• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.25 cal POWER!

what fps/fpe do you like to shoot your .25?

I’ve been messing with my regulator pressure a lot and can’t seem to find the best leave it there spot yet.

I have the leshiy 2 with 350mm barrel shooting around 170 bar at around 60-65fpe I have a few different ammunition that’ll give me very different results and speeds but my goal is to tune it to a very powerful, efficient state where I can throw it in a backpack go hunting for the day and not to refill my 300cc tank so far air efficiency hasn’t been a problem I can get around 40 shots before I drop below 130 bar out of this 350mm barrel not too bad. Also have some issues with groupings but yet it’s hard to really solve that since I have a crappy scope so not sure if it’s the gun or that But I figured I need to start with jets. Maybe sizes .2/.2 and another pair of .5/5 and try those two sizes out but I also can’t get my hands on them.. anyway
I’m not too sure how other guns regulate pressure but some info on .25 cal what what’s best Speed to shoot them at and how you like to save air etc..
I’m currently shooting avs 254 34gr and hades 26gr

E610EF62-7D18-4E27-ADDA-B711EDF37B13.jpeg

Attachments

• 2825A67A-13FC-40AE-B9A9-627F9BAE00BB.jpeg
    2825A67A-13FC-40AE-B9A9-627F9BAE00BB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 44
My only 25 is a Maverick Compact. All I shoot out of it are Hades 26 and JSB 25.39’s.
It really likes the 25.39’s. Very accurate. 886 is the average speed.
Both pellets shoot so well that I have never wanted to up the weight or pressure.
I use right at 100 bar to get that speed. The little 300 bottle will give me about 55 shots before it is off reg.

what fps/fpe do you like to shoot your .25?

I’ve been messing with my regulator pressure a lot and can’t seem to find the best leave it there spot yet.

I have the leshiy 2 with 350mm barrel shooting around 170 bar at around 60-65fpe I have a few different ammunition that’ll give me very different results and speeds but my goal is to tune it to a very powerful, efficient state where I can throw it in a backpack go hunting for the day and not to refill my 300cc tank so far air efficiency hasn’t been a problem I can get around 40 shots before I drop below 130 bar out of this 350mm barrel not too bad. Also have some issues with groupings but yet it’s hard to really solve that since I have a crappy scope so not sure if it’s the gun or that But I figured I need to start with jets. Maybe sizes .2/.2 and another pair of .5/5 and try those two sizes out but I also can’t get my hands on them.. anyway
I’m not too sure how other guns regulate pressure but some info on .25 cal what what’s best Speed to shoot them at and how you like to save air etc..
I’m currently shooting avs 254 34gr and hades 26gr

View attachment 281357
60fpe is a way too hot for a 380mm barrel that's your problem

oh i like the jsb 34s at about 920 in my souped up mrod .. regulator whats that, all i need is a couple of clips ... .25 is to pricey to shoot alot to me anyway .....
Yea maybe a tad but not too bad..
60fpe is a way too hot for a 380mm barrel that's your problem
I don’t think so.. .25 cal shoots best around 900 fps which is like 60-70 fpe I’m shooting heavy weight bullets

how are you getting that kind of muzzle energy from a 380mm barrel with a 34grain slug @ 900 - 950 fps? Also, to get that kind of energy from the 25 grain you'd have to be pushing about 1040 - 1060 fps.
How are you getting those numbers that's a lot of speed for that little barrel?

My M3 500mm .25 has a 580cc 300bar bottle. when it's a full 300 bar fill I get 185 shots shooting 25 cal jsb, aa or fx pellets at 900-910 fps ish that's about 44-46 foot-pounds. When I use heavier pellets and slugs the count goes way down. 38.5 grain Nielsen the shot count is in the 80's or 90's going around 975ish fps around 80 foot-pounds.

You need to define what you will be hunting. 50 foot-pounds are enough for must of what you can take with a .25 Cal.

More fps mean less shots per fill. For doves, rabbits, jack rabbits 43 foot pounds are perfect. Even for a coyote with appropriate head shot 43 foot pond will do the job.

I like the 66 foot pounds of my Daystate Renegade HP...... But that is indeed high power for a .25 Cal..... If I go hunting coyotes or javalina, I take a .30 Cal.... Doubtless.

My Maverick with a 600mm barrel prefers 34gr pellets at or under 915fps. Currently it's tuned shooting the FX 34gr pellets on PW7 at an average of 910fps. I also like to shoot the 26.6gr FX Atomic pellets (hades), which I just drop the power wheel down to 5 and they average 915fps. Every once in awhile I'll get a slug craving and shoot NSA 29.5gr on PW7 at 950fps. Then I remember they don't group as tightly as the FX 34's and put the slugs back on the shelf lol. It's possible I could improve the slug groups if I tuned specifically for them, but I rarely shoot past 50yds when pesting so I generally just stick with pellets. The distance I typically shoot is also the reason I've never bothered picking up a superior heavy liner and trying "heavy" slugs. Inside 50 yards, a well placed 60fpe pellet gets the job done very well.

Tungsten hammer, custom spring, custom internal working and a few other things.

Have a 1/3 scale IPSC target that I set out at 100 yards, and the 25 is very easily smacking the head. So much so that it is boring. It can be done but it will take a ton of work and headache to get it there. It will go even FASTER when you put on the 700mm barrel ;)

Reactions: gendoc
"what fps/fpe do you like to shoot your .25", whatever is accurate.
Old Career 707II 34g wad cutters at 600 (no higher) THUMPED out to 30 yards every time, head shots and -due to trigger and I - groups always covered by a dime. Or 44.5g dish HP Pelletman slugs @999fps for 11 shots.
AF Escape 35.4 JSB at 1020 18" barrel excellent groups out to 77 yards-likely further but-. Shot count, well you can do that on one hand.
A friend had a rws48 .25 seems like it was about 600fps with lighter pellets and brain shots on Squirrel and and absolutely flip Marmot over inside 40 yards. And the shot count was staggering!

John

I've had self induced accuracy issues with my air force condor which I believe is solved, I'll know in a couple of days.
My gun is strictly a hunting gun but I still want the best possible accuracy of course.

I'm presently shooting .253 48g slugs at 915 fps giving me roughly 90 fpe with 5/8" groups at 50 yds.

Now to see if I can stay consistent over the next few shootings. My gun seems to have a mind of it's own at times.

I'm using a .25 acp 628mm (24.75") polygon barrel.
Without a doubt it's an air hog. I use around 75 psi per shot and can only get a max of 3 good shots before dropping off which is why when practicing I tether a paintball tank to the gun.

My Avenger is tuned to shoot 25.4 grain FX pellets at 930 fps. At short range (33yards or less) it is very accurate. The one time I shot it further it was not very accurate. Might have just been my ability to shoot in windy conditions or I might be pushing these pellets too fast. This gun will shoot through 3/4 plywood or MDF at 25 yards. Only low 40 fpe.

My P35 likes H&N FTTs which only weight about 20 grains. I turned the regulator down to get them going about 875 fps. Accuracy is good and it really whacks squirrels hard.

I can see wanting enough power to get 33.95 up in the 800-900 fps range. Maybe even low 900s. That will make trajectory better. But if you want to shoot pellets I don't get why it is important to go higher. My relatively low fpe P35-25 does great on squirrels and gets about 70 shots on a 250 bar fill of it's 265cc chamber. It also shoots JSB 33.95s pretty well and I might turn the reg up someday but I will probably try H&N Baracuda Match in it first. My 177 and 22 caliber P35s both really like Baracuda Match. They are a little lighter so I wouldn't need as high a regulator setting to get them up to a good velocity.

I'm not looking for bragging rights on my fpe. I want an accurate projectile for each of my airguns and prefer to have them going 800-900 fps. Fpe can be anything that gives me good accuracy, a reasonably trajectory, and enough penetration. My somewhat light P35-25 tune gives me all three factors.

Reactions: moodyblues
My Avenger is tuned to shoot 25.4 grain FX pellets at 930 fps. At short range (33yards or less) it is very accurate. The one time I shot it further it was not very accurate. Might have just been my ability to shoot in windy conditions or I might be pushing these pellets too fast. This gun will shoot through 3/4 plywood or MDF at 25 yards. Only low 40 fpe.

My P35 likes H&N FTTs which only weight about 20 grains. I turned the regulator down to get them going about 875 fps. Accuracy is good and it really whacks squirrels hard.

I can see wanting enough power to get 33.95 up in the 800-900 fps range. Maybe even low 900s. That will make trajectory better. But if you want to shoot pellets I don't get why it is important to go higher. My relatively low fpe P35-25 does great on squirrels and gets about 70 shots on a 250 bar fill of it's 265cc chamber. It also shoots JSB 33.95s pretty well and I might turn the reg up someday but I will probably try H&N Baracuda Match in it first. My 177 and 22 caliber P35s both really like Baracuda Match. They are a little lighter so I wouldn't need as high a regulator setting to get them up to a good velocity.

I'm not looking for bragging rights on my fpe. I want an accurate projectile for each of my airguns and prefer to have them going 800-900 fps. Fpe can be anything that gives me good accuracy, a reasonably trajectory, and enough penetration. My somewhat light P35-25 tune gives me all three factors.
I agree with you 100%. I, like many, started by chasing high speed/fpe numbers when I first got my FX Maverick in 25 caliber. I had the gun tuned shooting the 33.95gr pellets 975fps, making over 70fpe! But I quickly realized once I started shooting past 20 yards that the grouping wasn't extremely tight. Inside of 50 yards it probably would have been "good enough", but I quickly learned with airguns it's more about precision than power. I slowly kept backing my speed down until I was getting one hole groups and found 915fps was my barrels limit.

If/when I decide I need more power I'll transition to a heavy liner along with heavy slugs.