25 caliber Marauder pellet recommendations for Groundhogs?

😂

I bet that got the blood pumping!

I know some people thought I was using too much gun when I did most of my groundhog hunting with my Benjamin Bulldog .357 shooting Polymags and slugs, but adult groundhogs are as tough as nails, and they need a good headshot between the eye and ear to put them down clean. I have had a lot of success using the Bulldog on bodyshots as well, as a good heart lung shot is easier to get over a headshot.

I am now shooting groundhogs with my FX Maverick VP .30cal and the greatly improved accuracy has liberated me to take more headshots to get the job done. I've been using FX Hybrid slugs, and they are as devastating on groundhogs as they are pricy.

You popped that suckered good! I've never seen a groundhog that size just tumble over like that. Wow! Hellava shot buddy!

Groundhogs are so damn skittish and waiting for a good headshot can mean an escaped garden raider. A good .357 hollow point will allow you to quickly line up the shoulder shot and let loose. Even if the shot isn't perfect there is no way he is going very far with a quarter sized exit hole in him.

Make big holes....win big prizes.
I agree.

Polymags have been my go to pellet for groundhog bodyshots, and it usually puts them down for the count with no exit wound!

You popped that suckered good! I've never seen a groundhog that size just tumble over like that. Wow! Hellava shot buddy!
Why thank you!

Groundhogs have been one hell of a pest for me, and this year things have gotten even worse. I've killed 12 this year already counting the 110 yard kill I got this evening. No video on that one, as I rushed to get the shot.

But here is another video you may enjoy!

I have been sending these 145 grainers from my Texan at around 920 FPS. They do make up for less than optimal shot placement.
Like I said, when I see a groundhog I'm in a hurry to get a shot off. I took a shot at a front facing one, made a horrible shot and hit him in the front leg.
There was enough boogy on the bullet to travel down his whole body and come out the rear leg and I still get a DRT groundhog. I'm positive if that had been a smaller pellet shot he would of skittered off after a shot like that.

1655372863495.png

That's one sweet maverick you have! How are you liking it so far? I just picked up the wildcat bt in 25 I haven't been able to shoot it yet due to not have a fill source so I'm waiting until I get a tank or something. Keep laying the smackdown!
I really love the Maverick a lot! With my scope setup with the built-in ballistics calculator, I just range point and shoot. The .30cal doesn't have as great of ballistics as my .357cal rounds, so I have to do a little compensation for wind at long distances, but making a deadly shot at > 100 yards, and to do it repeatedly is everything an airgunner can hope for!

I would do one thing as soon as you can, and that's to put locktite on the cocking lever grip on the left side of the gun, as mine loosened up after about 200 shots.

cocking lever.jpg

Reactions: SimpleGuy
With 23 groundhogs under my belt this year alone, let me explain what you are dealing with. I have shot groundhogs with 142 gr .357 slugs from my Benjamin Bulldog pushing 170 fpe to the body at 20 yards, and they have run off. Now, they run off and go bury themselves, but if you want a more surefire (some say ethical) kill with the .25 cal, you must go for the headshot.

If you can't get the headshot, the next best thing is a upper body shot (draw a line across their shoulders, and aim just below it a half inch for a heart shot) with a pellet with deep penetration, such as the H&N Hornets (Highly recommended). Don't use Polymags with the .25 cal on bodyshots, because they just have way too much body fat to penetrate to the vital organs. Here is a Polymag body shot with the Benjamin Bulldog .357 at 25 yards, and it had no exit wound.

Similar shots with JSB Exact would exit because of the much harder lead alloy.

These guys are super tough. I've killed my share of raccoons with a .25 cal, but you'll need the perfect head or heart shot to drop a groundhog.
They're in season where you live? In PA, we can't touch em (on the state gamelands) til July. Unless of course you're on private property. 25.39s will work fine.

They're in season where you live? In PA, we can't touch em (on the state gamelands) til July. Unless of course you're on private property. 25.39s will work fine.
In Ohio, they are fair game year round! No bag limit, take them with whatever weapon you like. Just need a hunting license.

Reactions: Trgt_acqd