.25 cal vs .30 cal ??????

I decided against .30 based on lack of availability. PA and Airgun Depot were out of .30 pellets for weeks ,and with the one manufacture being JSB that did not bode well if anything happened to them. Hopefully H & N will bring out a .30 pellet soon. If I need more power than a .25 I use a 9mm Bulldog( 200 fpe) that can shoot .35/9mm pellets(again by JSB),but I also cast my own .357 bullet,therefore, I'm not dependent on JSB inventory. As far as accuracy my RAW 1000X .25 is capable of MOA at 100 yards and I never worry about pellet availability in .25.

I just got a fx boss and i have to say by ear, it is actually quieter than my old hatsan at44 qe long in .25. New predator polymags in .30 have also come out. I like the .30 due to the retained energy out to 200-250 yards. It retains enough energy to body shot birds at that range. Chairgun says it is around 30 ft lbs of energy at that range which i could never get with my old .25 wildcat. One thing to note is that my wilfcat was super quiet compared to my boss. Shooting with my boss is borderline backyard friendly. This is especially true if you are shooting at or near water. The pellets sound like they are exploding when impacting the water. This was only something where i could experience it at close range with the wildcat. Just go with your gut feeling with all the knowledge we gave you here on the forum and i guarantee you will have made the right choice. Also .30 cal eats alot of air :(. Very hard to keep up with my handpump.

I also own a Boss .30cal, if you hand pump yours I really wouldn't want to arm wrestle you!

I've been competing in the Trenier Outdoors 100 BR match with my .25 cal MkII and my .30 cal MKII PP. Winds there are turbulent to say the least. Right now, I would give the accuracy edge to the .30 cal, but I'm still tuning the .25 to find the sweet spot. Other than competition or hunting, I see no reason for the .30. Pellets are far more expensive. The .25 is the best all around caliber especially if you like to do a lot of shooting and plinking. It even works pretty well for small game. I nailed a 20+ pound armadillo at 50 yards no sweat, and there are Youtube videos of guys killing pigs with one shot with the 25..

I am torn between the two calibers currently. Yesterday, I was shooting My Impact II in.25 cal at 70 FPE using HP slugs. I then switched over to .30 cal shooting pellets at 92 FPE. Those HP slugs are quite impressive and seem to explode on impact. The .30 cal pellets (JSB 44.75gr) have that big round dome that clearly smacks harder, but not by much to the naked eye. Tangerines blow apart with both at 75 yards, but still the .25 cal slugs really put on a show. I left it setup for .30 cal as it was just drilling very tight groups on paper, and I'm after a yote causing trouble and need it ready to go. The BC is clearly better with the slugs, but I don't shoot out past 100 yards, so not a huge deal there. I do cast and reclaim lead for both calibers, so no issues with running out of ammo. The commercial projectiles are slightly more accurate, so I keep some around for hunting and back up, but mainly shoot cast slugs and pellets to add to the fun.

First of all you may not compare caviar with chips.

Then compare same quality rifles on 25 an 30 Cal.

If you have a Vulcan 2 in .25 and a Vulcan 2 in .30 Cal, then and only then, you are comparing Calibers, not rifles.

The .30 Cal has more power, better accuracy with wind factor and is more reliable. Disadvantage is shot count.

If I would use the rifle for target shooting or for up to jack rabbit size animals, I will take the .25 Cal.

If I will use for general hunting including coyote size animals, doubless, doubtless, I would choose the .30 Cal.

.30 Cal is a hunting caliber. .25 still is a plinking caliber.

Interesting seeing people back and fourth it. I gave this more thought and in CA hunting with air is very limited. So technically for me there is no point in a 30 BUT I STILL WANT ONE. Just splash factor. Honestly though my 25 is flatter than my 30, faster than my thirty, cheaper to shoot than my 30. If i was really going big bore i would go with a 357 slayer for hunting. A 30 is a step up from a 25 but a real big bore slug gun can't be beat for hunting.

I digress. So after a lot of thought if it is only one. .25 all the way for me. With all the interchangeable barrels one gun 2 barrels works too.

i have the FX maverick in 30cal and i love it... i shooting 44gr jsb at 900fps for 56 shots..with the donnyfl ronin in the end its more the back yard friendly.. i as for ammo price im not a big paper shooter so a tin will last me a little longer then most unless im tuning then $$$ lol

This is very, very helpfull information.

Doubless the .30 Cal deals much better with the wind that the .25 and .22.

The double regulator should provide the must flatten string.

The big tank should provide enough hunting authonomy.

FX are accurate by nature.

The rifle is lightweight.

Once FX make the corrections to the bottle eating problem that many people have being reporting in this forum, then, the Maverick in .30 Cal seems to be a "must to have" for hunting.