• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

.22cal 18gr Pellet Comparison Test for 3 Brands

Not a pellet comparison, but speed.

This is whyI asked about the speed....I did a test Sun pm at 28 yards. Was testing the 600mm battle on my 22 Mk2 Crown (I normally use the 380, purely because I don't have to change barrels to put back into the case). Saber Gen 2 chassis and bag on the way, so trying to decide between 500, 600 and 700 barrels.

View attachment 397787

Is that a “one hole” 5 shot group (#7) I see at 3 o’clock. 😀

Looks like your Crown does like 600mm barrel and lower velocities in looking at group #’s 4, 5, 6 & especially 7. Your groups from 830 to 879 FPS did much better than 900 FPS+ groups. Push it out to 50y if you can.

Reactions: Mr12PM and ThomasT
Hello everyone,

First off, it is important to remember that these results are for “my rifle” only, not just a JTS Airacuda MAX. Your rifle no matter the Brand or Model could exhibit very different results.

With that stated, I set up several different targets out at 50-yards this morning shooting my JTS MAX .22 cal rifle. I first shot the JTS Dead Center 18.1 domed pellets at two targets just to zero in the Scope and kind of warm up the barrel. All total I shot 120 pellets and I am only showing two photos ( targets ) of the last 25 shots. Target #3 I blanked out the top portion because these were “test” shots while zeroing the Scope. The wind was not bad but I did try and shoot when there was less movement. Shots 95 through 104 you will see four really “off” shots ( most likely flyers ) and several more that were not MOA.

Target #4 were the last 15 shots out of the 120 and actually wound up being the most consistent with three “wild” shots shown with a blue circle. These last 15 do NOT represent the overall accuracy out of the 120, the overall accuracy was not this good.

This experiment is by far not a “complete” test for the JTS pellets, but with that stated and to be totally honest, I am not impressed with this pellet. Will and does it out perform other Brands in my rifle at a closer distance to the target, yes. But I still have more Brands and different weights to try.

Hope this will in some way help. @tommyb

ThomasT

X.AiracudaMax22.50-Yard Test.3.jpg
X.AiracudaMax22.50-Yard Test.4.jpg

Reactions: Mr12PM
Hello everyone,

First off, it is important to remember that these results are for “my rifle” only, not just a JTS Airacuda MAX. Your rifle no matter the Brand or Model could exhibit very different results.

With that stated, I set up several different targets out at 50-yards this morning shooting my JTS MAX .22 cal rifle. I first shot the JTS Dead Center 18.1 domed pellets at two targets just to zero in the Scope and kind of warm up the barrel. All total I shot 120 pellets and I am only showing two photos ( targets ) of the last 25 shots. Target #3 I blanked out the top portion because these were “test” shots while zeroing the Scope. The wind was not bad but I did try and shoot when there was less movement. Shots 95 through 104 you will see four really “off” shots ( most likely flyers ) and several more that were not MOA.

Target #4 were the last 15 shots out of the 120 and actually wound up being the most consistent with three “wild” shots shown with a blue circle. These last 15 do NOT represent the overall accuracy out of the 120, the overall accuracy was not this good.

This experiment is by far not a “complete” test for the JTS pellets, but with that stated and to be totally honest, I am not impressed with this pellet. Will and does it out perform other Brands in my rifle at a closer distance to the target, yes. But I still have more Brands and different weights to try.

Hope this will in some way help. @tommyb

ThomasT

View attachment 397858View attachment 397859
Yes, it does help T. Nice to see your testing at 50Y. Actually, you only had three bulls ( 5, 10 and 19) that were really fliers, and the rest looked pretty good with 3-5 MPH wind and outdoors.

I also went to the range today with the HW100 .22 and tested both the JSB 18.1 and 15.89 pellets. I am still waiting for the JTS 18.1 to arrive. No sorting, straight from tin.

The JSB 18.1 was shooting at approximately 850 FPS, and the 15.89 at 890 FPS. Wind was very light, so it was a good day to test. I was pleased with the JSB pellets, especially for this gun @ 50 yards, because I hardly ever shoot it past 35 yards. I dialed up the HST velocity a bit since I was shooting at 50Y. The chrony runs were pretty solid at 850 FPS for the 18.1's.

JSB 18.1 - Average group size at 50Y was .61"ctc, which was pretty close to MOA. 5/8 groups were about MOA and three were over. The 15.89 was a bit higher at .66" ctc. 3/6 groups were MOA, and three were over MOA.

IMG_9960.jpg

IMG_9961.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
Yes, it does help T. Nice to see your testing at 50Y. Actually, you only had three bulls ( 5, 10 and 19) that were really fliers, and the rest looked pretty good with 3-5 MPH wind and outdoors.

I also went to the range today with the HW100 .22 and tested both the JSB 18.1 and 15.89 pellets. I am still waiting for the JTS 18.1 to arrive. No sorting, straight from tin.

The JSB 18.1 was shooting at approximately 850 FPS, and the 15.89 at 890 FPS. Wind was very light, so it was a good day to test. I was pleased with the JSB pellets, especially for this gun @ 50 yards, because I hardly ever shoot it past 35 yards. I dialed up the HST velocity a bit since I was shooting at 50Y. The chrony runs were pretty solid at 850 FPS for the 18.1's.

JSB 18.1 - Average group size at 50Y was .61"ctc, which was pretty close to MOA. 5/8 groups were about MOA and three were over. The 15.89 was a bit higher at .66" ctc. 3/6 groups were MOA, and three were over MOA.

View attachment 397889

View attachment 397890
Hello @tommyb

You have several really tight groups on those two cards. Pretty much every shot would be a dead tree rat at 50-yards :D

Looking forward to your results when you receive the JTS pellets.

ThomasT

Reactions: tommyb
Hello @tommyb

You have several really tight groups on those two cards. Pretty much every shot would be a dead tree rat at 50-yards :D

Looking forward to your results when you receive the JTS pellets.

ThomasT

Thanks Thomas.

I may switch to the Royale 400 .22 or the Revere .22 for the JTS 18.1 testing, maybe next week.

FWIW - I did test the JTS 25.39 with the RAW HM1000x .22 HP against the JSB 25.39 RDs and at 50 yards, both pellets shot MOA in light wind. But, I retested on another day and the older JSB 25.39 deep cavity RDs shot a bit tighter groups in that session.

• Love
Hello everyone,

I received my order of new 18gr pellets and will now run several shooting test to compare all three Brands. I will test each pellet at 10-meters and then at 25-yards and shoot them straight out of the Tin. After zeroing the scope on a separate target and filling the rifle to 3,000psi, I will shoot eight (8) times at my “Pellet Comparison Second Target” paper target. I will repeat this procedure for every test at both 10-Meters and 25-Yards. The three “open” rings are 1/4", ½" and 3/4" and the Black Dot Bull is 1/8".

The three pellets/brands are:
1) JSB Jumbo Heavy, .22 cal 18.13gr
2) H&N Baracuda 18, .22 cal 18.13gr
3) JTS Dead Center Precision, .22 cal 18.13gr

Below are the results for the 10-Meter Test and I will post the 25-Yard Test results later. As you can see, the JTS is just a hair better in the grouping. It will be interesting to see the 25-yard results.

ThomasT
View attachment 396448

Thomas,
Is this target available to print or is this your own target?
I could make good use of these.

Thank you

• Love
Thomas,
Is this target available to print or is this your own target?
I could make good use of these.

Thank you
Hello @superchikn

Yes it is one of my targets but click on this link and it will take you to some of my Printable Targets and this is one of them. Have fun.

ThomasT

Reactions: Mr12PM
Is that a “one hole” 5 shot group (#7) I see at 3 o’clock. 😀

Looks like your Crown does like 600mm barrel and lower velocities in looking at group #’s 4, 5, 6 & especially 7. Your groups from 830 to 879 FPS did much better than 900 FPS+ groups. Push it out to 50y if you can.
I will as soon as I can find the space to do it.....I'm looking HARD!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: tommyb
Are the JTS 25.4 comparable to the JSB MRDs? The 18s are extremely close to the JSB counterparts in appearance, weight and performance. If you're going to copy, might as well copy the best!

Phil, from my earlier response in this thread…..There also is/are other threads that discuss the two pellet brands. In terms of comparison.

“FWIW - I did test the JTS 25.39 with the RAW HM1000x .22 HP against the JSB 25.39 RDs and at 50 yards, both pellets shot MOA in light wind. But, I retested on another day and the older JSB 25.39 deep cavity RDs shot a bit tighter groups in that session.”

Reactions: ThomasT and Filnez
The new JTS pellets shipped and I received them late last week. I had planned on trying them at 50 yards today (18g), but as I unloaded the truck, I realized I had forgotten them.

In any case, I had a great no wind day for 50 yard testing, so I shot ten 5-shot groups at 50 yards ( JSB 15.89g ) with a .663" CTC average. It will be interesting to see if the JTS 18g can do better than either/both the JSB 15.89 or 18g.

We'll see if I can ever remember to bring them with me next time.

IMG_0050.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: rsfrid and ThomasT
The new JTS pellets shipped and I received them late last week. I had planned on trying them at 50 yards today (18g), but as I unloaded the truck, I realized I had forgotten them.

In any case, I had a great no wind day for 50 yard testing, so I shot ten 5-shot groups at 50 yards ( JSB 15.89g ) with a .663" CTC average. It will be interesting to see if the JTS 18g can do better than either/both the JSB 15.89 or 18g.

View attachment 399627
Hello @tommyb

Yep, it helps to have the pellets when you shoot :ROFLMAO:

Looking forward to see your results.

ThomasT

View attachment 399627
Nice shooting. Can't wait to see the results of the JTS.

View attachment 399627
Wow, that’s impressive shooting Tom especially with 15’s at 50Y.

How about all three? No pressure Tom ;)
OK, I shot the Revere .22 and the HW 100 today at my friend's gorgeous outdoor range ( ELH). Another beautiful NO WIND day. And, I mean not a breeze when we started at 9:45 am this morning. Next time, I will test with FX Royale .22 SmoothTwist.

Shot the JTS 18.1g at 50 yards with both rifles.

HW100 - Eight 5-shot groups at 50Y for a .635" CTC average
Daystate Revere - Five 5-shot groups at 50Y for a .466" sub MOA average

I did not chrony either rifle, so not exactly sure what velocity. Next time, I will check.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

OK, I shot the Revere .22 and the HW 100 today at my friend's gorgeous outdoor range ( ELH). Another beautiful NO WIND day. And, I mean not a breeze when we started at 9:45 am this morning. Next time, I will test with FX Royale .22 SmoothTwist.

Shot the JTS 18.1g at 50 yards with both rifles.

HW100 - Eight 5-shot groups at 50Y for a .635" CTC average
Daystate Revere - Five 5-shot groups at 50Y for a .466" sub MOA average

I did not chrony either rifle, so not exactly sure what velocity. Next time, I will check.

View attachment 400176

View attachment 400177
Hello @tommyb

Looks like both rifles like the JTS pellets.

ThomasT