• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

24in AEA Zeus.. 1200fpe!!

So, is there any reason to have an airgun this powerful? It's a huge rifle to carry out to hunt a deer, or bear, or whatever. I just don't see the appeal. At some point, you just go with the firearm. I understand alternative season in some places allow air guns, but only 4 descending shots is comical at best.

Possibly for felons so they can hunt?

Not knocking big bore air guns, I want a 357 actually, but a 72 caliber?

Edit: got to thinking, what if you tune it down to say 900 fpe, what kind of shot count would it get? No, I didn't watch the video so sorry if he says it's adjustable or whatever.

So, is there any reason to have an airgun this powerful? It's a huge rifle to carry out to hunt a deer, or bear, or whatever. I just don't see the appeal. At some point, you just go with the firearm. I understand alternative season in some places allow air guns, but only 4 descending shots is comical at best.

Possibly for felons so they can hunt?

Not knocking big bore air guns, I want a 357 actually, but a 72 caliber?

Edit: got to thinking, what if you tune it down to say 900 fpe, what kind of shot count would it get? No, I didn't watch the video so sorry if he says it's adjustable or whatever.
Got me thinking: if you swapped the barrels n such to a smaller cal(.177 or
22)...what kind of power/shot count you would get from that beast of a rig 🥴

To me shot count and big bore don’t belong in the same thought or sentence. If you are buying a large caliber airgun it is to shoot big animals or at least that should be the reason. One or two shots is all you need. These guns will never be a fun day at the range toy. In my opinion they are def a niche thing as firearms at this level are just so much superior. It’s pretty cool to think of taking a deer or bear with an airgun though. I’ve gotten them with bows, rifles, shotguns and a pistol. Really would like to add an air rifle kill. I may buy one some day but It would sit in the safe and get used a week out of the year. Hard to take the plunge.

To me shot count and big bore don’t belong in the same thought or sentence. If you are buying a large caliber airgun it is to shoot big animals or at least that should be the reason. One or two shots is all you need. These guns will never be a fun day at the range toy. In my opinion they are def a niche thing as firearms at this level are just so much superior. It’s pretty cool to think of taking a deer or bear with an airgun though. I’ve gotten them with bows, rifles, shotguns and a pistol. Really would like to add an air rifle kill. I may buy one some day but It would sit in the safe and get used a week out of the year. Hard to take the plunge.
The neat to add an air rifle kill part went away for me when all of these high power guns became so readily available. It was fun and intriguing when it was a bit of a tuner/boutique type of thing, where one had to either roll their own, know the secret handshake, or wait a year for their gun to be made. Right as the big bore market exploded I was busy modding the Bulldog platform into the high 300fpe range and an Extreme in the 600fpe range. It was fun and satisfying because at the time, one couldn't make an online credit card transaction and instantly achieve similar performance. It required a bit of investment beyond $$$ even if that investment was establishing a relationship and time waiting for their gun to be built. Once things progressed to where anyone with a credit card could make a purchase and in less than a week post up a hunt video high energy big bore lost its aura, at least for me. In my eyes I was no longer interested in medium-large game hunting with an airgun. I'll stick with my old Marlin 1894 for similar duties. It holds 10 rounds, doesn't require a support system, and can be unloaded without a safe discharge requirement.

I am not yucking anyone else's yum here, just sharing my personal experience in higher energy airgunning. Those that enjoy it, please continue sharing your experiences and I will continue to enjoy observing from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trucker3573
The neat to add an air rifle kill part went away for me when all of these high power guns became so readily available. It was fun and intriguing when it was a bit of a tuner/boutique type of thing, where one had to either roll their own, know the secret handshake, or wait a year for their gun to be made. Right as the big bore market exploded I was busy modding the Bulldog platform into the high 300fpe range and an Extreme in the 600fpe range. It was fun and satisfying because at the time, one couldn't make an online credit card transaction and instantly achieve similar performance. It required a bit of investment beyond $$$ even if that investment was establishing a relationship and time waiting for their gun to be built. Once things progressed to where anyone with a credit card could make a purchase and in less than a week post up a hunt video high energy big bore lost its aura, at least for me. In my eyes I was no longer interested in medium-large game hunting with an airgun. I'll stick with my old Marlin 1894 for similar duties. It holds 10 rounds and doesn't require a support system.

I am not yucking anyone else's yum here, just sharing my personal experience in higher energy airgunning. Those that enjoy it, please continue sharing your experiences and I will continue to enjoy observing from the sidelines.
I guess for me it’s more using a weapon that requires you to get them in close. I know people probably shoot deer to 100 and beyond with todays guns but would def be 50-60 max for me. Been watching vids on the 35 challenger pro. I think it might be a tad light for deer though. Might do the job close range though.

I guess for me it’s more using a weapon that requires you to get them in close. I know people probably shoot deer to 100 and beyond with todays guns but would def be 50-60 max for me. Been watching vids on the 35 challenger pro. I think it might be a tad light for deer though. Might do the job close range though.
I agree, I always held public land bow hunters in the highest regard for the challenge of getting in close on a quarry that was highly pressured. Big bore hunting strikes me as close to that, but not quite a muzzleloader. Somewhere in between.

Big bores are just part of the hobby.. just like bows vs crossbows or a simple 30-30 to a 300win mag.. do you really need that extra fps or do you really need the over power fpe? Not really. some people just like to invest into the hobby like love... For me traditional rifles are just to easy with today's ammo you can really shoot a deer at 300 yards with very little practice.. now with my big bore it's all about getting a little closer and finding that right slug or mold to make my own and going out and a little tuning if you can and just in joy shoot it.. all about having fun

Big bores are just part of the hobby.. just like bows vs crossbows or a simple 30-30 to a 300win mag.. do you really need that extra fps or do you really need the over power fpe? Not really. some people just like to invest into the hobby like love... For me traditional rifles are just to easy with today's ammo you can really shoot a deer at 300 yards with very little practice.. now with my big bore it's all about getting a little closer and finding that right slug or mold to make my own and going out and a little tuning if you can and just in joy shoot it.. all about having fun
I still enjoy big bores, the only piece that is no longer as attractive to me as it once was is the hunting with a big bore piece. But keep in mind I haven't hunted in any form in many years.

Pest control, that is a different story and in my area either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on point of view, we do not have any pests that require a big bore to dispatch, lol....

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
72 cal? personally i see it useless......and pretty stupid tbh.
everyone has there own why at looking at things... iv taken many deer with 357 150gr.. and iv taken deer with 72cal 480gr.. both work very well. i can make all my own ammo. i fill that 72cal is a great bush gun or when your in thick pins or maybe in a thick swamp just like what you would use a 12ga for.. theres a tool for every job..lol

everyone has there own why at looking at things... iv taken many deer with 357 150gr.. and iv taken deer with 72cal 480gr.. both work very well. i can make all my own ammo. i fill that 72cal is a great bush gun or when your in thick pins or maybe in a thick swamp just like what you would use a 12ga for.. theres a tool for every job..lol
indeed, i personally have a .45, but this dosen't mean that makes any sense going always bigger. What kind of animal you are looking for that a proper .45 or .50 high speed slug won't make the job? So why heavier, slower, more expensive bullets that are much more sensible to dropping power accuracy?

I wouldn't say slower.. I'm shooting a 440gr just over a 1000 fps .. that's like saying why would u pick a 30-06 over a 30-30 for deer 🤔 .. no real reason just for fun.. lol but I do want to shoot a bear with my 72cal.. I definitely like having that extra power 🤣
i will safely shoot your bear from further away with my .45 :LOL:
:)