.25 Daystate Delta Wolf for RMAC 2022

Getting ready for RMAC 2022, and had originally planned on my .22 Red Wolf HP (Bleu) for the Hundo, .25 Impact X Slugger for PRS (NRL-22) and the .25 Delta Wolf (made Speed Finals last year with it) for Speed Challenge. I did fairly well last year with all three guns and even shot the event high score at the hundo (out of approx. 300+ total cards shot), but it was qual relay 1 and not the finals.

Just recently I started again shooting the Delta Wolf at 100 Y with .25 King Heavy, and with the upgrades recently done (updated flash BIOS, and aluminum Chrony/Air Stripper) the gun shoots much better than it did over a year ago. In fact, I was shooting it in 12 to 15 mph swirling winds where I have shot over 10,000 practice rounds with Bleu and .22 RDMs, and the .25 King Heavies at 890 fps handled the wind significantly better than the RDMs (and also better than the .30 JSB 44.75 from my Bobcat).

So this got me to thinking. I have 5 weekends left to practice and the DW is shooting lights out. So then I looked in the range bag and found a box of NSA 29 grain HP DB slugs. Loaded up a couple of mags. Same setup as King Heavy at 890 gave me 935 fps with the NSA 29. And they are just as accurate as the King Heavy pellets…

So, I think I’m going to go out on a limb and “one gun” RMAC this year. Shoot King Heavy at the Hundo and Speed, and the NSA 29 grain slugs at the PRS competition. I’ll be giving up some BC compared to the 43.5 or 38.9 slugs in the .25 Impact, but accuracy is there…. Should be cool shooting the same gun at all three events. I even updated the dial a yardage wheel on the scope so bottom half is pellets and top half is slugs…

9E305832-CD75-4936-9040-77C23C348AF8.1651528662.jpeg

D42F63C5-304D-4AE2-9CEF-911B08BA8543.1651528695.jpeg

Sounds like a plan. Daystate should be happy as there is no one else, that I’ve seen or am aware of, shooting the Delta Wolf at the big events. I’m digging it!!

I’ll be hauling (3) different rigs.

Yeah, not sure anyone else from the Wolf Pack will be shooting the Delta, but maybe. It definitely likes the King Heavy better than the Mk2, plus I have a few tins of the “old” Mk1 that I’ll use in the Hundo at RMAC. Still need to lighten up the trigger first stage a bit for BR. 

Just recently I started again shooting the Delta Wolf at 100 Y with .25 King Heavy, and with the upgrades recently done (updated flash BIOS, and aluminum Chrony/Air Stripper) the gun shoots much better than it did 

CC - very nice! I asked you this question in another thread so I’m glad to finally have an answer 😉 I was wondering why there aren’t more Delta’s in competition.

Can you elaborate more on this crony & air stripper? Is it a custom mod or a soon-to-be released factory accessory?

Sounds like a plan. Daystate should be happy as there is no one else, that I’ve seen or am aware of, shooting the Delta Wolf at the big events. I’m digging it!!

WHY WOULD NOBODY BE SHOOTING THE WORLD BEST CLASS DAYSTATE WITH ALL THE BEST TECNOLOGY BUILT INTO A GUN SEEMS TO ME WITH ALL THE STUFF TO TUNE THIS GUN IN WOULD BE A REAL WINNER 

Can you elaborate more on this crony & air stripper? Is it a custom mod or a soon-to-be released factory accessory?

Its a factory upgrade, all new(er) Deltas will have them and I think you can get your current DW upgraded at AoA. You'll need to call them and check on it but from what I understood at the time it was to be a free upgrade along with the BIOS flash... It uses the same circuit board and wiring as the original chrony but upgrades the screw on circuit board holder/air stripper.

WHY WOULD NOBODY BE SHOOTING THE WORLD BEST CLASS DAYSTATE WITH ALL THE BEST TECNOLOGY BUILT INTO A GUN SEEMS TO ME WITH ALL THE STUFF TO TUNE THIS GUN IN WOULD BE A REAL WINNER

Folks are keen to continue to use what they are accustom to and familiar. When I speak of the shooter, I'm referring to the Pro Class. These guys get intimate with their weapons and don't like to change if they are having good results. To add to that, a lot of folks don't prefer the bullpup style. 

Well Douger, it has to do with confidence in the gun, and practice with that gun under competition conditions. Daystate shooters have had the Red Wolf for years, and have "mind melded" with the gun, like I did with Bleu (.22 DS RW HP). I've had the Delta Wolf for over a year now, shot it in competition last year at the Oregon EFT-EBR (won EFT, 2nd 100Y EBR), and shot it at RMAC 2021 Speed Competition (made Finals, got knocked off by Tom Adams in 2nd round).

I've been testing a .22 slow twist pellet barrel for AoA (Daystate) for about 4 or 5 months now, so I haven't shot it much in its .25 setup. As you've heard me "whine", the .22 RD Monsters are great, but pellet quality over the past two years SUCKS, and requires detailed sorting to minimize the chance of a flyer. The .25 barrel LOVES the King Heavy (Mk1), even the newer ones I call Mk1.5. And I don't get flyers with the King Heavy .25.

PS., that .22 Slow Twist pellet barrel I'm testing out is AWESOME!!! It shoots the RD Monsters at 940 FPS better than my RW HP. But I have ZERO trust in the current batches of JSB RD Monsters... They'll break your heart when you least expect it!

And IMHO, the King Heavy .25 is the best pellet in the wind of all the popular pellets. I'm shooting it at 890 FPS, and then with the 29 grain NSA HP DB shooting so well at the exact same setting and giving me 935 FPS, it sets up perfectly for a "one gun" event at RMAC. I'm not that great at NRL-22 (finished 17/69 RMAC 2021) , and probably won't finish in the top 10, but maybe will finish in the top 20 again, so the loss of BC from 0.110 to .090 really won't affect me that much.

Reactions: Stone02
I would rock the Delta, but also bring a back up incase anything happens. Would really suck to get there and something happens to the Delta to take it out of the match. Always good to have a back up rifle.

Good idea. I'll be bringing Bleu as a backup. .22 Daystate Red Wolf HP. Shoots RD Monsters (meticulously sorted) at 975 FPS.