• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.25 Condor SS Questions

A friend of mine is ready to step into the world of PCP airguns after seeing the success I've had with my .22 marauder project. He wants a rifle that he doesn't have to modify to get good results with, but he also isn't ready to drop the money for high end rifle. I have first hand experience with the gen 2 .25 marauder, and I am not quite sure it is the rifle he is looking for. I recently tuned one for another friend and was able to get 24 shots within a 22 FPS spread at 37 FTLBS getting about a 3/4" at 50 yards. Not too bad, but I was hoping to get a little more power with the same shot count and couldn't. I showed him some other options and he likes the .25 Condor SS, but wants to know some info that I am having trouble finding for him. The first thing is accuracy. I have searched YouTube for 50 yard results, but I haven't found a .25 Condor SS 50 yard test. I am also having trouble finding a complete shot string on the chrony with a stock Condor. I've read some really good things on the Condor, but no real numbers. I told him I would ask you guys about it because someone here has to have experience with it. We pretty much want to know what kind of groups you've been getting at 50 yards and how many shots per fill you've been getting within a 20 or so FPS spread.

Hello Helimech,

Don't have any experience with the .25 SS, but I have quite a bit of experience with .22 SS. One of the things I love about the AF guns is their simple, straightforward design. Mine has been highly modified and I've done all the modifications myself; have stripped the gun down to its component parts (including valve disassembly).

I looked back through my original records and I was getting around 40-46 ft-lbs with a variety of pellets and the best groupings were around 3/8" at 25 yds. I bought the gun for hunting and have made a number of modifications with that in mind: Heavy spring, large valve stem, smoothing up the trigger (and removing the auto-safety feature). The AF guns come with a Walther barrel. I "fire-lapped" mine, coating the pellets with LBT lapping compound and shooting them until the barrel was mirror smooth. With all the mods the gun is now shooting a 29 gr Eunjin at 983 fps (about 63 ft-lbs if I'm calculating correctly) around a minute of an angle, and I get a 17 shot string before POI starts to fall off. I fired one 5-shot group at 70 yds that was a half inch, but there was no wind that day and all the stars aligned perfectly. All this from a gun that weighs a bit over 7 lbs and is easily packed through the woods because of its compact size.

Shooting with the bottle as a buttstock is a bit different but is fairly easy to learn.

I think your friend will do well with the SS so would recommend it.

Stephen

I have a .25 Condor SS like it, but if I knew then what I know now.... I would have bought a Cricket.

For what I have in mine... pretty much everything TalonTune and a MadDog stock I could have had the Cricket. My Condor shot alright before the tune and real nice after the tune. The tune turned a bad trigger into a good one.

I've been around enough Crickets to be confident that an out of the Cricket beats my Condor in every way and it's regulated.

'Course to each their own.. An Airforce is definitely a nice gun.

Thanks for all of your input. I understand that if my friend drops more money into it, he could get a better rifle. He is looking for something in the Condor SS price range and wants a .25 cal. If there is a better option than a Condor SS in that price range, then we are all ears. We've seen what the Condor is capable of with mods, but we are curious what a stock .25 is putting out in stock configuration. Knowing my friend, he will eventually want to tinker with it and I know there is an endless supply of parts and mods for the Condor.

I have a Hatsan Pneuma and Benjamin Marauder, both in .22 caliber, and find the two guns comparable in many ways, though the Pneuma was shooting a bit stronger in stock form (around 40 ft-lbs). I've modded my Marauder extensively and it's now quite accurate and powerful (53 ft-lbs). I would ask your friend what he intends to do with his rifle. If he's primarily looking for a hunting gun, then I would still recommend the Condor SS. It's a single shot, which is a potential drawback, but it's compact size and relatively light weight make it much handier in the field than either the Hatsan or Benjamin.

Stephen

I agree with RWSMIKE. They can be a lot of fun to modify ,but you can sink some serious money in one ( They can 100$ your ass to death) and never recoup the invested money .
My advice watch the classifieds of the various forms for one that somebody else has already done the upgrades on and buy it . That's how I ended up with mine .
By the time the guy I got it from had finished sinking time and money in the gun he was burnt out on dealing with it . They are kinda cool in their own way , but almost nobody talks about their faults .

Mind was modified by the time I got it ,but I was getting about 20 shots before I would top it off. Accuracy was good but not any better than my 25 Maruder . 3/4-1 inch at 50 yards . But it packs a lot stronger punch ! Trade off is it is very borderline backyard friendly. And there is just something about the grip , auto safety, and forend I couldn't get past .
Lotta guys complain about head position with the bottle but it never bothered me at all . I would compare the Air force rifles to a new 4WD truck , If ya pimp it out it can be a BadAzz !! If it's a base model its just kinda sad. Lol. Good luck making a decision .
Please bear in mind it's just one guys opinion !!! There are a TON of guys who won't shoot anything else