• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

(25 cal Sumatra) 1225 fps at 100 yards

"blackdiesel"
"guod123"I was speaking in general about vid. Kenny did some excellent shooting. Having Crickets I always used the Sumatra for it's power and never as a long range target. That was an eye opener, I've shot raccoons on a 3000 fill on hi power with a polymag, it goes supersonic and a NC near 10" LDC does not quiet it down.I think I had around a 150 fps spread thru 12 shots with the 44 grain Eungens not tuned and a 100 psi leak per day stopping at 1400 psi. Not brave enough to take it down, it earns its keep as a dedicated raccoon dispatcher
Anytime you push a pellet supersonic there will be a loud report no matter what moderator is on the gun. The sound of the sonic crack is outside the gun so it cannot be tamed by any moderator. You will notice when he turned the power down and used a moderator it wasn't that loud even though it was still over 50 FPE.

You don't need to send a pellet at supersonic speeds to make it loud from a Sumatra or Career 707. They are the loudest smallbore air guns I have ever encountered by miles.

The pain and ringing in my ear from the one time I tried my 25 cal rifle and my carbine without an LDC was immense and well beyond what I ever thought possible from a 25 cal air rifle. 

Even with an 8" 1.5" diameter NC LDC, it's still more than twice as loud as my next loudest air rifles (and the LDC is the best one I own). 

On the other hand, they are among the most fun to use of all PCP rifles imo. That fast repeating cow-boy under-lever makes them awesome to use at the pistol range with just their iron sights. Everyone should have one in their collection imo.

I agree that they are very vertsatile in terms of pellet choice. I can use them with 51gr slugs at close to 100fpe with the power on full for 10 to 12 shots, or I can flip it to medium and shoot 25gr JSB or 27gr H&N hunter extreme pellets at 50fpe and get quite a lot of shots per fill. 

The power adjuster on my rifle was modified to go pretty much all the way down to below 10fpe. Being able to choose anything from 10fpe to 100fpe gives it the broadest range of options but the noise stops it being truely useful as a backyard gun for me. Even on the lowest power setting it still makes too much noise to be comfortable for me. 

I wish they made more under-lever guns. No other (non-semi auto) design allows follow up shots as fast as that or smooth ambidextrous operation without any mods (pump-action is never smooth). 

I would love a version of the carbine that was refined, regulated and quiet. The only other one I know of is the Parker Hale Phoenix that AOA sells but that is a 12fpe gun. It has a really clever design to hide the air though. If they made a regulated 22 cal version with a premium barrel and quality shroud that put out 30fpe, It would probably end up being one of my favorites. 

"blackdiesel"I have three and have moderators on all of them. They are not overly loud until they are shot on high power. I try to stay around 50 fpe with the 25 cal and 34 fpe with the 22 and they are no louder than any other PCP at that power level.
They really are much louder than just about any other PCP gun even at that level. Now, my hearing is more sensative than average but those things are loud. The only time they get quieter is when the pressure drops below a certain level. They just waste a lot of air which makes them hard to tame.

I heard that a regulator makes more difference to these guns than most. Tom Gaylord said a regulator doubled the number of shots per fill he was getting and dropped the noise a lot.

which LDC are you running on yours?

I beg to differ, they are no louder at the same power level as any other gun. When a gun is at a certain power level it would be harder to tame the sound volume. I had a Sam Yang 909 45 cal with a 12" LDC on it and it was still very loud. As far as a regulator- I have never seen a regulator built for a Sumatra except by a private builder. When Career guns were used a lot in FT, there was one built for the Career 707 but it had a lot of problems because the gun could not be vented and the regulator had to be removed for servicing pretty frequently. I have 2 Anthony Story LDCs I bought used and a generic LDC and all of them make the guns quiet. As stated I keep the power at a reasonable level based on velocities in the low to mid 900 fps with whatever pellet I use.

The Sumatra isn't just a powerhouse with "hunting accuracy".
They are extremely accurate, comparable to the best out there, if you can handle the heavy trigger.
I've tested 5 different. 22's 3carbine and 2 500cc and they all had similar accuracy.
Their barrels are excellent, not choked, 1 in 24 twist and the rifling grooves are shallow... The lands don't imprint the pellets aggressively. Barrel bores are also highly polished so they don't need regular cleaning to maintain accuracy.
It boggles the mind if you think that the barrel is only held in place by the transfer port and the front sight holder. It's not secured in the receiver, without the front sight holder the barrel just flops around.
POI also never changes, even from 200bar down to 100bar with a barrel basically secured by the air tubes!
Everything in its design goes against what other manufacturers do for optimal accuracy.
But it works!

"Froggy."The Sumatra isn't just a powerhouse with "hunting accuracy".
They are extremely accurate, comparable to the best out there, if you can handle the heavy trigger.
I've tested 5 different. 22's 3carbine and 2 500cc and they all had similar accuracy.
Their barrels are excellent, not choked, 1 in 24 twist and the rifling grooves are shallow... The lands don't imprint the pellets aggressively. Barrel bores are also highly polished so they don't need regular cleaning to maintain accuracy.
It boggles the mind if you think that the barrel is only held in place by the transfer port and the front sight holder. It's not secured in the receiver, without the front sight holder the barrel just flops around.
POI also never changes, even from 200bar down to 100bar with a barrel basically secured by the air tubes!
Everything in its design goes against what other manufacturers do for optimal accuracy.
But it works!

I totally agree. I've said more than once that when my Sumatra is shooting in the sweet spot of the power curve it's as accurate as any gun I have personally shot and I have shot a lot of 'high end" guns.

Hey, guys! 

I see that this is quite old, my bad. But....i had to chime in. I talked to H1 a little about this. 

Here's my take.....i see this as a miracle milestone. I don't see how this isn't simply famous. I see a set of conditions; velocity, twist rate, and probably the slightly harder lead compound of the Benjamin Domes. They always felt funny and had a nasty residue .😁 Thing is, I feel like these conditions could be "measured" and repeated. There are some very scientific minds in the arena of this pastime of pcp rifles. How crazy am I to assume that these conditions could be repeated and reassembled in different calibers, rifles, applications in general?

I'm now going to buy one of these rifles, always wanted one, and let Dr. Piatt tune the thing. 300 fps is 33% faster than our normal velocity limits. The trajectory is nothing short of incredible. I just feel like it can become our standard with group efforts. (Unless I'm the only one who would like that 🤣)

Ok, y'all can begin correcting my theory now, haha

Chris