• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.25 cal 28gr vs 35gr zan

Hi, I Just bought 6pc of 28gr zan slugs in hope that it would shoot better groups than the 35gr i have shot so far.
If it can be called group i can hit 10 shots within 7cm at 100m with the 35gr @ 950fps.

This is all done with standard 600mm liner in crown mk2. I have read more than one post that says 35gr is not optimal in standard liner and a lighter slug would probably do better.

Thats where i finaly gave in and orderd some packs with 28gr and tought to myself this Will be a win win cuz I can now lower the preassure and maintain the same speed and get better groups.

I was soooooo wrong xD i sure could lower to 120bar to get the 950fps but the groups did not get better, about the same. I have tried 910 up to 950 and the groups are about the same, I have not tried higher than 950 yet, anyone here think I need to push 1000-1050 to get better groups at 100m? If not i can Just go back to the 35gr and get even more fpe out of it

Screenshot_20230914_161431_FX Radar.jpg

First and the most important thing with slugs is the Dwell time, slugs are very finicky, you cannot allow blow blast to kick the projectile edge at the muzzle.
Second, the liner twist rate and choke, is that liner meant for shooting slugs?
Third, the liner crowning, it is really doesn't matter if the liner is brand new but it may have "unfinished" Crown.

Btw, myself as well I have found that up to 100 meters the 34gn pellets (MK1) works much better - or easier - for target rings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dairyboy
If you are willing to shoot slower, try around 890fps with the 28gr. I am shooting them out of a 23" Lothar Walther (unchoked) at this speed and they hover around moa. It might be apples to oranges considering the barrels, but worth a shot. Yes, the 34gr JSB pellets do shoot as accurate out to 100 but if there is any wind (which there usually is) these rule out of my gun, because it maxes out at 50fpe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gambler