• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

25 cal H&N slug

In our internal tests with the Red Wolf Safari at 100m, we had the best results with following values:
- Weight 32 - 36 grains
- Speed at 900 ft / sec + -10 ft sec
We didn't recognize a preference for a certain diameter (.2495 or .2505)

I hope this is of help.

Best regards
Jörg
H&N Sport

Did you test the .25cal FX Impact with the standard Superior liner with any of your slugs?

No, we only use the Superior Heavy Liner with the Slugs.

I am sorry.

Best regards

Jörg

H&N Sport

Hi Jörg,

What were your testing values for the superior heavy liner? I'm using the 25 Cal 600mm heavy liner, and I've been testing the .249 and .250 from 28 to 34 grains, and I haven't been getting great results at 80-100 yards, about 2-inch groups. I have been pushing them between 930 - 1050 fps. From 25-50 yards, the groups look promising at really any speed, but the moment I add 30-50 yards, they spread out quite a bit. Any insight into your testing results would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jon

No, we only use the Superior Heavy Liner with the Slugs.

I am sorry.

Best regards

Jörg

H&N Sport

Hi Jörg,

What were your testing values for the superior heavy liner? I'm using the 25 Cal 600mm heavy liner, and I've been testing the .249 and .250 from 28 to 34 grains, and I haven't been getting great results at 80-100 yards, about 2-inch groups. I have been pushing them between 930 - 1050 fps. From 25-50 yards, the groups look promising at really any speed, but the moment I add 30-50 yards, they spread out quite a bit. Any insight into your testing results would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jon

Hi Jon,

These are the variants and settings that delivered the best results in our test series:
- diameter .249 (actually .2495)
- Weight: 32-36 grain
- Speed: 940 ft / sec + -20
- Pressure in the regulator: 145 bar
- Power: Max.
- Hammer spring: 2/6
We get 10 shot groups of less than 30 mm/1.2 inch C-T-C (gun fixed in vice, electronic measurement of results).
Of course, not always...;-)

Best regards

Jörg

H&N Sport

Thanks for the quick response and info Jörg, that is helpful!

One more quick question about the details. How often are you cleaning the barrel? Are you cleaning it every few hundred or just continuing to shoot through the buildup in the barrel? I've heard conflicting ideologies where some clean the barrel after a few hundred slugs and others never clean the barrel, ever. When I did my testing, I was using a rather "dirty" liner, and my groups would shrink and grow, shrink and grow. I wonder if it makes sense to clean the barrel after so many shots and was curious what cleaning strategy (if any) is being used at H&N. Thanks for your insight.

Jon

Wsandid, I have done siginificant testing with the SAFARI & H&N slugs, all results were good, but what really stood out for me was the 36g .2505 diameter, indoors at 50m literally one hole groups with a speed of 900+ sub 1" at 100y is possible if you do your bit! the high power curve on the SAFARI should get you there no problem at all.

I neither lubed the slugs, nor found any issue with fouling, plus I did multiple tests shooting, going back and forth between the H&N slugs and pellets and found there was no issue with having to clean inbetween changes!

Good luck I am sure you will get great results!

In our internal tests with the Red Wolf Safari at 100m, we had the best results with following values:
- Weight 32 - 36 grains
- Speed at 900 ft / sec + -10 ft sec
We didn't recognize a preference for a certain diameter (.2495 or .2505)

I hope this is of help.

Best regards
Jörg
H&N Sport

Did you test the .25cal FX Impact with the standard Superior liner with any of your slugs?

I found the .249 grouped well with either the STD SUPERIOR or the HEAVY SUPERIOR.

Thanks for the quick response and info Jörg, that is helpful!

One more quick question about the details. How often are you cleaning the barrel? Are you cleaning it every few hundred or just continuing to shoot through the buildup in the barrel? I've heard conflicting ideologies where some clean the barrel after a few hundred slugs and others never clean the barrel, ever. When I did my testing, I was using a rather "dirty" liner, and my groups would shrink and grow, shrink and grow. I wonder if it makes sense to clean the barrel after so many shots and was curious what cleaning strategy (if any) is being used at H&N. Thanks for your insight.

Jon

Hi Jon,

We did not notice any particular problem with lead fouling or similar problems (we use an endoscope for visual inspections). That is why we only clean the barrel with a dry wicks after approx. 1,000 shots.

Best regards

Jörg

H&N Sport