.25 Caliber HW's

Still getting used to my HW80K, as they are indeed loopy guns. I have the other calibers covered so I recently took the plunge after coming into a stash of old Beeman tins. But they are definitely fun for shorter ranges and my goal is to see if it will eventually over take my old R7 for “backyard work”.

I will add that I also got into .20 this past year and would not have if I’d known the pellet situation. Seems .25 is popular now and there are always pellets coming out for it. But I asked H&N the other day, and they said demand for .20 is so low they only plan to offer the FTT and Kodiak - nothing for hunting!

Reactions: Bolillo
I am considering an HW97 in .25 for target, small game and pests.
It sounds like you want a .22 with a tune kit. You can get about 17fpe out of a .22 97K which is more than enough for most pests without the pellet having to hitchhike itself downrange towards the target.

I can't speak for .20 cal just yet but I have a feeling it's going to be a new favorite when mine finally arrives. On paper its a fantastic target and hunting caliber and based on things I've seen SpiralGroove and others say about it, you really can't go wrong with with a .20

Last edited:
Fellow member Teber66 posted this awhile back on his HW95 .25. While different models, the 95 and 97 have the same powerplant, so it should at least give you a ballpark idea of what to expect if you do buy one: