75 pellets. It is about 27 inches long. Much smaller than when my gun is set up with the 700mm barrel and 580cc bottle. Add 4 inches to this for the 600 mm barrel. It will still be short.

IMG_4261.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: taoji8

There is not even a wrong answer in any of this. The beauty of the FX stuff is that if you want to change barrel lengths, you can buy a new length and sell the old. For myself, I have the Wildcat BT in .25 with the 700mm barrel and the small 300cc tank. Even with the longer barrel it feels light and is nice for walking with. Maverick has the big bottles and bipods etc and that thing stays on a bipod or tripod. I mentioned the Wildcat as I can say from experience that it is always the one I will grab if doing what you are intending. That stock is just considerably more comfortable....just a small bag and some spare mags and hit the field.

So what you’re saying is I need both 😂
But of course. In all honesty and welcome to Rabbit Hole® stupid, , I had a .22 but was in shop for ages, so I bought the .25, but...had all of this .22 ammo so......needed another gun for it right? Got it pre-distressed, can you say some people shouldn't have nice things, got it all sorted out months later, that one I turned into the .22 Compact. Got the first gun back and made it for 40 yards and under...Zbroia Sapsan S
.IMG_2150.jpeg

I have the compact in 25 and it is a great small gun. Very maneuverable for hunting. I’m glad I bought it. I’m seriously considering buying a bigger bottle (China one as they are way cheaper) and a 700 mm barrel. From videos I’ve watched you can swap to the 700 barrel on the same tune and shoot 33.95’s right about the same speed as the 25.39’s in the compact. Would be a perfect easy swap when more power is needed or bench shooting. Of course it’s all silly as if bigger power is really needed I can haul out the 30 cal gun.

Reactions: sparker