• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

.25 Air Ranger Extreme 80 for long range target shooting?

Okay, I was in AOA last week and had a long hard look at the .25 DayState Air Ranger Extreme which is capable of 80 ft/lbs muzzle energy with the right pellet. While I was in the store, I dry fired it with and without a Huggett which was amazing. Without the Huggett, the gun is way loud and would definitely require some sort of hearing protection to avoid hearing damage. With the Huggett, it was much quieter as expected and no hearing protection would be needed. Anyhow, want to get into long range target shooting and like the idea of a .25 cal rifle that can shoot heavier pellets with enough speed to maintain a flat trajectory. By long range I’m taking anywhere between 100-200 yards.

I am hoping to hear from anyone who has shot the Air Ranger 80 so they can tell me if this is the right tool for the job.

Thanks,
Scott

I wasn't aware of that so thanks for the info. I'm sure the 34 gr would shoot much better than the current .25 Kings though I'm not sure even 34 gr is sufficient at that power. I guess we will have to wait and see. I'm thinking about getting a .25 Sumatra too and have been riding the fence on pulling the trigger for quite some time. Anyway, I am glad to hear JSB is putting out a heavier .25 pellet. I wish they would do the same for the .22.

I was wondering the same thing as my buddy has the standard air ranger and it does awesome. Watching Ted's video I think the extreme is too much for the pellets available, you could always turn the power down a bit. AOA has a great price on the standard 25 but the extreme is a heck of alot more....the Cricket 25 seems to be able to put out some higher speeds also, but everyone seems to have to turn them down to get the most out of accuracy. My Bobcat 22 needs 18.1 or more shoooting on high power. It tends to shoot the 16's too fast and they tend to spiral.

When my 25 Cricket arrived. It was shooting the JSB 25.4 gr at 1000 fps for 50 shots from a 220 BAR fill with an ES of 7 fps. I was concerned about accuracy until I went to the 100 yard range. The first six 10 shot groups were ca 1.5 to 2 inches. I decided to leave it alone and use it at the factory setting. Now that the weather is improving I will test it with the 27.8 Benjamin's and 31 gr. H&N. I don,t see how one could push the JSB's any faster and I am loathe to use anything except domed pellets in airguns. In my view slugs are for powder burners. Did that for many years and do not want to repeat.

Reactions: travels4fun