.25 cal becoming my favorite

i prefer the 25 cal. mostly as a great all around caliber because of it's versitility. large enough to help forgive less than perfect accuracy while shooting pests to ensure humane kills, as well as small enough to still be economical versus 30 cal and up. so far JSB has proven most reliable for my guns , and i am waiting for the Hades to arrive to complete the supply.

.22/.25/.30 cal I personally think are all equally capable provided you know your s#!*. Notice the reverse bell curve with calibers and their respective surface areas.

.177 to .22 is 24% increase.

.22 to .25 is 13.6% increase 

.25 to 30 is 19.91% increase

.30 to .357 is 19% increase and .357 is 42% increase over .25 cal...

.357 to .45 is 26% increase

-Matt

For me, when it comes to caliber choice, a prime consideration is locale and proximity of neighbors etc.

Of my airgun arsenal -- 15 and counting -- at least half are the .25 caliber. I love the power and versatility of the .25 caliber. And just as "Rangur1" stated, the .25 caliber does provide more margin for error in accuracy when hunting and pesting. 

That being said, due to my backyard -- in this suburban subdivision -- restricting me to 45 yards at best and my consideration for my very tolerant neighbors, I find my preference to be the quieter .22 caliber Taipan Veteran and my modded .177 caliber Impact, with the polygonal LW barrel. 

I love the .25 caliber and if I had the space this no doubt would be my rifle of choice. However, as things stand now,I do not envision acquiring another .25 caliber.

Maybe it's the guns I have but I enjoy shooting my .25 more than the .30. Variety of reasons but at the end of the day, for me, it's about my enjoyment. I won't go into the reasons here other than to say the .25 is just at good at 75 and 100y as the .30 I have and I find it easier to shoot. I don't hunt so that's not part of my consideration.

I need to part with a couple and the .30 is near the top of that the list but I still want to do some more comparison at 100y plus. Of those guns the .25 is just smother all the way around. Not the same thing in diff cal so that could be part of it.

Tough call? I enjoy all the calibers from .177 to .30

Back when I had a .25 cal, it just didn't get shot near as much as the .177's and the .22's.

Been without a .25 cal for over a year and completely jumped up to .30 with the last purchase. Really, really loving the .30 for 100 yd shooting. Shooting tighter groups with my Boss at 100 yds compared to any caliber I've shot so far?

Of course it will probably wind up being shot less than the .177's and the .22's once the new wears off? So, I question myself??? Do I really need a .25 cal???? Heck yeah, I still need a .25! LOL

I can definitely see why folks love the .25!

Fuss

Ever since I jumped to the 25 cal in my Marauder, then later on 30 caliber in my Wildcat and Hercules Bully, I now look at the 22 caliber like it’s a BB. Every time I pull out my Marauder pistol and load up the magazines with 22 cal pellets, I feel like I’m dealing with a toy gun. With that said, I’ll never ever buy a 177 cal. To me, that’s like dealing with an airsoft gun.

Ever since I jumped to the 25 cal in my Marauder, then later on 30 caliber in my Wildcat and Hercules Bully, I now look at the 22 caliber like it’s a BB. Every time I pull out my Marauder pistol and load up the magazines with 22 cal pellets, I feel like I’m dealing with a toy gun. With that said, I’ll never ever buy a 177 cal. To me, that’s like dealing with an airsoft gun.

Bigragu

I know what ya mean, but in my .177's defense......I am shooting the 13.4 grain Jsb's at 20 Fpe on both of my .177's! LOL That's as low as I want to go. And last time I tried, my Thomas shot the 16.2 gr .177's pretty darn good! So between those two size .177's, I guess I tend to throw rocks at the smaller 8.4 gr and 10.3 gr pellets? LOL

So, as of right now for precision shooting inside 35 yds I tend to grab the .177's.

For 35 to 55 yds the .22

Out beyond the 55 yds the .30

But I still feel naked without a good .25 cal though! LOL

Fuss

I jumped straight into a .25 cal with the Marauder and every air rifle since has been a .25. I do have a .22 springer and it is accurate and a lot of fun with H&N Field Target Trophies. I think a lot of guys like the .22 because of it's trajectory.

The .25 for me bucks the wind better and hits harder so its a win win. There is an argument saying there's more choice of pellets for the .22 but my thought on that is that the JSB MKII is both extremely accurate and has a lot of knockdown to it. It's a perfect match for my Impact and Cricket. So far anything it hits is done for; so I don't even bother with other pellets. Just sticking with what works for me.

KP

I hope you didn’t take it like I was baggin’ On the 22 and 177 cal. Not at all, just saying how they “feel” to me after taking ownership of both the 25 and 30 calibers. I own a FWB 124 in 177 that’s accurate, a Beeman R10 in 177 that’s also accurate, and my Beeman RX1 gas ram in 20 caliber has taken a ton of rats back in the day, stopping them right on the spot. I thought I didn’t need any other, till I discovered a Marauder PCP in 25 cal two years ago, and since then, I decided bigger was better. 

But, I know my limitations of what I want to spend on Airgun ammo, and I’ll never ever go any higher than a 30 cal. I can easily go thru a $10.50 tin of Vortex 44.75 grainers at .07 cents a shot in an afternoon of target practice combined with chronograph testing. I can’t see doing the same with pellets that cost .15 to .20 cents a shot. Which is why I’ll never be a slug shooter, lol.

I jumped into the PCP game with a .30 Wildcat but have both .177 and .22 springers. I went right to the .30 for the power. I have a coyote problem at my cabin and wanted the extra power to deal with them with out having to go to a dedicated big bore slug gun. I am planning on adding a .25, .357 and .45 to my collection lol. Yes sir, right down the rabbit hole we go! :)

I jumped into the PCP game with a .30 Wildcat but have both .177 and .22 springers. I went right to the .30 for the power. I have a coyote problem at my cabin and wanted the extra power to deal with them with out having to go to a dedicated big bore slug gun. I am planning on adding a .25, .357 and .45 to my collection lol. Yes sir, right down the rabbit hole we go! :)

Not hard to slide down that rabbit hole. 22,25,30,308,357 in house. Don’t know what 30 you have but check out Nielsen Ammo for swagged slugs. My rainstorm.30 loves them and the hp opens up very well. Longer flatter shooting than the 44.75 and 50 jsb and a lot more energy down range, though the pellets definitely have their good points. I also shoot rick Morrill’s 67 grain bbt and recently got some 62 grain swagged from dale riggert to try today. Have no love for coyotes myself. Good hunting.

Have you taken any Yotes with that 30 cal Wildcat, yet?