2400kt dilemma

I recently moved back to the country where I can shoot very regularly again. Like an idiot I sold off all my airguns that I put so much time and money into. I’m decided on my springer but need opinions regarding a CCS 2400kt. 

My old 2240 (I kept all my old targets and records) with a 24 inch eBay mystery barrel shot select pointed pellets under .2 at 10 yards but generally most pellets opened upto half an inch at 20 and more from there. It shot jsb Stratons at 535fps which seems like it’d be right around peak so I’m curious if velocity would have increased with shorter or longer barrel.

I want to shoot as tight as possible as I stretch out to maybe 40 yards. I’ve seen data on one power plant that optimized velocity with a 16’ barrel but not for this gun which may differ. My problem is deciding between the 14.6LW tapered 12 groove barrel, a Crosman 18 inch 10 groove, or the Crosman 24 inch barrel. 

Any suggestions on barrel or caliber choice? 

I have a factory stock .177 2400KT with the 14" L/W barrel. It puts out about 7fpe and is very accurate if I do my part. The targets below are the from when I first got it. After seeing the what the JSB 7.87s shot like, I stopped trying other pellets. I will say I have never been able to repeat that group, but I've come close many times. Recently I've found it also loves the H&N Finale Match W/Cs in 4.5mm.

5 shots at 20 yards

1587907002_12360096775ea589baae77e3.61118017.JPG
1587907024_18819679365ea589d0675562.05844970.JPG
1587907034_14482621255ea589daa70e90.56741375.JPG

https://youtu.be/Sf0F9YpuOrY

Cahil_2 that does seem odd from my targets at 20 and 30 yards with my mystery barrel. What pellets are you using? Mine loved anything pointed like CP pointed to JSB Stratton. I had some OLD Crosman pointed that were damn near match ready in the gun shooting teeny tiny groups but I think they are discontinued and I only had one tin. Also at 20 yards I’d consider a scope too. I’m looking at my 20 and 30 yard targets as we speak and many are under half an inch at 20. 

Vetmx how far out can you confidently hit under an inch? I’m curious wanting to shoot it out to 40 yards so curious about 30-35 yard accuracy. Ball park really. I’ve never shot an airgun that comes with a LW barrel so am curious if any added accuracy is worth it. I’m worried that they have “price point” products. Meaning if you buy an airarms you get their higher grade barrels but a 55 dollar Crosman custom shop barrel will be equal quality to Crosmans own barrel but just made with different specs. 

Cea1960 thank you for the pics and video. I’m curious about that 46 yard shot. Can you confidently hit that at least once out of say 5 shots? Also are all your 20 yard groups like that? Or is that the best of the best groups? I’ve had some amazing groups like that but not often with my old 24’ mystery barrel. Anything under an inch at 20-25 I was happy enough. 

Vetmx how far out can you confidently hit under an inch? I’m curious wanting to shoot it out to 40 yards so curious about 30-35 yard accuracy. Ball park really. I’ve never shot an airgun that comes with a LW barrel so am curious if any added accuracy is worth it. I’m worried that they have “price point” products. Meaning if you buy an airarms you get their higher grade barrels but a 55 dollar Crosman custom shop barrel will be equal quality to Crosmans own barrel but just made with different specs.

When my 2240 was a CO2 gun it was very accurate but 40 yards was quite a poke with it just lobbing pellets. I got tired of hogged out valves and playing with springs only to have it be temperamental due to the temperature of the day. I put a ninja bottle with a reg on it so I am dealing with a different animal now. I put Crosman LW barrels on a lot of guns and they have yet to disappoint me. Their factory barrels have.