.25 cal Avenger or .25 Vectis?

About to pull the proverbial trigger on one of these 2,love me a lever action(vectis) but the Avenger is regulated and very accurate,more powerful+ pretty moddable,but which has more issues and is new user friendly? All I have atm is a hand pump,now I can fill my hp max .457 with the pump but it takes awhile(more so now that the barrel leaks).Silly question I realize as they are completely different styles other than being .25 and same price range.
will be used for plinking and small to medium pesting btw.

Last edited:
airacuda max
That is a pretty nice looking pcp and the wooden stock is a huge bonus.now it will be this or the Avenger (maybe)...but has anyone experienced the gouging of the tube from the clamps on the Avenger?
a link to a video from Air velocity sport
shows what I am referring to at about 27 minutes in to the complete takedown.btw this guy makes some superb stocks!

Last edited:
Reactions: shausen
Boy what a mess I have found myself in!!. Because there are seemingly endless options.I should have titled this thread
"Lost in the mix and searching for a kind of compact,lightweight,RELIABLE, .25 cal pcp on a budget with high accuracy and 50++ FPE!!."

I found a kral puncher in .25 for $350.but looks like it would need an upgrade for specs I"m looking for.
I also looked into the Origin in .25, $300ish, lightweight and accurate,lots of shots on a fill,pretty darn powerful...seems easily workable for a greenhorn like myself.

The Airacuda "unregulated" $300ish,seems very well made and accurate,pretty light and beginner freindly,50+ fpe?

Vectis ...still on radar but only for lever action atm.Seneca is out of my current $ range.

Avenger is like the liberty which is good I suppose? but that barrel band digging into the tank...wonder if it was later updated? also that gun seems like it might be a little too much for me to work on if I screwed it up(I'm prone to doing that.)

then I arrived back at AEA (challenger in .30 and lot's of power) but I have a max .457 and lots of issues for me..

also putting into consideration I would probably have my sightmark wraith on board..but not always.
and noise not really being an issue..

I just like to knock the crap out of things and blow em to shreds,(Cans and things, the occasional pest/varmint)

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and great suggestions!

Last edited:
Boy what a mess I have found myself in!!. Because there are seemingly endless options...I should have titled this thread
"Lost in the mix and searching for a kind of compact,lightweight,RELIABLE, .25 cal pcp on a budget with high accuracy and 50++ FPE!!."

I found a kral puncher in .25 for $350...but looks like it would need an upgrade for specs I"m looking for.
I also looked into the Origin in .25, $300ish, lightweight and accurate,lots of shots on a fill,pretty darn powerful...seems easily workable for a greenhorn like myself.

The Airacuda "unregulated" $300ish,seems very well made and accurate,pretty light..as well as beginner freindly...50+ fpe?

Vectis ...still on radar but only for lever action atm...Seneca is out of my current $ range.

Avenger is like the liberty which is good I suppose? but that barrel band digging into the tank...wonder if it was later updated? also that gun seems like it might be a little too much for me to work on if I screwed it up..I'm prone to doing that.

then I arrived back at AEA (challenger in .30 and lot's of power) but I have a max .457 and lots of issues for me..

also putting into consideration I would probably have my sightmark wraith on board..but not always.
and noise not really being an issue..

I just like to knock the crap out of things and blow em to shreds...(Cans and things and the occasional pest/varmint)

Anyway, thanks for all the replies and great suggestions!
they have fixed the barrel band issue there's now a piece of what seems to be nylon between the screws and the air tube that keeps you for marring it.

Reactions: AirDevil
I would suggest looking for a used FX Wildcat or Maverick etc here on the forum. The Avenger is pretty good, but you will likely end up spending more fixing it up than you can buy a decent FX for. There are Wildcats on the forum for about $800-$900 if you are patient. Or if you buy an Avenger try to leave it stock, but I recommend getting a Saber Tactical pic rail and muzzle adapter and the wood version. I dont have any experience with the Vectis.

Reactions: AirDevil
would suggest looking for a used FX Wildcat or Maverick etc here on the forum. The Avenger is pretty good, but you will likely end up spending more fixing it up than you can buy a decent FX for. There are Wildcats on the forum for about $800-$900 if you are patient. Or if you buy an Avenger try to leave it stock, but I recommend getting a Saber Tactical pic rail and muzzle adapter and the wood version. I dont have any experience with the Vectis.
Thanks for the advice.
I would love to have any FX but I'm afraid I would bang it up just by looking at it too long!
I think your right about the Avenger, when I watched the full tear down video I thought "I need something less intricate".

How do you feel about the Airacuda (non regulated) but still sort of having the power dial to manually regulate,suppose most of these do really..
plus the Airacuda seems of such great quality...no plastic,smooth lever,metal mags.
also I think I read somewhere they were made by Xisico?..I remember when I first started looking at pcp rifles there was a gun made or modded by a guy named Mike? who was supposed to put out quality work....

Last edited:
I think the Airacuda is similar quality to the Avenger overall but probably not as accurate. I own an FX, AEA Challengers, Urban, and an Avenger pcps. Friends have FX, Avengers, and a Gauntlet. The Avengers are all very accurate that we have used, but a little on the fragile side I would say. About half of them have reg creep, and crooked factory scope rails. None of them have been able to shoot slugs well as of yet, but probably would with enough testing. I think the AEA Challenger is a tougher design, but has a weaker mag and valve seal and not as accurate as of yet. But the Challenger can produce some serious energy, and the factory reg has been amazing with very low ES so far. I dont think any of them are tougher, more reliable, more accurate, easier to get parts for than something like a Wildcat. I spent a lot fixing up my Avenger and should have just used the money on a used FX. That being said I doubt you would regret buying an Avenger for your first pcp, they are really fun for the dollars.

I think the Airacuda is similar quality to the Avenger overall but probably not as accurate. I own an FX, AEA Challengers, Urban, and an Avenger pcps. Friends have FX, Avengers, and a Gauntlet. The Avengers are all very accurate that we have used, but a little on the fragile side I would say. About half of them have reg creep, and crooked factory scope rails. None of them have been able to shoot slugs well as of yet, but probably would with enough testing. I think the AEA Challenger is a tougher design, but has a weaker mag and valve seal and not as accurate as of yet. But the Challenger can produce some serious energy, and the factory reg has been amazing with very low ES so far. I dont think any of them are tougher, more reliable, more accurate, easier to get parts for than something like a Wildcat. I spent a lot fixing up my Avenger and should have just used the money on a used FX. That being said I doubt you would regret buying an Avenger for your first pcp, they are really fun for the dollars.
I will definitely give the Avenger another look over.
Thanks for the information on the Challengers, plastic mags I guess? and the dreaded valve seal (at least to me).But I get really tempted by those AEA guns... so much power and range...challenger hitting a golfball at 400 yards(.30) and 199 in .25? and heck even the .22 cal gets 70fpe? just wow!
Now the wildcat is superb quality I'm sure. but I've yet to hold a bullpup style and although I love the compactness,I am not sure how I would like the lever being so close.
any experience with the Origin?

Never had an Origin in my hands sorry. But I think they are cousins to the Avenger. If you get a Challenger certainly get the optional reg, and I think I like the bullpup version better. After adjusting the trigger in my BP its way better that the standard and the barrel is more rigid, but its heavier. I doubt you will be able to hit a golfball at 400 yards with any cheap pcps. 1-2moa is a realistic goal for most air guns and the better ones will do under 1 moa. I have found that air guns are pretty heavy when compared to the PB Im used to, and they carry the weight pretty far forward. Imo the bullpup is much better for carrying around, if you are shooting from a bench it wont really matter. If you dont like a bullpup you can still find great deals on FX Crowns or Dreams etc.

Never had an Origin in my hands sorry. But I think they are cousins to the Avenger. If you get a Challenger certainly get the optional reg, and I think I like the bullpup version better. After adjusting the trigger in my BP its way better that the standard and the barrel is more rigid, but its heavier. I doubt you will be able to hit a golfball at 400 yards with any cheap pcps. 1-2moa is a realistic goal for most air guns and the better ones will do under 1 moa. I have found that air guns are pretty heavy when compared to the PB Im used to, and they carry the weight pretty far forward. Imo the bullpup is much better for carrying around, if you are shooting from a bench it wont really matter. If you dont like a bullpup you can still find great deals on FX Crowns or Dreams etc.
No problem.
The more informative videos I watch it seems that your right about the similarities of the Avenger/Origin/Nova...lots of interchangeable parts.
yea there are same crazy ranged shots on YT (I don't bench shoot much,just thought it was kewl..) with the challengers...although the guy who did 416 yards has his comments off and the barrel looks modified..
bullpup style is also nice to me in that it would seem easier to carry around..
Again, thanks for the insight!

Reactions: MongooseV8
So I guess I better update.
After much deliberation I went with the JTS Airacuda .25 Non-regulated version.
I was swayed by it's craftsmanship, accuracy, easy adjustability of power that I can further increase with heavier slugs and finally price point at $320.

This video convinced me personally.

Thanks for all the help.
maybe in a few months I will grab something else based upon everyone's suggestions!